Alignment...

DAVEYBOY

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I'll try and keep it short...

Basically for a long time I've known that one of my weaknesses in this game is alignment, I've tried a few things to fix this problem but it hasn't helped and like many others I'd imagine I've always worked on other parts of my game that I thought where more important.

Today on the 16th (PGA National) I was waiting for the green to clear and I decided to check my alignment, I put my club down and to say I was aiming left would be an understatement, I was shocked!!!

For the next two holes I used a club for alignment and I hit 3 of the best full shots I'd hit all day, my setup felt great (And very different from my normal setup) and most importantly the contact and shot shape where miles better than what I've been producing lately, for an added bonus I went Par, Birdie through 17 & 18 which are both Par 4's.

I am now going to prioritise alignment in my practice (which is rare) as I feel I can knock a good few shots off my game by improving this basic mistake.

Would you say alignment and aim is one of the biggest killers in the amateur game? I know when I watch groups tee off I always notice how bad some of there aim and alignment is and the results they get from it.

Last edited:

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Absolutely crucial. Critical to get the ball to target, both complete body alignment, but particularly the shoulders as the shoulders will control the direction the swing path is swinging too through impact in relation to the ball/target line.
Also crucial the face angle alignment at address.

As a generalization, alignment (shoulders in particular) more control the degrees from the 0º of the ball/target that the clubhead is traveling on to & through impact, although other 'funky' unusual hand/wrist action, funky weight transfers, also confuses the issue.
Posture, the ability to stay in posture both back to the top of the swing & then down to & through impact more controls the ability to make solid contact with the ball on whatever direction the clubhead is swinging.

If on the occasions I've played in Pro ams or other comps when more put in a mix of handicaps, rather than the scratch comps.
With respect too the many, I'm often completely amazed as to how folks line up, set-up to the ball, which a good percentage of the time bears no real relation to where they are trying to send the ball too.
From a mismatch set up often they put a fairly decent swing motion on the ball, but are then horrified to see either the ball starting direction, the curvature & the end resting place of their ball.

But they are then convinced by what they say after & the motions they then keep going through up to the next shot, that it was completely down to a 'bad swing', sometimes it's both, often it's not the swing overmuch at all. But obviously you can't say anything so have to watch them suffer. If they ask after the round I'd help, sometimes they do often they don't.

Most often too I'm afraid the order in which they set-up both themselves & club has a huge influence on why they end up in real bad alignment & posture too.

Although for some reason on here a lot of folks seem to think a PSR is a real 'bette noire', it seems to get a real bad press. but then curiously the best players in the world all use one! So a simple not overlong PSR where you get used to doing the same things in order each time helps alignment, also in the end put the mind in a quieter place to be ready to put a good swing on the ball.

DAVEYBOY

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Absolutely crucial. Critical to get the ball to target, both complete body alignment, but particularly the shoulders as the shoulders will control the direction the swing path is swinging too through impact in relation to the ball/target line.
Also crucial the face angle alignment at address.

As a generalization, alignment (shoulders in particular) more control the degrees from the 0º of the ball/target that the clubhead is traveling on to & through impact, although other 'funky' unusual hand/wrist action, funky weight transfers, also confuses the issue.
Posture, the ability to stay in posture both back to the top of the swing & then down to & through impact more controls the ability to make solid contact with the ball on whatever direction the clubhead is swinging.

If on the occasions I've played in Pro ams or other comps when more put in a mix of handicaps, rather than the scratch comps.
With respect too the many, I'm often completely amazed as to how folks line up, set-up to the ball, which a good percentage of the time bears no real relation to where they are trying to send the ball too.
From a mismatch set up often they put a fairly decent swing motion on the ball, but are then horrified to see either the ball starting direction, the curvature & the end resting place of their ball.

But they are then convinced by what they say after & the motions they then keep going through up to the next shot, that it was completely down to a 'bad swing', sometimes it's both, often it's not the swing overmuch at all. But obviously you can't say anything so have to watch them suffer. If they ask after the round I'd help, sometimes they do often they don't.

Most often too I'm afraid the order in which they set-up both themselves & club has a huge influence on why they end up in real bad alignment & posture too.

Although for some reason on here a lot of folks seem to think a PSR is a real 'bette noire', it seems to get a real bad press. but then curiously the best players in the world all use one! So a simple not overlong PSR where you get used to doing the same things in order each time helps alignment, also in the end put the mind in a quieter place to be ready to put a good swing on the ball.

Cheers coach... Got any good drills/methods I can put into practice?

I have been using the club shaft vertical behind the ball with my target and the ball both in line with the shaft then pick a spot on the floor in front of the ball method (I think Rose may use it) it doesn't seem to be helping as I get my feet in the wrong place still.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Cheers coach... Got any good drills/methods I can put into practice?

I have been using the club shaft vertical behind the ball with my target and the ball both in line with the shaft then pick a spot on the floor in front of the ball method (I think Rose may use it) it doesn't seem to be helping as I get my feet in the wrong place still.

Through the research papers that have been written, the brains works best in golf as it's primarily a target game, if it's given the most well defined target.
Just through my own experience, by that I mean tee shot of a par 4, my aim isn't 'to hit it on the fairway' the direction to the part of the brain involved is too vague an instruction.
So I'd say that a definitive aim is pretty crucial to the outcome of a good result to the shot. Something that should be done.

Probably easier if I just talk through what I'd do each time, sadly though longer to write out than actually do!!! for each shot. 3 aim points regardless whether tee shot, shot from fairway, pitch, chip or putt. Reasons below.

Has to be some personal preference in it 'the bit before you swing' for you to feel comfortable, but also some things are crucial as in definite not vague target, pick from behind the ball, aim line of 3 points.
I'd say crucial to aim club face square before taking final stance with feet, & not the other way round. the rest really is kinda personal, but that it always repeats, but it doesn't have to be long & drawn out, as it's getting back into the PSR that brings us back to concentrate after shooting the breeze in between shots.

So tee shot I'd first identify which side of the fairway I want to end up on. (to give me the best angle into the green for the next shot)

Then I'd pick a much smaller identification point out, such as maybe a large tree, bush, building on the horizon on the line. Shot to green again definite aim point not just area of the green, often not the pin, depends on if it's a pin placement I feel I can attack. Maybes just a different patch of color green even on the fairway or something back of green. So you really narrow down the point of aim, giving the brain a definite instruction not a vague one.

All this from 5 or so feet behind the ball (you could use the shaft out in front pointing, like Rose for sure if it helps you pick out that line)

Then still from behind I'll pick out something 18" or so, in front of the ball, easier by far to line 3 points up, (rather than just ball/target) That I want to start the ball over.

From behind the ball I'll have a small swing with hands & arms (only person springs to mind that does this in the Irish guy GMac, I don't have a full rehearsal swing myself but thats just a personal thing. If I did though I'd do it behind the ball still.
I wouldn't want to walk around to the side of the ball & have a practice swing there as for me that would interfere with the important job of being sure of my aim line staying foremost in my mind as I visualize the shot, again just a personal thing but aim is the reason why.

So keeping those 3 points in vision, I'll walk around to the side.

This is for me where a lot of ams go wrong (again just my take) in that the first thing they do once at the ball is line the feet up. For me that's the wrong way round, feet first it's so easy to line up wrong.

So I'd prefer to walk in first put the feet together, club in left hand left arm hanging by my side, from the side it's easier for me to get the left hand on properly, I feel it's a good ways easier to get the thumb pad on top of handle with thumb on top left side of handle (Adam Scott you'll always see do this, but it's just something I've always done) Left hand position so crucial to the left hand being able to 'set' the angle properly in the backswing.

Much longer to write out than to do (sorry about that). :rofl:

So then left hand on, then aim club face square to 3 aim points, then put my right hand on, aim shoulders & chest parallel left & lastly shuffle feet in, move the left foot the distance from ball first, easier to consistently get the ball in the correct place in the stance, as I use my chest left pec as ball position guide find it more consistent than using feet as a guide.

Then move right foot the correct width away for the club in hand. As I'm putting my feet in I'm also continuing to settle into the correct posture angles.

Then for me I look twice up the 3 point aim line to target, as soon as my eyes get back to the ball the second time thats the trigger to my takeaway.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I think everyone, from time to time, can drift into a bad alignment. I find that, if I'm in doubt, I can look down at my feet & see quite clearly where they are pointing, which by the way, is parallel left of the target, not directly at the target.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Generally when I am playing poor a little bit of an alignment check can fix me up to a standard where I can get back to golf.

Usually I end up going back too far on the inside and aiming too far left.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I find I tend to default to aiming too far right. I always work with alignment sticks on the range and trying to ensure I'm not too far right on the course. Not always easy and not something I want to focus on too much as I'm trying not to have any swing thoughts over the ball these days

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I solved my alignment, aiming too far left and swinging too much on the inside, which gave me massive hooks or huge blocks.

I pick a target in the distance, find something just infront of the ball along the same line then align my body and swing to the target spot. I know then I can focus on the spot in the distance as I am aligned to it.

Been working pretty well so far and slowing becoming second nature as part of my routine.

Karl102

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Still a problem for me. Especially late on in a round when you get a bit lazy and tired. Some great points to work on though! Thanks

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What would this be then?

A way of thinking of parallel left body alignment, the train tracks run from ball & your feet to your target, rail furthest away from you is aimed straight at the target, the other rail runs parallel left to it so its not aimed directly at the target at all but 'parallel left' of it.
Your feet are 'on one rail' your feet, knees, hips, chest, shoulders are all lined up (parallel left) down this line. The ball is on the other rail track with your club face at 90º & square to it so aimed directly at target.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
A way of thinking of parallel left body alignment, the train tracks run from ball & your feet to your target, rail furthest away from you is aimed straight at the target, the other rail runs parallel left to it so its not aimed directly at the target at all but 'parallel left' of it.
Your feet are 'on one rail' your feet, knees, hips, chest, shoulders are all lined up (parallel left) down this line. The ball is on the other rail track with your club face at 90º & square to it so aimed directly at target.

thanks coach, didnt have time to post more this morning, thought everyone knew about train track alignment though

DAVEYBOY

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
That's how I try to line up for every shot and when I get the sticks out that's the posistion I feel most comfortable in and get great results from.

I had your method in mind on Saturday coach and when I executed the method properly I hit some great drives and a few good irons but on the odd occasion I felt like I was playing twister trying to get into the correct posistion then by the time I was ready to swing I was in a real mess. I didn't put a single club down for alignment all round until the 18th. I had a 7 iron in and I used a club for allignment, the result... A pure shot to 4FT :rofl:

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That's how I try to line up for every shot and when I get the sticks out that's the posistion I feel most comfortable in and get great results from.

I had your method in mind on Saturday coach and when I executed the method properly I hit some great drives and a few good irons but on the odd occasion I felt like I was playing twister trying to get into the correct posistion then by the time I was ready to swing I was in a real mess. I didn't put a single club down for alignment all round until the 18th. I had a 7 iron in and I used a club for allignment, the result... A pure shot to 4FT :rofl:

Yep that's why golf is played for most of the hours you're out there, in the head.
When you think that a slowish downswing takes 3 tenths of a second, regular smooth one around 2 tenths of a second.

Good golf is just about making good choices, decisions through good course management - good thinking, great routine to help keep the negative thoughts out & giving the brain a well defined 'task' by narrowing the aim to target. Then committing to the pre-planned shot. Being able to do this over & over, one shot at a time until you hole out on the 18th. Manage the thoughts to do this & you'll find you just had the best score you ever had.

Once you pick those 3 aim points from behind the ball, then walk round keeping them in your mind through repeated 'looks' down that line. Aim the club face at 90º, aim the body then the feet parallel left. Then it's about trusting in your mind & just committing to making a smooth swing.
Don't let the mind play tricks so you then change those alignments.

DAVEYBOY

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Yep that's why golf is played for most of the hours you're out there, in the head.
When you think that a slowish downswing takes 3 tenths of a second, regular smooth one around 2 tenths of a second.

Good golf is just about making good choices, decisions through good course management - good thinking, great routine to help keep the negative thoughts out & giving the brain a well defined 'task' by narrowing the aim to target. Then committing to the pre-planned shot. Being able to do this over & over, one shot at a time until you hole out on the 18th. Manage the thoughts to do this & you'll find you just had the best score you ever had.

Once you pick those 3 aim points from behind the ball, then walk round keeping them in your mind through repeated 'looks' down that line. Aim the club face at 90º, aim the body then the feet parallel left. Then it's about trusting in your mind & just committing to making a smooth swing.
Don't let the mind play tricks so you then change those alignments.

Cheers coach I'll keep you updated :thup: