Advice/tips/drills/help needed please!

richy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi all,

I need some help or a drill to sort out a problem I've got.

During my downswing when I my club hits the ball Im lifting my left hip which is resulting it a push/fade. I know I need to bring my hips round instead of up but I'm struggling to do this. Also when looking at my swing from behind, as I hit the ball you can see both of my arms where as on a decent swing you cant (hope that makes sense). I think I need to open my shoulders more on impact???

Its also causing me not to take a divot and thinning quite a few shots also.

Does anyon have any drills or advice I can try. I know what Im doing wrong, I just cant seem to stop.

Thanks in advance

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
To promote a turn instead of a slide try making sure that your belt buckle faces the target after impact. Try it, it's a nice easy quick tip that I'm sure will help.

richy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm pretty sure my belt buckle faces the target in my finishing position, it's just how it gets there. It's really ugly and spoiling alot of my shots.

Not sure how I started to do it as I never used to.

Come on people help me out. I know someone must be able to give me some advice.

(thanks drawboy)

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not sure if by lifting your hip you mean sliding through?
If so, then I used to slide through the ball, instead of getting a body turn in, the pro I was taking lessons from at the time told me I needed to feel like i was standing in a barrell. so that you have to turn instead of slide. You could maybe try this as a drill, put an empty golf bag at your left side then when you swing, turn through so as not to knock it over, if you slide, the bag will fall.
hope it made sense.
JT

richy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks James that sounds like it could work. My left hip sort of lifts and slides at the same time the my whole body follows except my head. Really ugly and uncomfortable with a terrible result.
I'll try what you suggested and hopefully it will sort it

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I have had the same slide problem. Try imagining your left hip is resting against a wall, and then swing with that thought. Works for me and worth a try ?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
The reason some people do this is they feel they have to tilt their body back to lift the ball up into the air.
Try putting a head cover about a foot behind the ball .This will improve your downward attack on the ball giving you some nice divots and using the loft to get the height

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
www.ecclestonparkgolf.co.uk
I had a lesson last week with my pro, he had me on camera and pointed out the exact same thing.

Something which worked pretty much instantly was to use the following drill as part of my pre-shot routine.

Stand with feet together, with the club you intent to take the shot with completea full swing concentrating on keeping you bottom half(legs) still. Try a couple of these then take your stance and take a normal swing.

He had me try this on the camera, then compared my swing before and after, there was a marked difference. Try it out at the range to, hit a few balls with feet together. I started hitting with a slight draw 1 in 10. The rest went pretty much dead straight