Advice please

Jay

Hacker
Visit site
Im 16, and havent played golf in 4 years, I used to have lessons when i was younger 9-11 And then quit as i moved to the other side of the world. I am now back home and planning on starting again, i have bought new clubs and a year membership to my local club. When i used to have the lessons The Club pro used to tell me that i was a natural etc, I was just wondering how long it would take me to get very good at golf again, I currently only hit the ball about 200 yards.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Really depends on how much you practice. Get regular lessons, once a month at least and practice as much as possible. Even if it is 5 mins swinging without a club in front of the mirror every night.

You get back what you put in with golf... If the gods like you that is :D

The distance thing is all technique related, once you groove a good swing it will be much better.

Play 9 holes once a week, 18 once a week and range/putting/chipping once or twice a week plus 5 mins a night infront of a mirror is the minumum to really get good.

Add in golf specific exercises and stretches as well as time spent putting at home (with a V-Easy if possible) and you can really start improving fast.

Once you feel you have got it, pop some cards in and play comps!

Jay

Hacker
Visit site
Thanks so much for your help, and i think ill be practicing more than that, ive just left school and summer is coming up, im going to a college near me and they do golf academy and it says they want Single handicapers and people that can improve? does that mean below 10 or just people with a handicap??

GOLFER1994

Head Pro
Visit site
Where do you live mate? :)
I am also 16 and i would advise getting a lesson with a pro asap because i have slowly developed an out to in swing which i now need to get rid of so make sure you dont develop any bad habits!
Good Luck!

Jay

Hacker
Visit site
Live in Lostwithiel in cornwall, what about you mate, Also do golf shoes help alot? i have some just there to small :)

jasondransfieldgolf

Challenge Tour Pro
jasondransfieldgolf.wordpress.com
I would suggest seeing a pro if you can and working lots and lots on your short game, find other juniors to play with and especially to have practice games on the putting green/chipping green. Having some golf shoes that fit will help. You will have better stability.
Oh did I mention practice, practice and more practice.

jasondransfieldgolf

Challenge Tour Pro
RGDave I do remember. I would ride my bike every day of the holidays about 2 miles to the course getting there about 8.30 and staying nearly till dark. Most days where spent playing 2 or 3 rounds and lots of putting comps with the other juniors. We would always be making up games to play. When I couldn't get over to the course I would always be chipping in my back garden. I didn't have time to do much else but golf.

RGDave I do remember. I would ride my bike every day of the holidays about 2 miles to the course getting there about 8.30 and staying nearly till dark. Most days where spent playing 2 or 3 rounds and lots of putting comps with the other juniors. We would always be making up games to play. When I couldn't get over to the course I would always be chipping in my back garden. I didn't have time to do much else but golf.

Ditto, those were the days, games of who could hook or slice a 9 iron round a tree, cross country golf, play a hole using just the 3 iron, chipping or bunker comps at every hole etc etc all helped to increase creativity because it was fun, going home exhausted but satisfied when it was dark to do it all over again the next day.
It kept me away from the other temptations of teenagers which was good, except girls of course, we were lucky to have some stunning female members of the same age to 'play around' with.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site

Thanks for this. Just goes to show how much golf you played. Nice one. :)

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I stopped for 20 years (used to play off 10) and it took me a couple of months to get back to where I was before.

I stopped for nearly 10 years (used to play off 8-9) and I still haven't got back to where I was before.

Spot the difference. :)

Jay

Hacker
Visit site
I have joined up to Lostwithiel golf club, And i was just wondering if any of you know any good training to do at the range so far i just chip putt And then drive the ball, Also iron work aswell. and ocassionaly bunker work. Is there any other things i could be doing to improve my game?

Jay

Hacker
Visit site
No not yet, as i have only just started golf again :) although i have played in australia :) i heard carloyn bay is supposed to be very good

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
No not yet, as i have only just started golf again :) although i have played in australia :) i heard carloyn bay is supposed to be very good

Recommend a knock round Lanhyrdock. Nice course, some good holes on there. A bit tight in places, but some really good water holes. Hate the bloody 6th.
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Jay

Hacker
Visit site
Have you played Lostwithiel, First 6 holes are uphill and tiring but a nice downhill slope on the way down, a couple of sharp bends and if your not used to the course can hard to guess where the hole is. But lovely taken care of and very good, A couple of water hazards and hole number 8 is breath taking, Its a par 3 and a 150-200 ft drop down, you just chip it down onto the green and putt it in for a birdie if all goes well.

jasondransfieldgolf

Challenge Tour Pro
I have joined up to Lostwithiel golf club, And i was just wondering if any of you know any good training to do at the range so far i just chip putt And then drive the ball, Also iron work aswell. and ocassionaly bunker work. Is there any other things i could be doing to improve my game?

Have as much fun as you can, when you have fun you will learn. Also play with as many different people as you can.

Jay

Hacker
Visit site
Went up today and played terrible, There is only really one person who im friends with that plays golf and he is a 18 handicapper, and im yet to get handicaped, Also should i find out my handicap soon? or shall i leave it untill im better