Advice on Adams Hybrids please

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Had a look at other threads but this is a different question.

I love my old Adams A7OS hybrid, here's one that I'm obviously not selling!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Adams-Idea-a7OS-Hybrid-4-iron-A-Flex-Left-Handed-Graphite-Golf-Club-2151-/162012094490?hash=item25b8ac601a:g:VgcAAOSwgQ9V0aJa

Now I do like my Adams Idea 3 hybrid,

http://www.golfbidder.co.uk/models/5266/Adams_Fairway_idea_2014_Hybrid.html?SearchClubType=0&ConditionMin=5&ConditionMax=10&YearFrom=0&YearTo=9999&PriceFrom=0&PriceTo=999&Keyword=adams%20idea&SortOrder=0

as in it goes, but I much prefer the solid feel of the 4 as opposed to the hollow feel at impact, which I assume is caused by the slot technology?

Question is, do all "slot" enabled Adams feel like that? Or is there more of a feeling of real contact from the Pro, DHY, or other offerings?

Just interested to find out what people think of the different ranges in that respect. Sound.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The Pro are the best Hybrid i have ever hit. Feel amazing, go miles and look very pretty.

I have the DHY and whilst easy to hit and super long, i do find the feel very clicky.

I am recently a near total convert to adams gear. Its superb value for money in the UK

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The Pro are the best Hybrid i have ever hit. Feel amazing, go miles and look very pretty.

I have the DHY and whilst easy to hit and super long, i do find the feel very clicky.

I am recently a near total convert to adams gear. Its superb value for money in the UK

Agreed re value and looking the business, intertesting to hear that about the DHYs, funny that the Pro has slots in the crown and sole (just like the Idea) but you reckon they are more solid, which is what I'm looking for.

Nice one

Edit - I assume the "mini" version is pretty unforgiving- that head looks tiny!

Last edited:

Badger

Assistant Pro
Visit site
have the pro 20 deg and xtd 23 deg. hadn't really thought about it until you asked the question but the pro does have a more "solid" feel than the xtd which although not "hollow" feels a bit more delicate.

pro does go a long way and attracts plenty of admiring glances

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
have the pro 20 deg and xtd 23 deg. hadn't really thought about it until you asked the question but the pro does have a more "solid" feel than the xtd which although not "hollow" feels a bit more delicate.

pro does go a long way and attracts plenty of admiring glances

Great, that would certainly steer me away from XTDs, it's madness cos my Idea really is a good club, I just can't help feeling it could feel better...

Keep em coming y'all, much appreciated

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've got the ideal pro a12 in 17/20* combo, it's the smaller headed version.

Currently my game is fragile and I've been using my 17* as a driver. I'm dreading the day that I have to replace these two 😕

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I've got 'the set' of XTDs and I really love them. Though the 18* might be being parked in favour of an XTD 5-Wood. The head size/forgiveness is the right balance for me and they do perform!

Also have the DHy (4), which works well off the tee, but not so well/forgiving off the deck. I've had several Adams hybrids in the past and while one was a bit dull, they all did the job I bought them for perfectly!

It's hard to describe 'feel', as it's so personal, but the XTDs are solid, if tad clicky. Your favourite seems to be rather like the original TM Rescue - solid 'thump' that breeds confidence! The only real way to work out whether you like the feel is to try them. The shaft also makes a significant contribution - Adams have always done that properly too!

SugarPenguin

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Pro does feel very solid when hit and not as tinny than all other hybrids.

its a fantastic club but don't expect it to be amazing from the rough or bad lies.
it acts more as a driving iron with a bit more forgiveness.

Hendy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Love my xtd with blue px 5.5 18 degrees.

Goes a mile, well a easy 200 yards. Never see a hybrid like it. Am yet to hit anything like it.

Not sure why they made the pro I guess they needed to sell more clubs lol.

mikeb4

Head Pro
Visit site
Adams Hybrids, historically great, one of the biggest sellers of Hybrids in the states, great reputation etc, but i personally struggled with them, had the A12OS which were ok, had a shot of the Idea 3 hybrid and could not get it off the ground, imo the Nike Hybrids Vapor Speed are far easier to hit and more forgiving.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Nice one all, seems there is love for XTD and DHYs as well as opposed to earlier in the thread, I know it's very subjective. Certainly agree that the shafts are good, no issue getting the Idea airborne so happy enough to plough the Adams road further. Like I say, and again a very subjective measure, I was trying to get a feeling for how people viewed the feeling at impact. I think this has certainly shed some light on that. I fear a clicky impact won't appeal, and I'm a big believer in shelf-appeal (it won't matter to some but it makes a difference to me to love the club I'm taking out of the bag).

I've just picked up a Mizzy MP Fli Hi 4 iron (the ones with the light Nippons) to bookend my 5i-PW set, a few smacks out the back field suggest it goes like holy snot. So I need to get out and figure out where that sits with my current set up and 4h. I've also just added a 3 wood and having never had a fairway wood before it's really added a significant new option. Filling the gap is the next step and from the advice above I think the Pro might suit best, though I'm confused as to why they've made them in 18, 20, 23?!

Seems a really small gap from 18 to 20?!

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Nice one all, seems there is love for XTD and DHYs as well as opposed to earlier in the thread, I know it's very subjective. Certainly agree that the shafts are good, no issue getting the Idea airborne so happy enough to plough the Adams road further. Like I say, and again a very subjective measure, I was trying to get a feeling for how people viewed the feeling at impact. I think this has certainly shed some light on that. I fear a clicky impact won't appeal, and I'm a big believer in shelf-appeal (it won't matter to some but it makes a difference to me to love the club I'm taking out of the bag).

I've just picked up a Mizzy MP Fli Hi 4 iron (the ones with the light Nippons) to bookend my 5i-PW set, a few smacks out the back field suggest it goes like holy snot. So I need to get out and figure out where that sits with my current set up and 4h. I've also just added a 3 wood and having never had a fairway wood before it's really added a significant new option. Filling the gap is the next step and from the advice above I think the Pro might suit best, though I'm confused as to why they've made them in 18, 20, 23?!

Also

Direct golf are selling them silly cheap currently. £55 quid for a pro hybrid from memory. IMO the pro is more "Tingy" thank "clicky" which may sut your ears better.

I forgot to mention

I did a head to head with an i25 3 wood Stiff PWR v my Pro 18* hybrid with the tour red shaft. The hybrid was soooo much easier to hit and was only carrying maybe 10-15 yards less. Its a beast of a club.

Last edited:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
...Filling the gap is the next step and from the advice above I think the Pro might suit best, though I'm confused as to why they've made them in 18, 20, 23?!

I can assure you that the gap is noticeable, but at this time of year it's mainly flight/launch. I've actually moved the 18* XTD into the spare bag and may sell it - as I still have an old faithful 19* TM Rescue Mid for the spare bag and will simply flip the 20* to 21 or so. The 23* in the main bag is rapidly becoming the 'goto' club - though a 15* upped to 16.5 is the equivalent for distance off the fairway!

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Direct golf are selling them silly cheap currently. .

You're not wrong, the Reds are going for £64, anyone tried them?

The 23* in the main bag is rapidly becoming the 'goto' club - though a 15* upped to 16.5 is the equivalent for distance off the fairway!

That's interesting (not the selling part, I have no business with a red tie S!), but about the performance off the fairway.

As far as that goes, the stoick shafts are usually pretty good in Adams but I notice there are a lot of upgrade options (Oban, Matrix etc), is it worth the extra dosh? Or is it just a case that those might suit you better were you custom fit for one.

Sound!

Keeno

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have the min pro 20deg. Its a lovely club, but I would say its fairly difficult to hit as hybrids go.

Well worth a punt if your a decent striker of the ball.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have the min pro 20deg. Its a lovely club, but I would say its fairly difficult to hit as hybrids go.

Well worth a punt if your a decent striker of the ball.

That is as I thought to be fair so thanks for the confirmation, think they're a bit too mini for my level just yet!