Advice after buying new irons

jamiemc88

Visit site
Hi I'm after a bit of help in regards to a recent purchase I made, let me first paint a picture for you, I'm a 19 handicapper, played for a few years when I was younger had a few years off there and came back this year to play, ive had a set of nike pro combo irons for that whole time, which I was kind of inconsistent with some shots I would hit absolutely perfect others not so, it was recommended to me as there forged blades to switch to a cavity back game improvement type iron to hit more consistent shots, so I impulse purchased a set of mizuno mx17s which seemed to fit the description, had them out the last few days and haven't really been able to get them off the ground and when I did they were slicing, upon further investigation the irons are a full 1 inch shorter than my previous irons, will this have such a dramatic affect on my swing or is it just getting used to the change of clubs? is it something a few lessons and a few changes in stance or swing could correct or is it a waste of time trying to play clubs that are probably too short? thanks for any help that comes in advance.

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Would recommend at the very least a static fit, correct length is important as that then feeds into other variable like lie angles, swingweights etc

An inch is very big difference, take for example Chris Wood the tallest player on tour only has his irons .75" long, Karlsson who is the same height has his + 1"

Were your Nikes special in any way or are the Mizunos just short?

jamiemc88

Visit site
nothing special about the nikes at all, just stock off the shelf irons, the mizunos I think have been fitted specifically for the person who had them before. just been out on the range with them and showed no improvement through 75 balls, came away with a bit of a sore back, could it be I'm over compensating in my head theyre shorter therefor leaning over more? ive delayed getting lessons for too long and a proper in depth look into my swing and what my needs are, its probably for the best that it should be my next move.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
sounds for sure that the miz's compromise the posture & that's goin to affect the swing motion and strike

book a lesson take both nike & miz set's 5i,6i,7i irons with you if the Pro thinks the heads of the miz's could help the game a bunch more than the nike's

then you could put the miz iron set in an easy get length extensions in to bring them back to normal length if the grips are still in pretty good condition Pro could take them off and then replace them but if the rubber is a bunch too worn and a gone tad hard would have to get them re-gripped as well as extended

worth getting the lies/lofts checked over at the same time