Adding power to the downswing - When?

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Afternoon all.

As I'm sure most of you know, I've recently started a bettery of lessons to try and get my swing something that doesn't resemble mauling a donkey down a fire escape while on fire.

Up until recently, it's been going well but now I've hit a bit of an impass and could do with some opinion/help.

The focus of my last lesson was the start of the downswing. My pro wants me to start the swing from the ground up and wants me to feel my right shoulder move down and my right elbow move in.

My problem has always been a throw at the top, by starting down with the hips it should bring the club down on the correct plane.

No matter how hard I try I cannot do this :mad:

I know I'm still in the process of learning the correct sequence and feeling to this part of the swing.

So, as per my title, when should you add power to the downswing?

S

Snelly

I think that is a difficult question to answer. Especially over a forum like this.

In terms of power in the downswing, I have always thought Fred Couples swing to be instructive on this. Have a look on you tube and watch how he achieves a "late hit" by whipping his forearms and hands through the bottom of the swing into the hitting area. This is a sure fire way to increase clubhead speed if you can time it properly. Ernie Els is similar. Looks effortless but they uncock their wrists pretty late and generate very high speeds through the ball. Not easy though...

This is the best I can suggest.

My only other comment would be that being asked to start the downswing with the right shoulder is something I can't quite work out and would find that a very difficult thing to do personally. But what do I know? As you can see above, I am no teacher and nor do I claim to be one. Far from it.

Snelly.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
My only other comment would be that being asked to start the downswing with the right shoulder is something I can't quite work out and would find that a very difficult thing to do personally. But what do I know? As you can see above, I am no teacher and nor do I claim to be one. Far from it.

Sorry Snelly, what I was trying to describe came across wrong.

He wants me to start the downswing by turning my hips and get a feeling of my right shoulder dropping and my right elbow moving inward.

If you watch this from about 10 seconds in it's easier to see than me describing it :mad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08rpqW2Z9Vw

Sorry for the confusion.

Would you have all these thoughts if someone gave you a broom handle and asked you to swing it as fast as you can?

Probably not James and, to be fair, you have hit the nail on the head.

Last edited:

SimonC

Head Pro
Visit site
How about having the feeling of keeping your back to the target for a little longer, this should get the lower body starting the downswing which in turn will create power. Pretty much what your pro is telling you to do but it's just a different way of describing the move.

timchump

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
my toughts are similar to this if i want to go for a big drive, i imagine leaving the club behind me like a baseball hitter i suppose,
i turn my hips into the ball leave the club back behind, so its working down my back and at the last moment it pops out to hit the ball, by whch time my body is pretty open to the target

not sure if that makes much sense lol

Last edited:
A

Alex1975

My pro has given me a really good position to work on that may help you. I shall get the Mrs to take a photo and PM you.

Another good thing to do is grip your club by the head so that the grip in pointing at the ground (so club upside down) and play a shot. Hear where the woosh is and then move the woosh to where it should be. Its along the lines of what James is saying. Also the baseball players swing is good. or even make the baseball swing with your club. For whatever reason humans make a baseball swing pretty naturally with lag in the bat and all that good stuff. You will feel where the power comes in!

Last edited:

scratch

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Afternoon all.

As I'm sure most of you know, I've recently started a bettery of lessons to try and get my swing something that doesn't resemble mauling a donkey down a fire escape while on fire.

Up until recently, it's been going well but now I've hit a bit of an impass and could do with some opinion/help.

The focus of my last lesson was the start of the downswing. My pro wants me to start the swing from the ground up and wants me to feel my right shoulder move down and my right elbow move in.

My problem has always been a throw at the top, by starting down with the hips it should bring the club down on the correct plane.

No matter how hard I try I cannot do this :mad:

I know I'm still in the process of learning the correct sequence and feeling to this part of the swing.

So, as per my title, when should you add power to the downswing?

TBH, I don't understand why you are asking this question on here, surely you should be asking your pro. That's what you are paying him good money for.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
TBH, I don't understand why you are asking this question on here, surely you should be asking your pro. That's what you are paying him good money for.

Definition - Word - Forum: A meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.

:thup:

..... And if he was available rather than sunning his behind at a golf resort in Turkey (Balek I think) I would :D

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Why would someone having such an intensive course of lessons come on here and look for answers beyond those lessons?

Bad idea imo.

Any questions you have, ask the pro, you'll only end up setting yourself back time and time again.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Why would someone having such an intensive course of lessons come on here and look for answers beyond those lessons?

Bad idea imo.

Any questions you have, ask the pro, you'll only end up setting yourself back time and time again.

You didn't read post #10 did you :mmm:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I agree re Pro vs Forum - and envious about where he is at the moment!

I saw and used an interesting training aid that might help - though it's a Pro's aid.

A slightly twisted club (training aid grip of course) with an attachment that looks like the rest of a hire trolley at the end. This should end up on shoulders at top of back-swing and the idea is to keep it therefor as long as you can/dare on the down-swing. Certainly gets the feeling of moving the hips first and 'dropping' the left arm - in my 2PS case- rather than casting!

Keep up with the practice/feeling. You may end up overdoing it, but I'm sure it'll feel right soon and the cast/throw will feel all wrong and foreign!

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Just to clarify, I have no interest in changing something my pro has me working on for the next 3 weeks.

I'd be wasting my £ if I did.

All I'm looking for is where you good people consider it correct to add power during the downswing.

The movement I'm starting to get to grips with. I've checked myself in mirror and it's coming together quite well. I'm still curious where the power comes from though, as it's definately not at transition.

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
Is there a risk your over thinking this one?

Throwing the club at the top is a problem I have/have had and the best solution I was given was to shorten my swing. Taking the hands back shoulder high and then pull the trigger, boom! Simple and creates more power than taking the club back round my ears and losing the power as soon as I chuck it away on the down swing. I've probably not explained that particularly eloquently, but hopefully you get my drift.

Good luck

scratch

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Just to clarify, I have no interest in changing something my pro has me working on for the next 3 weeks.

All I'm looking for is where you good people consider it correct to add power during the downswing.

The movement I'm starting to get to grips with. I've checked myself in mirror and it's coming together quite well. I'm still curious where the power comes from though, as it's definately not at transition.

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post. It seems that I and several others on here think the same thing.....namely why pay a trained professional to teach you something then ask a bunch of handicap golfers for advice.

But it's up to you, I can give you loads of tips if you want but more than likely they will go against what you are currently being taught.

Your choice :confused:

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post. It seems that I and several others on here think the same thing.....namely why pay a trained professional to teach you something then ask a bunch of handicap golfers for advice.

But it's up to you, I can give you loads of tips if you want but more than likely they will go against what you are currently being taught.

Your choice :confused:

No problem pal. I answered a similar point earlier

As I say, just after opinions, that's all.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com

For me it's here.... (well that's where it feels), as the left hip clears backwards...

image.gif

There's no real speed up until this point.

With a driver you can 'gun it' a bit earlier as you don't need to lag the driver.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Thanks for that James :thup:

That, pretty much, echos what my pro said. Not so much in relation to power but actually starting the downswing by letting the hips turn and clear. By doing this your arms 'drop' into place with out powering them down. This is where my problem is and where I'm currently working. I tend to involve my arms, power wise from the top.

The above I could understand, but couldn't understand where adding the power came into the swing