Acustrike mat opinions?

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Thinking about getting one of these:

https://www.acustrikegolf.co.uk/product-page/outdoor-mat

Having recently had a GCQuad session reveal that my fundamental problem is an out-to-in swing path, it seems like the ideal tool to assist me in fixing that.

The thing I'm most concerned about is the durability - how long do they last?

Anyone with any experience with it?
Dunno but you could just put something outside your line near the ball as an aid to changing swing path.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have not used them, or anything like them.
However the first thing for me, is that it promotes your eye to follow the club head, rather than the ball.....and I talk as someone who has spent ages making sure the club head follows a certain path etc and who struggles now to not watch the club head and instead focus fully on watching the ball the whole time.
I always found a second ball placed about 6 inches back and slightly outside the ball you want to hit as a better method of promoting the in to out swing. You dont need to watch it, just make your muscles and swing do it or else its billiards at the range.
That was how I was taught to do and practice it. I just wish I had never started to watch the club head path and takeaway.:(

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Thinking about getting one of these:

https://www.acustrikegolf.co.uk/product-page/outdoor-mat

Having recently had a GCQuad session reveal that my fundamental problem is an out-to-in swing path, it seems like the ideal tool to assist me in fixing that.

The thing I'm most concerned about is the durability - how long do they last?

Anyone with any experience with it?
Might want to check this out

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I’d love to have one to work on fat shots. But I just don’t think I’d pay the price as it currently is.

Otherwise it looks useful. I’ve watched Dan’s vid from above and it’s diffixult to tell if the mat is sensitive to air flow or if the trakman (or whichever it was) was incorrect.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I’d love to have one to work on fat shots. But I just don’t think I’d pay the price as it currently is.

Otherwise it looks useful. I’ve watched Dan’s vid from above and it’s diffixult to tell if the mat is sensitive to air flow or if the trakman (or whichever it was) was incorrect.
Would doubt it is the launch monitor at fault

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Might want to check this out
Thanks for the link, Homer.

I note that he suggests the mat would be useful for analysing path problems (which is my major issue). But what interested me was that when he was swinging 3 degrees in to out (according to trackman), the path on the mat looked pretty much neutral, or even very slightly out to in. So I wonder if that might deceive you into over-compensating.

I also have a theory about why the mat was apparently showing fats, when he clearly wasn't doing that. The mat is not nailed down, and doesn't appear to be very heavy. I reckon that as the clubhead passes over the mat just before the ball, the speed creates a pressure drop which lifts the mat causing the club to very slightly brush it on the way through. (Using tee pegs to secure it at the corners probably isn't going to help, because the anchor points are too far away from the ball to stop much of the lift. Perhaps nailing it down close to the ball would help).

On balance I think robinthehood's suggestion of just putting something down outside the line makes the best sense.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have not used them, or anything like them.
However the first thing for me, is that it promotes your eye to follow the club head, rather than the ball.....and I talk as someone who has spent ages making sure the club head follows a certain path etc and who struggles now to not watch the club head and instead focus fully on watching the ball the whole time.
I always found a second ball placed about 6 inches back and slightly outside the ball you want to hit as a better method of promoting the in to out swing. You dont need to watch it, just make your muscles and swing do it or else its billiards at the range.
That was how I was taught to do and practice it. I just wish I had never started to watch the club head path and takeaway.:(
Agree totally with the extra ball drill. I was really struggling with a pull to the left and the pro sorted me in minutes using this drill. Still use it now to check my path.
Only thing is try not to get too confident with the ball placing and make sure it is a sensible distance from the one you are hitting

I just ordered one of these today. Reason being im trying to learn to take the turf after the ball and struggling. My good shots are always a clean shot with no turf getting took, so maybe this will help me.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I just ordered one of these today. Reason being im trying to learn to take the turf after the ball and struggling. My good shots are always a clean shot with no turf getting took, so maybe this will help me.

Some people are pickers, some are diggers.
If you're hitting it well without a divot I wouldn't worry about it.