A new training aid

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Just got back from a session at the range which turned into a very interesting and unexpected experience. It was very quiet, however there were two people from a company in the process of developing a new training/coach software who were after guinea pigs to take data from. They basically were giving out a free 30 minute session on their trackman so they could take some data, all sounds fairly simple, the down side was that I ended up having to put on a full length lycra suit which was loaded with sensors, including a nice headband so they could measure head movement and sensors in my shoes so they could track weight movement. At this point I was extremely glad there were only 2 other people on the upper level at the range.

At the minute they were only taking data using a driver, which for anyone who knows me on here will know I don't even own a driver never mind like using one, but I took this as a positive as it will show me straight away where I am going wrong.

So I hit some warm up shots using my 7 iron (approx 20 shots), 18 of them were nice and consistent (for me), 2 miss hits which went off to the right. Average numbers from the shots (removing the 2 bad ones) were a swing speed of 82mph, swing path of 4 degrees in to out and a club face to path angle of 0.4 degrees (varied from about 2 degrees closed to 2 degrees open). Cant remember the angle of attack, but spin rate was 5500 as an average. All in all I was pretty happy with these numbers.... no idea what the spin rate should be so if anyone knows let me know.

Onto the driver, again a few warm up shots and then into the full data taking mode, all the sensors switched on, 2 cameras on me (from behind and DTL). I hit 20 shots for them to take data with and they were all very consistent, I guess this is good as I will receive good info on what I need to do to correct the issues. Figures for the driver were, swing speed of 102mph swing path of around 5 degrees (so roughly the same as my 7 iron), however my average face/path angle was also 5 degrees open....so I'm sure you can all guess where my shots ended up. Angle of attack on the driver was 2 degrees up, so i was pretty happy with this, ball carry was 230 yards. I just need to figure out how to stop leaving the face open and Ill be back to using a driver.

All in all it was a good experience, it will be very interesting to get the data back from the sensors and connect up each swing from trackman with its corresponding video of my swing. I will put up some pictures of me in the suit when the videos come through so you can all have a laugh and will post up the data as some people may be interested in it.

Alucard

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I am not so scientific, I just have a small Christmas card box and weight it down in place with a few spare golf balls and place it on the arc of my golf swing at the driving range when I practice with the driver, 3 wood etc.
I aim to take the club away on the inside of the box close to it but without touching it and deliver it back a little more on the inside of the box missing it by a little more than the take away and it produces a nice little draw on the shot.

If I try to come from out to in then by trying to hit too early on the downswing I am alerted of my error as I catch the edge of the box and no damage it done, its cheap and it works.

I was at the range today for a couple of hours working on this and later my putting.
You can tell by how the club feels at contact and the distance of the ball and its flight if its a good shot or not.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just got back from a session at the range which turned into a very interesting and unexpected experience. It was very quiet, however there were two people from a company in the process of developing a new training/coach software who were after guinea pigs to take data from. They basically were giving out a free 30 minute session on their trackman so they could take some data, all sounds fairly simple, the down side was that I ended up having to put on a full length lycra suit which was loaded with sensors, including a nice headband so they could measure head movement and sensors in my shoes so they could track weight movement. At this point I was extremely glad there were only 2 other people on the upper level at the range.

At the minute they were only taking data using a driver, which for anyone who knows me on here will know I don't even own a driver never mind like using one, but I took this as a positive as it will show me straight away where I am going wrong.

So I hit some warm up shots using my 7 iron (approx 20 shots), 18 of them were nice and consistent (for me), 2 miss hits which went off to the right. Average numbers from the shots (removing the 2 bad ones) were a swing speed of 82mph, swing path of 4 degrees in to out and a club face to path angle of 0.4 degrees (varied from about 2 degrees closed to 2 degrees open). Cant remember the angle of attack, but spin rate was 5500 as an average. All in all I was pretty happy with these numbers.... no idea what the spin rate should be so if anyone knows let me know.

Onto the driver, again a few warm up shots and then into the full data taking mode, all the sensors switched on, 2 cameras on me (from behind and DTL). I hit 20 shots for them to take data with and they were all very consistent, I guess this is good as I will receive good info on what I need to do to correct the issues. Figures for the driver were, swing speed of 102mph swing path of around 5 degrees (so roughly the same as my 7 iron), however my average face/path angle was also 5 degrees open....so I'm sure you can all guess where my shots ended up. Angle of attack on the driver was 2 degrees up, so i was pretty happy with this, ball carry was 230 yards. I just need to figure out how to stop leaving the face open and Ill be back to using a driver.

All in all it was a good experience, it will be very interesting to get the data back from the sensors and connect up each swing from trackman with its corresponding video of my swing. I will put up some pictures of me in the suit when the videos come through so you can all have a laugh and will post up the data as some people may be interested in it.

Stevie at least you can carry off the Lycra look, unlike me :mad:.As the late Jeremy Beadle said, you've been framed.:D

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

maybes check grip and shoulder alignments given driver shot outcomes plus check staying in posture not raising up a bunch an leaning back off the ball some coming into impact - check most of the weight at impact isn't still on the trail side

as for spin rate depends what 'type' of irons were being used

what say folks would consider 'better player' smaller heads to blade type irons with more of an 'old money' cg placement and 'lofts' again more 'old money' style then with irons (assuming center strike) ball park figures would be 1000 rpm x iron#,
so 7i someways in the region of 6,500 to 7,500 aprox

but if more game improvement bigger style heads with lower cg placement for higher launch and lower lofts could get anything from 3,500 ish to 5,500 ish give or take some either ways depending on CHS, AoA etc and most importantly where on the face the strike is coming from
catch the ball higher up on the face so there's that kinda 'slap' contact noise then the spinrate will be a bunch lower

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
maybes check grip and shoulder alignments given driver shot outcomes plus check staying in posture not raising up a bunch an leaning back off the ball some coming into impact - check most of the weight at impact isn't still on the trail side

as for spin rate depends what 'type' of irons were being used

what say folks would consider 'better player' smaller heads to blade type irons with more of an 'old money' cg placement and 'lofts' again more 'old money' style then with irons (assuming center strike) ball park figures would be 1000 rpm x iron#,
so 7i someways in the region of 6,500 to 7,500 aprox

but if more game improvement bigger style heads with lower cg placement for higher launch and lower lofts could get anything from 3,500 ish to 5,500 ish give or take some either ways depending on CHS, AoA etc and most importantly where on the face the strike is coming from
catch the ball higher up on the face so there's that kinda 'slap' contact noise then the spinrate will be a bunch lower

Thanks for all of that, I have been working on the feedback you have given me previously and I am definitely progressing.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks for all of that, I have been working on the feedback you have given me previously and I am definitely progressing.

good to hear you progressing

3d systems no doubt are now the next big 'breakthrough tech' in moving forwards to be able to quantify better what's happening in golf swing motions after launch monitor data

so now coaches have available the ability to combine 3d motion data, 3d ground force data, launch monitors and video
and the 3d stuff already shown some things that happen in a good swing motion model that in some respects is 'new' information - that plus super slow motion from 'phantom' cameras

plus the highly sophisticated 3d system in japan at the shaft makers fujikura - 'enso'

with trackman now kinda adding more '3d' capability with trackman 4 the first 'dual radar technology' system - rumor has it they are also developing capability to add a unit to identify strike on the front of the clubface - so wouldn't be surprised to see 3d images added to this along the line

already out here in the market are more professional systems from 'gears', 'swinguru', 'myswing', 'jacobs3d' plus the '3d motion platform of 'catalyst' & probably a bunch more

3d is for sure the new growth market - interesting times

- then you got all the smaller portable more limited systems aimed at golfers themselves like zepp and whole bunch of others