A job in golf

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
In 2015 I was between contracts so spent 3 months on the golf team at Celtic Manor. Stints in the Starter's Hut, Course Marshalling and standing outside clubhouse dishing out buggies, trolleys and clubs and generally trying to be welcoming! Good fun, most punters were decent, plenty of famous faces and the odd "rude dick-head" (usually from London!) Got to play the courses on the cheap and sometimes for free... Pay is really poor, (see my signature below!) so mainly students and retired folk do it....and the odd bloke skiving like me! But for some it was the best job they could get... quite an eye opener.

I was really saddened by how (some of) the Resort Management saw the staff as expendable due to the levels of unemployment in Newport. Thankfully, they were in the minority... the "hospitality industry" is a bit like that apparently.

But generally, great fun, great people on the team.... I'd do it again if between jobs.... as long as I could have more control over my shifts!!

Wolf

Visit site
When I was 19, I worked as assistant pro at my first club had a low enough handicap and aspirations to get in to teaching but life got in the way I became a parent for the 1st at that young age and couldn't afford to continue on an assistance pittance pay.

I now do a lot of work with some club golfers and a couple of pros with regard to strength and condioting as well as range of movement work. Would love to have done that PGA course years back and properly combined what I wanted to do then with what I do now

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I used to sand and seed the divots as a junior during the school holidays.

Does that count?

😅

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Worked as an assistant for a couple of years. Was never going to be good enough to make it (and parents couldn't afford to put me through the PGA course anyway). Was great fun though and loved walking (about 5 miles) up to the club each morning in the summer and opening the shop at 7.00 and then watching the world go by