A few questions on wedges and putters!!

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Evening all, i am getting a new wedge for my up coming birthday but not sure which to get i currently have a 64 degree wedge which untill yesterday had no success with but im liking it now. i do have a pw and a sw but dont really like using them every time i hit them i always have bad results, so usually take them out of the bag and just use the 9 iron to chip and what not. i realise that this is a masive gap, hence getting a new wedge but whihc one to go for??

I am also looking to get a new putter when i have the money, i have a bay hill mallet putter which i dont really like using but dug out the old putter from a previous set i had but that was from when i was like 13 so its a bit flimsy, i quite like the looks of the nike putters but are they worth the money??
I was recommended to get a ping or odyssey putter from a friend but im not too sure, so any recomendations would be helpful. at the moment i dont really have a budget as of yet as i dont have the money to get one so really just looking at the moment obviously dont want to spend loads.

cheers in advance

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
Right mate, wedges ey, I do not think you can go wrong with any of the Md Golf range. They are great quality and not expensive, don't bother with the top range wedges as they tend to be harder to hit. As for the putter Ebay is the place you can pick up virtually any model of Ping for not a lot, just make sure the seller has 100% feedback and you should be on to a winner. Hope this helps.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
cheers for the tip on direct golf just had a look some nice putters there.

Right mate, wedges ey, I do not think you can go wrong with any of the Md Golf range. They are great quality and not expensive, don't bother with the top range wedges as they tend to be harder to hit. As for the putter Ebay is the place you can pick up virtually any model of Ping for not a lot, just make sure the seller has 100% feedback and you should be on to a winner. Hope this helps.

cheers mate, i have seen a few in the local shops but not sure what sort of degree to go for as i realise i have a masive gap, so anyone got ideas on what would be best to go for??

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
My advice would be to have a lesson and learn how to hit the wedges you've got.
If you can't hit the wedge you have, there must be a flaw in your technique.
Buying another wedge isn't going to fix that flaw.
Oh and stick the 64 on ebay for £20 which will pay for the lesson.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My advice would be to have a lesson and learn how to hit the wedges you've got.
If you can't hit the wedge you have, there must be a flaw in your technique.
Buying another wedge isn't going to fix that flaw.
Oh and stick the 64 on ebay for £20 which will pay for the lesson.

i like the 64 wedge it works for me why would i stick it on ebay??

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
How many clubs do you have in your bag at the moment ?

i currently have drive, 3 and 5 wood, 2 and 3 hybrid, 4-9 iron, pw sw, 64 wedge, putter. but i cant hit my driver so never take it out as im working on it, dont take the 5 wood out either and only take out one of my hybrids. and dont take my pw or sw out with me either so a total of 10 clubs i usually take out with me on the course.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
It's just as well you dont take them out all at once, you've got 15 clubs there.
I would suggest you have the lesson on your wedges and ask your pro for his advice whether you shoukd keep the 64 or buy a gap wedge instead.
Do you know what loft your wedge and sand wedge have?

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
yeah i knew i had 15 clubs, and no i have no idea what loft the pw and sw are, i am looking to get a lesson or too but need to wait a few weeks till i can afford too, and i need to find a good pro in my area as well.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Your 64 is way too much loft and will cost you more shots than it will save. My advice is to get a gap wedge to fill the space between your PW and SW and then get some lessons. Depending on the loft of your SW you should be able to open it up enough to give you all the loft you need around the green. Learn the correct technique and then enjoy learning how to play all the different shots

griffgolf

Head Pro
Visit site
Find out what your PW loft is.
This is quite easy to do nowadays by googling your model of clubs and looking at the specs.

Then move up in 2 to 4 degrees of each wedge.

e.g. I play TM R9's and my PW is 46 degree so I have my other wedges at 48, 52, 56 degrees ( all CG15 and stop the ball amazingly quickly ).

I hit a high ball and I found that the 58 degree or more was a complete waste of time but again totally depends on the individual player.

Cheers

griffgolf