Can't ask a question properly

Band 4 nurse, 6+years experience .......£24,157
Hasn't got time to answer stupid questions

So, One NHS nurse £24,157
One journalists ......££250,000
One MP.................£251,015
One journalists + one MP = 21 nurses
I know what I'd rather have

*Don't worry, the MPs have quietly got another inflation busting 3.1% pay rise last month bringing their
salary up to just under £82,000 which, including expenses = 10-1/2 nurses

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
one might also ask about which party has been in government since 2010; and which parties MPs applauded and cheered in the Commons when a labour motion to pay nurses more was defeated?

And LK is IMO a national treasure...besides premiership footballers get paid £50k a week for kicking a ball...

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
In 2010, after the MPs expenses scandal erupted
Mps salary £64,766
MPs average expenses claim £109,745
Total cost per MP...£174,511

Last years figures
MPs salary £79,468*
MPs average expenses claim 171,547
Total cost per MP...£251,015
Approximately 45% increase
None can answer a question properly

Laura Kuenssberg Salary...£250,000 – £254,999

*Don't worry, the MPs have quietly got another inflation busting 3.1% pay rise last month bringing their

Hopefully you'll find common agreement on this ?...

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Is this a new occurrence though?

I mean how many nurses could you get per MP+exp in 2010 or 2000 or 1990 etc etc Hasn’t it always been like this. The value of a nurse hasn’t changed because of the virus, just the same as the value of a firefighter doesn’t go up when there’s forest fires or a police officer during riots etc

They’ve (all) always deserved more pay than they actually get

Wolf

Visit site
one might also ask about which party has been in government since 2010; and which parties MPs applauded and cheered in the Commons when a labour motion to pay nurses more was defeated?

And LK is IMO a national treasure...besides premiership footballers get paid £50k a week for kicking a ball...
Always find the mention of footballers a ridiculous comparison and a huge cop out. Whilst people may not like what they earn or think its obscene it is not in anyway comparable. Footballers are paid by clubs owned by private owners, businesses or groups and are paid out of what they make through revenue.

Nurses are hugely underpaid I agree with you on that but if your going to make it a comparison exercise do it like Bob has in the Op with things that come from tax payers money like the MPs, then compare it to Police, fire services, Army, Navy, Airforce, who all deserve to be paid better.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1740

The cheering and sheer delight shown by some of the MP’s that night was nothing short of disgusting. I don’t care what political party they represented, that was beyond the pale. Now the same charlatans are out applauding the same nurses they denied a pay rise for.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Always find the mention of footballers a ridiculous comparison and a huge cop out. Whilst people may not like what they earn or think its obscene it is not in anyway comparable. Footballers are paid by clubs owned by private owners, businesses or groups and are paid out of what they make through revenue.

Nurses are hugely underpaid I agree with you on that but if your going to make it a comparison exercise do it like Bob has in the Op with things that come from tax payers money like the MPs, then compare it to Police, fire services, Army, Navy, Airforce, who all deserve to be paid better.
And mentioned very deliberately as notwithstanding who pays - I consider the comparison to be as ridiculous as comparing nurses pay with that of Laura Kuenssberg (and by implication attacking the BBC) when making a point about nurses pay.

Wolf

Visit site
And mentioned very deliberately as notwithstanding who pays - I consider the comparison to be as ridiculous as comparing nurses pay with that of Laura Kuenssberg (and by implication attacking the BBC) when making a point about nurses pay.
That's fair enough SiLH if i misread your post my apologies. It is some that gets on my nerves though as we often see people have a go at footballers earning what they do when their salaries set by the company that employ them not the tax payer.

As for Kuenssberg, I think she's terrible but again I don't begrudge her what she earns as it's her employer that sets her salary.

All our services emergency and defence are hugely under paid for the hours and stress they work under and needs rectifying but that goes back decades not just with the recent government.

D

Deleted Member 1156

The problem with that is you cannot watch Sky Golf without the full Sky Sports package. We pay the full whack, but only watch the golf.
True but if you subscribe to a VPN service you can select a server in the USA then watch the Golf Channel for free. Not the full Sky experience but at least you get to see some golf for a couple of quid a month (y)

Solidthreeputt

Visit site
I’m not going to argue that footballers are fairly paid, but context is helpful. The footballer paid £50k per week will pay £22,500 in tax every week. What’s that used for? Among other things, nurses. This footballers weekly tax pays for almost a nurses salary.
A successful (if overinflated) industry like a massive sport, helps provide a social platform for this money which is sourced largely from private foreign wealth.
Again - not an advocate of the amounts, but the benefits to society are numerical.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
In 2010, after the MPs expenses scandal erupted
Mps salary £64,766
MPs average expenses claim £109,745
Total cost per MP...£174,511

Last years figures
MPs salary £79,468*
MPs average expenses claim 171,547
Total cost per MP...£251,015
Approximately 45% increase
None can answer a question properly

Laura Kuenssberg Salary...£250,000 – £254,999

A few points.

MPs expenses are largely for the cost of running their office. This includes 2 to 4 staff members, property rental, equipment etc.
As well as travel and accommodation cost in London.

Might be an unpopular opinion, but the vast majority of MPs put a shift in, are away from families for hundreds of days a year and subject themselves to a level of public scrutiny that I certainly wouldn't for that kind of money. Obviously there are those who are 'at it' but out of 650, it stands to reason that the minority of bad cases make the headlines.

Like it or not, but it is actually important to pay MPs a good salary otherwise the benches would be filled with independently wealthy people (even more than they are) if salaries were low and barriers to entry were higher than they are. I also think if you were to look back 20 or 30 years, you'd see a high number of MPs were retired Doctors, Barristers, business people. I personally think the level of public scrutiny and general ill will towards MPs likely discourages many in this position from going for elected office and adding their expertise to the law making process.

Ultimately MPs do have a big impact in terms of driving policy, taxation, public service provision and it would be better to encourage and attract well meaning people to this role, rather than assume that all 650 of them have their snouts in the trough.

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I’m not going to argue that footballers are fairly paid, but context is helpful. The footballer paid £50k per week will pay £22,500 in tax every week. What’s that used for? Among other things, nurses. This footballers weekly tax pays for almost a nurses salary.
A successful (if overinflated) industry like a massive sport, helps provide a social platform for this money which is sourced largely from private foreign wealth.
Again - not an advocate of the amounts, but the benefits to society are numerical.

I would think it naive to assume a footballer on £50k a week is not engaged in some form of tax avoidance, paid through a service company etc...

The comparison is also unfair in that the MPs expenses include running their office, so rent, electricity, staff (yes, may well be a spouse\relative - I know), etc.. so it's not like they take all that home.

Comparing pay job to job is not particularly helpful. What would be more valid is comparing nurses\firefighters\other similar roles to the cost of living and what kind of lifestyle they can lead from it.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Also - if you don't believe me on the office costs and think they are hoovering up this money for personal gain...
E-mail your MP about something and I'd be quietly confident you'll get a pretty quick reply.

Obviously it might not solve your problem or be more than a link to further guidance, but it will be a personalised response that someone has to produce or at least adapt standard content.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I am not actually arguing against what top footballers get paid. It is a fatuous comparison. As I consider comparing nurses pay with that of LK.

Bring LK into it seems just like an opportunity many take to have a dig at the BBC and it's correspondents for asking difficult questions of ministers, and yes - asking then repeatedly if they consider the question is not being fully answered, or if the answer is expected to, or should, change on an almost day-to-day basis. Besides. I have not noticed any great difference between what LK asks and what the others (BBC or other outlet) ask on each daily briefing - or indeed exactly the sort of questions that Farage, Nick Ferrari or Andrew Pearce (the latter two both being very supportive of the conservatives) are asking on LBC. You'd think that LK and the BBC are the only folks asking these questions. Fortunately it appears that the BBC has the highest level of trust (Survation survey) in the media.

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The problem with that is you cannot watch Sky Golf without the full Sky Sports package. We pay the full whack, but only watch the golf.
I thought you could, but its £18pm compared to £23pm for everything - so not great value.