2putt

Hacker
Visit site
i really need help holeing out from close range
and would really appreciate some advice if anyone has any....... thanks guys

Scottjd1

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I am by no means a great putter, but I use the following and funnily enough, when I do i putt better (!)

6 foot from hole, line up 2 shafts just a touch wider tehn your putter to create and putting line where you CANNOT miss.

you wil need to adjust to get dead right but then line up smooth back and through stroke, dont look at the hole, hear it drop and then another etc etc.

It will identify flaws if you are not keeping in line as the putter will hit the shaft.

Also keeping the head down stops you looking for the ball.

It builds confidence at the distance you use.

Do it for 5-10 mis before a round and see what happens, i hole a lot more!!

Try it, my record is 48 on the bounce without missing.

Oh, and get a V Easy too ;)

D

Deleted Member 1156

Simple tip....... make sure the putter head is travelling straight down your target line after contact with the ball.

Ian_S

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
According to the strokes gained putting baseline table, the pro's make three-quarters of putts from 5 ft, half of putts from 8 ft and two-fifths from 10 ft.

Are you missing them more than that? I think we all think we should make 5 footers every time, these numbers show that just not going to happen.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'm with hawkeye. 5 foot putts are not short. Even the pros are missing quite a few from here on much better greens than we play on

Pelz is an odd chap, but he's done the stats. 3foot and in is short, you have to make these. Everything else (chips, long putts etc) needs to get in this circle. So he suggests lots of practice (literally hundreds if necessary) on the 3 footers and then making sure you have good pace control on long putts and chips.

If you make 5 footers, then it's just a bonus.

** edit, whoops, just noticed Ian s agrees too !!

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
sorry for this, but I just looked at the stats page on the pgatour page.

It's fascinating if you like that sort of thing.....

For instance, who would have thought that sergio would be second on 3-5 foot putts. The very distance i thought he was most dodgy at. Donald and Poulter are just after him (which I would have guessed).

To go back to the 5 foot putts, about halfway down the field are only making 60% from 5 feet, so best not to worry if you miss the odd one...

Back to do a bit more spotting....