4 or 5 wood shaft fitted in 3 wood

Dave B

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
After rationalising my bag and swapping my trusty R11 4 wood for a 15.5 degree R11S fairway I have had a bit of a nightmare adjusting to the 3 wood.

In the past I've never really struggled with 3 wood but for some reason the R11s is giving e a few problems. The only item I can put this down to is either the weight of the head or the fact that the stock shaft is longer than what I'm used to.

My wife has a R9 5 wood, (lady's flex), that I bought a R11 regular blur shaft from ebay so that I could swap out the shafts and borrow it occasionally. It is almost an inch longer than the OEM R9 shaft and funnily enough, is exactly the same length as the shaft I had fitted in my R11 4 wood which I sold.

It is a inch shorter than the RIP Phenom shaft fitted in the R11S, if I put it in the R11S given that the shaft is an inch shorter and the same weight, (70g), will it be detrimental to the club.

I'm hoping that he shorter shaft will give me a better swing path, (one I am more accustomed to), and improved ball striking - has anybody else swapped to a shorter fairway shaft and if so what were your findings.