2018 Awards Thread

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So it's the end of another year. Time to celebrate those that have spectacularly succeeded or spectacularly failed in the last twelve months. So who are your heroes and villains of the last year?

I'll kick it off with........

Worst political party leader of 2018 - This award has to be shared by Theresa May and Jeremy Corbyn for both being equally useless.

Best Premier League Manager of 2018 - Another shared award going to Pep Guardiola and Jurgen Klopp.

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Worst striker of the year Mr Morata. Worst one on one of the year Mr Morata. Worst ball control Mr ............. guess who. Best potential Liverpool. Best regular winner Imurg over Fragger. Best never see left CaptainRon. Best old person chrisD. Best organiser joint award smiffy and LQ Best any person to have a beer with, anybody I have met on a forum meet

Last edited:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Best film, Bohemian Rhapsody

Best Golfer, Brooks Koepka

Best feelgood story, Saving of the people in the Thai cave

Best sporting moment, Ryder Cup (it is a golf forum after all)

Best course of the year, joint winners, Le Golf National and Carnoustie. Proving that courses don't have to be stupidly long to be a test and provide a feast of viewing.

Best new discovery, to me, Podcasts. Winner for 2018 That Peter Crouch Podcast

Best footballer to watch, David Silva. Always a joy.

Most pointless person still in the news, joint winners, The Kardashians, Beckhams and Cheryl Cole. Why, just why?

Worst politician, Dianne Abbott, by a mile

Worst manager, joint winners, Mark Hughes and Jose Mourinho

Traumatic moment of the year, TM dancing. Horrible, truly horrible :eek:

Last edited:

Wolf

Visit site
Best memory of the year: getting engaged in Dublin

Best Film: Infinity War or Christopher Robin (I loved both)

Best Golfer: Brooks Koepka (just ahead of Molinari)

Best sporting event: Ryder cup, was amazing being there and feeling the atmosphere and course was stunning

Best course: Le Golf National

Best Discovery: Audio books and Podcast, driving long journeys is so much more enjoyable now.

Best family moment: having all the kids together at Christmas

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Best film; Was there one? I have 2 films left on the list to see, Bohemian rhapsody & the new Mary Poppins.

Best Golfer; Justin Rose.

Best feelgood story; Thai cave rescue

Best sporting moment; Ryder Cup

Best course of the year; From personal experience, Aguilon. Carnoustie for the Open.

Best new discovery; caramel flavoured vodka.............. and this morning, the worst discovery

Best footballer to watch; still Messi.

Most pointless person still in the news; Trump. I do wish he would be impeached.

Worst politician; Can I pick 2? Boris Johnson, words fail me. Jeremy Corbyn, too polarising.

Worst manager; Jose Mourinho. Is there a way back for him after doing to Utd what he did at the end at Chelsea?

Traumatic moment of the year; when the Boeing 737 I was on went through a jet wash at 36,000 over northern Spain. Felt like the plane had hit a brick wall, and it slewed to the right. Lots of screams, and a check your shorts moment.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Best film, Bohemian Rhapsody

Best Golfer, Brooks Koepka

Best feelgood story, Saving of the people in the Thai cave

Best sporting moment, Ryder Cup (it is a golf forum after all)

Best course of the year, joint winners, Le Golf National and Carnoustie. Proving that courses don't have to be stupidly long to be a test and provide a feast of viewing.

Best new discovery, to me, Podcasts. Winner for 2018 That Peter Crouch Podcast

Best footballer to watch, David Silva. Always a joy.

Most pointless person still in the news, joint winners, The Kardashians, Beckhams and Cheryl Cole. Why, just why?

Worst politician, Dianne Abbott, by a mile

Worst manager, joint winners, Mark Hughes and Jose Mourinho

Traumatic moment of the year, TM dancing. Horrible, truly horrible :eek:
Agree with much of that!! 👍👍

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Best live concert : Mogwai

Best song : Donuts by Mogwai

Best Sporting event : Ryder Cup, fantastic to be there on the Friday and watch us win it on TV on the Sunday

Best golf course played - Bay Hill

Youtube channel of the year - Crossfield

Best podcast : Kermode and Mayo/Guardian Football Weekly

Best noise cancelling headphones to listen to said podcasts on - - Sony WH1000-XM3s

Worst politician : Honourable mentions to Raab and Dave Davis (literally, what have you been doing?) but winner is Corbyn. You have an open goal, still cant score and instead get embroiled in antisemitism rows.

Best politician : Honourable mention to David Lammy for a barnstorming speech on the treatment of the windrush generation, Tracey Crouch for sticking to her principals on the cancer to society that are fixed odds betting machines after she was treated appallingly by some in her own party who had been bought off by said betting industry. But the winner is TMay. Yes she made a lot of mistakes but that was before 2018, last year she had an impossible task. She has seen off all the opposition, most of it from sad men in her own party who walk the walk and that's about it and she's still here. Yes of course she will end up resigning after the 29th March if not sooner when her deal does not get through parliament, but at least she gave it a go. It's not easy trying to reconcile the fact that the the public made a silly decision and also rerunning the referendum will do damage to some peoples views of democracy can both be correct and are not mutually exclusive points of view.

Prediction for 2019 - Year of the angry gammon, more political turmoil, even more vast amounts of time and resources wasted on Brexit when other more pressing issues that will impact the UK's prosperity and society in general are mostly ignored etc. Spieth will win the Masters.