2017 - The year I join a Golf club...

94tegsi

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi All,

Looking to finally take the plunge and take up a golf club membership.

I am probably a mid teen handicapper and hope to get down to low double/high single figures with more regular play, which I think is achievable. Scoring pretty much depends on whether I have many penalty shots from the tee...

So, me and a friend are looking for a club and hoping for some suggestions!?

We are based in Northampton in the midlands. Don't mind a little trip to the club, but ideally pretty close to make the most of the course.

Any suggestions? Know of any that may have some real benefits to their members I might not be aware of?

Any guidance appreciated.

Thanks

D

Deleted member 15344

Around Northampton there are a number of pretty decent clubs

Wellingborough
Northampton GC ( Harlestone)
Northampton County
Brampton Heath
Collingtree

Out of those

Wellingborough - lovely setting and club house , enjoyed the course

Northampton GC - course isn't as good as Wellingborough or County but it's a pleasant course with a nice club house

County - best course in the area

Brampton Heath - drains superb -12 months golf

Collingtree - it's decent enough

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
For me Northants county is the best course but could never be a member there (far too stuffy for my tastes), its next door neighbour Brampton Heath worth considering albeit not a solely members club, has a lot of pay and play (drains excellently so can play 12 mths of the year pretty much). Northampton golf club is a nice track and more of a members club. Collingtree gets too much traffic of late and theres rumours of more building work and alterations. Further a field worth looking at Wellingborough and Whittlebury Park albeit likely to be dependent on which side of town you live

94tegsi

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Around Northampton there are a number of pretty decent clubs

Out of those

Wellingborough - lovely setting and club house , enjoyed the course

Northampton GC - course isn't as good as Wellingborough or County but it's a pleasant course with a nice club house

County - best course in the area

Brampton Heath - drains superb -12 months golf

Collingtree - it's decent enough

Thanks Phil. Over the years I have played most courses in the area, guess I'm looking to understand more about the benefits of being a member. What are the comps like? Social scene? Additional benefits/discounts?

Of those you mentioned:

W'Boro: Only played once years ago. Was a nice course.
Northampton GC: Again only played once. Expected more.
Northampton County: Played a couple of times years ago, was impressed. But think your application needs to be seconded by two members and I know no one there.
Brampton Heath: One of my regular tracks for pay and play, always decent enough.
Collingtree: Always struggled here due to my inconsistencies off the tee and all of the water/OB. But a good course.