1st practice session after my car crash

Darren24

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Well after not picking a club up for six weeks since my crash I felt the time was right to go have a session chipping and putting after all the advice I got off everyone. Back was a little bit tender but had nothing to strenuous in mind just took my PW, SW and putter.

Started off just chipping on with the SW from 20ft and PW from 40ft just bumping and running it. Hitting about 25 a time then changing club. Results were better but still not getting the connection right. I then remembered someone saying about looking infront of the ball. So I tried it. At the start it took some getting use too but 25 balls later I found I was getting a crisper connection. Picking all the balls up I started using this tactic. Looking about an inch infront of the ball. I dispatched all 25 balls using the SW to the flag 20ft away (10ft off the green and then 10ft to the flag. To my amazement all the balls were on the green and within 5-6ft of the flag. I was so overjoyed as this is what I wanted to achieve but didn't expected it happen so soon. I watched a few balls rolling upto the flag willing them in but would just tickle past, it was amazing. Same again with PW the result were so much better. I must thank the bloke who informed me about looking infront of the ball and if we ever meet up I will buy you a pint thanks.

Now onto my putting I was making sure I was only taking a short backswing to ensure I was accelerating threw the stroke. With the short puts 4-10ft I found I was getting better and passing the hole a foot or two which I can except as at least it had a chance for it to go in than it being short. On the longer puts I was struggling to get the pace right, ever too short or way pass. This is the area of my putting I real need to practice on. I felt I had more control over my putting and more confidence in the end.

I would just like to thank everyone for there help and info you gave me. Today has been a real confidence booster and I look forward to getting out and practicing again. I also spoke with my pro about the length of my putter, he agreed I should take an inch off to make it 33" and I have opted to have Winn 1.60 grip fitted because it just feels more natural for me. I intend to get out Saturday or Sunday for another practice, will keep you updated on how I get on. Thanks again.

D

Deleted member 15344

Great to see you picking up clubs again :thup:

Look forward to hearing about your first 18 holes in the future :thup:

Odvan

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Nice to read Darren.

Whilst I'm sure you don't need telling, don't let the keenness get in the way of your full recovery. Bet you're fustrated as it is if you've taken a hit but you'll be more annoyed if you push yourself too quickly and end up missing more of the season than you should have.

Great opportunity to hone in the putting. Here's hoping you get back to full fitness sooner rather than later.

Darren24

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks odvan. I am going to take my time like you say i don't to aggravate my back any more. That is why im going to take the time to just practice putting and chipping.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Glad the comeback is taking shape but don't rush it. What is it they say about "beware the injured golfer" so won't be playing you for cash when you are close to full fitness!!! Keep up the hard work and hope you're fully recovered soon

Darren24

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Well I went out for another practice session today and really enjoyed it witch is a fist as I normally left frustrated. As long as I follow my routine and make sure certain things are in place then the results were great.

Chipping with my sand wedge, 25ft to pin. Adopt my address to the ball, nice light grip, HANDS infront of the ball. Looking an inch infront of the ball and with a nice steady swing all was great. Really seeing some good results compared to the past. Same again with PW but looking at the front of the ball got me the best results. I also picked my putter up today and pro was amazed how balance it felt with the Winn 1.60 grip on ring cut down to 33". He commented how well if felt on the the putter as it is a centre shafted putter ( odyssey metal X 6 CS). Well it certainly is a joy to use now and even left 3 out 3 puts within 3ft from 40ft which is amazing for me as my long putting is atrocious. Well I certainly can't wait for the day I can get on the course and use my new skills and see the results. Just hope my driving and iron shots don't go to astray 😄.

i also forgot to mention I watched this putting drill and I think it helped out allot.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nELohiIv7ks

Last edited:

Darren24

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Well I went out for practice today and was very happy with the results of my practicing. After an hour of chipping then putting I thought I would hit a few balls into the nets. My back felt good so I decided to play 5 holes on my course. All I can say is my practicing is paying off. My tee shots apart from a gir on a par3 were poor and my iron shot were ok but my chipping I was on the green every time without no duffs and all within good distance from the pin. I even managed to hole out from 10ft twice😃 which is a rare thing for me and I left a 30ft put within a foot of the hole. I was well pleased with my chipping and putting so I will for one continue the practicing as it's working. Just need to get those tee shots sorted and improve on my irons which I'm sure will come back to me soon. Looking forward to the next time I get out now, hopefully Sunday.