14 Peaks - 'Nothing is impossible'

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Have I missed its mention on here?
This has got to be seen to be believed. It's a NetFlix follow-up of the 'Beyond Possible' book describing an achievement, arguably, as significant as those of First to South Pole, Ascent of Everest & First Solo, non-stop Circumnavigation of Globe.
An ex Gurka & SBS guy leads a small team of fellow countrymen on an expedition to climb all the world's 14 peaks over 8,000 meters. Previous record 7 years. They completed it in less than 7 months.
For many, the fact that they've been climbed before does little to lessen this staggering achievement.... sadly, little recognized in the Western world.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’m watching it this weekend. Been looking forward to it for a long time.

I don’t agree that it’s been unrecognised though, every mountaineering and climbing website and society I follow heralded Nimsdai’s achievements over the last few years. He was sponsored and supplied by US and UK equipment manufacturers and has been a brand ambassador for years.

Mountaineering just doesn’t hit the headlines these days unless it involves dying.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I don’t agree that it’s been unrecognised though, every mountaineering and climbing website and society I follow heralded Nimsdai’s achievements over the last few years. He was sponsored and supplied by US and UK equipment manufacturers and has been a brand ambassador for years.

Mountaineering just doesn’t hit the headlines these days unless it involves dying.
Oh yes. The mountaineering world knows of it as do his fellow guys in Poole... no question of that but it's a far more global achievement than that. You've a real treat in store as I've never seen better mountain footage from such demanding situations. Simply staggering.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site

Strange how times change, when I was at Comp school we did the Duke of Edinburgh award. Bronze level. It involved a 20 plus hike. All planned out by yourselves on an Os map.
For the practice we camped at the Eric Byne campsite in Derbyshire. It was a fantastic weekend. Walking across froggat edge and into Chatsworth. On the first night there we did absailing and pot holing along Froggat edge. Our instructors/ teachers raved about Chris Bonnington and how he was a role model.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Watched this the other night, found myself completely and utterly in awe of Nims.

I had absolutely no prior knowledge of him or his achievements and when the film started I hadn't appreciated his heritage and assumed he was just another rich guy leading an expedition with and enormous support crew who would find himself woefully out of his depth.

I couldn't have been more wrong - a different breed to 99.99.% of us.

A fantastic watch and I thoroughly recommend it.

D

Deleted member 16999

Just Wow, followed him on Instagram for a while, but the film just takes it to a whole new level.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was expecting a lot from this film, and it’s gone way beyond what I thought was possible to capture on film. It’s incredible.

I’ve read a lot about high altitude climbing, and pretty much every book I could find on the Himalayan 8000ers. Nothing has been captured in film like this before. It brings it all to life like nothing else I’ve seen.

Stunning. What a guy Nims is.