13 Spitfires or Golf?

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Do you watch,

Humberside Airport and 13 Spitfires take off today at 16:00. 3 sorties then went in different directions going as far as Teeside to Nottingham/Derby, then an hour later back to the Airport for a few flybys and landings then the last 2 gave a little display and numerous flybys with a victory roll. Only disappointment that all 13 didn't join together for one pass.

Or play golf?

i took 865 photos..........

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Do you watch,

Humberside Airport and 13 Spitfires take off today at 16:00. 3 sorties then went in different directions going as far as Teeside to Nottingham/Derby, then an hour later back to the Airport for a few flybys and landings then the last 2 gave a little display and numerous flybys with a victory roll. Only disappointment that all 13 didn't join together for one pass.

Or play golf?

What!?! I drove passed there 1/2 later.... missed the lot:(

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

It was a sight and sound to behold, 5 Spitfires all aligned in a V shape right over your head then peeling off one by one...... I'm sorry you missed it.

Quite a few folk were there too.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

You would have seen them when they were new, wouldn't you Bri.

Dont be greedy.:D

See the spitfires would have been my answer - you can play golf anytime, some things are a must see.

Me and the missus went to the recent battle of Agincourt 600 year anniversary, great day out seeing a 300 archer "arrow storm".

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
You would have seen them when they were new, wouldn't you Bri.

Dont be greedy.:D

See the spitfires would have been my answer - you can play golf anytime, some things are a must see.

Me and the missus went to the recent battle of Agincourt 600 year anniversary, great day out seeing a 300 archer "arrow storm".

Presume you've recovered from your wounds:ears:

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
On my way home from work I saw 4 Spitfire planes flying in formation. Stopped the car and watched. Was an awesome sight/sound as they flew over what used to be RAF Thornaby on Tees. Lovely to see them dip their wings in a salute to their former home and God's very own little acre.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
After just reading "First Light" by Geoffrey Wellum it would be spitfires for me. What that generation did for us must never be forgotten.

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
After just reading "First Light" by Geoffrey Wellum it would be spitfires for me. What that generation did for us must never be forgotten.

Great book. I also enjoyed the TV dramatisation which was shown recently.

Nice little piece about the Humberside flypast here.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-33910587

Tingle down the spine just watching the footage. Must have been great to see them.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Went to an open day at Hucknall Rolls Royce a few years ago. Anyway there were a few planes doing a fly by inc a spitfire. There were loads of folk dressed up in 2nd world war military gear and I was talking to one of them about the spitfire. I said it was the nicest sounding plane I had heard. He said wait til you hear this.
It was an American Lightning P45, same engine but with a supercharger I believe.
oh Lordy Lordy.
When the pilot pulled up from a dive the noise was sensational.

D

Deleted member 17920

Do you watch,

Or play golf?

Spitfires every day of the week, We had a couple buzzing round here in the morning before heading to Kirmington. The sound of freedom

Paul_Stewart

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I was talking at work with a German colleague about this sort of thing recently and asked him if the German air bases do anything similar. "No you shot down all our decent planes" he replied proving that some Germans do have a sense of humour.

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Go on then... put a few up?

Lol, not had time to download and view yet, been playing golf, but looking thru some it doesn't look good with blur which is annoying but the little effers are pretty quick and to focus on. But if there are I will post a couple.