£64 m!

richy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think Di Maria could do well for them - he's pacy and AFAIK had a bucketful of assists at Madrid. In fact didn't C. Ronaldo say that Di Maria was the one player they should be keeping?

I think a few of them need a good roughing up - really when I see them play only Johnny Evans seems to put his body on the line and gives 100% effort, maybe Jones too.

Anyway - let's hope that LVG can get the team out that he wants and then see how performances go. I think something along the lines of this will be his 11:
DeGea
Rafael 2 of Jones/Rojo/Evans Shaw
Fletcher Herrera Mata
Rooney Van Persie Di Maria

Looks Ok....

Except for fletcher

D

Deleted member 15344

I think Di Maria could do well for them - he's pacy and AFAIK had a bucketful of assists at Madrid. In fact didn't C. Ronaldo say that Di Maria was the one player they should be keeping?

I think a few of them need a good roughing up - really when I see them play only Johnny Evans seems to put his body on the line and gives 100% effort, maybe Jones too.

Anyway - let's hope that LVG can get the team out that he wants and then see how performances go. I think something along the lines of this will be his 11:
DeGea
Fletcher Herrera Mata

Looks Ok....

He will continue to play three at the back

So you will have Smalling and Jones at the back and no strength in the middle of the park

Any team with Smalling and Jones as the CB's are goign to struggle

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Not sure he will keep 3 at the back. Might work for the Dutch but it's clear that with the resources he has at the moment (unless he buys) then it isn't the best option. Will be an interesting test of his management credentials though to see if he'll stubbornly try and keep putting that particular squarepeg in a round hole or see they need a more solid back line and resilience in midfield.

DangerousDave86

Assistant Pro
Visit site

DeGea
Fletcher Herrera Mata

Looks Ok....

I'd go:

De Gea

Rojo/ Jones (or new CB) / Evans / Shaw

Carrick

Januzaj / Mata / Di Maria

Rooney

Van Persie

groundskeeperwilly

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
He will continue to play three at the back

So you will have Smalling and Jones at the back and no strength in the middle of the park

Any team with Smalling and Jones as the CB's are goign to struggle

Not sure he will stick with 3 at the back either. A lot of his club success came with 4 at the back. Smalling and Jones were being touted as the next England CB combo - maybe a highly respected coach with a reputation of improving young players could get them back on that track?

I see a few folk saying that UTD need more physicality in midfield too - I agree and I think someone should put the boot into Fellaini every day in training to get him wound up! Guys got the physical attributes, just needs to get up for it!

D

Deleted member 15344

Not sure he will stick with 3 at the back either. A lot of his club success came with 4 at the back. Smalling and Jones were being touted as the next England CB combo - maybe a highly respected coach with a reputation of improving young players could get them back on that track?

I see a few folk saying that UTD need more physicality in midfield too - I agree and I think someone should put the boot into Fellaini every day in training to get him wound up! Guys got the physical attributes, just needs to get up for it!

He has just bought a player to play in a back 3 - Rojo is either a LB or a left CB in a back 3.

Can see him certainly continuing with it.

standrew

Head Pro
Visit site

He says he prefers playing upfront, and fletcher was struggling to get anyone open up front, so i think he could work well infront of fletch. He is obviously needing a kick up the erse i agree.

groundskeeperwilly

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
He has just bought a player to play in a back 3 - Rojo is either a LB or a left CB in a back 3.

Can see him certainly continuing with it.

Yep thats true - I was surprised they bought him TBH. It sort of looks like they are just taking what they can get rather than going for a real top player....Maybe he will be a star but I would have thought others were higher on their wanted list.

I read that Rojo can also do a job as a DM - not sure he's got the skill but would certainly add a bit of aggression in there!

groundskeeperwilly

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
He says he prefers playing upfront, and fletcher was struggling to get anyone open up front, so i think he could work well infront of fletch. He is obviously needing a kick up the erse i agree.

He probably could do a decent job battling up front BUT I think that's part of the problem as Fellaini is battling with about 6 others for a couple of spots up top.

it might take another transfer window for the squad to be balanced out.

D

Deleted member 15344

Yep thats true - I was surprised they bought him TBH. It sort of looks like they are just taking what they can get rather than going for a real top player....Maybe he will be a star but I would have thought others were higher on their wanted list.

I read that Rojo can also do a job as a DM - not sure he's got the skill but would certainly add a bit of aggression in there!

Heard about Hummels all summer long and he would be a big signing for them

Then there is talk of De Jong but nothing coming

Those two would be better than getting De Maria

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
If the rumours are to be believed now that Di Maria is sorted Blind will be the next through the door, shouldn't be an overly complicated transfer and so no worries with the transfer deadline day looming.

Vidal is the man that LvG really wants and will give United what they have been missing in midfield. However, the concern is the right knee of Vidal given that he hasn't started a Serie A game since 30 March and didn't complete any of Chile's WC games. He was also asked to play (unfit) at the end of the season as Juve were chasing the title and still in the Europa League.

United don't want another Hargreaves situation so 1) aren't willing to meet Juve's transfer demands and 2) will offer the player a heavily incentivised contract based on appearances etc. The would also want to ensure that the transfer is subject to a pretty vigorous medical at Carrington before signing on the dotted line.

If that all goes pear shaped they'll turn to Milan’s de Jong as a bit of a stop gap, another transfer that should be uncomplicated should United need to go down that route.

Obviously most of the above is subject to a lot of conjecture however does seem to make sense.

Assuming the new/potential purchases of Shaw, Rojo, Herrera, Di Maria, Blind and one of Vidal/de Jong plus getting the injuries sorted and a settled team playing week in, week out then United will start to show improvement so not all doom and gloom.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
£60m is a huge amount to pay for one player, but, if that's the difference between qualifying for the Champions League or not, it'd be worth the outlay.
The game is littered with under-performing over priced players, Torres, Fellaini and Caroll being the obvious examples, and there is still the possibility of one or two more joining that list, (Ozil and Rodriguez (to RM) spring to mind).
It'll be a few months before we can judge as to whether £60m has been worth it or not.
Four times the cost of Balotelli in money terms .......................... in terms of value, we'll see!

Slime.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
£60m is a huge amount to pay for one player, but, if that's the difference between qualifying for the Champions League or not, it'd be worth the outlay.
The game is littered with under-performing over priced players, Torres, Fellaini and Caroll being the obvious examples, and there is still the possibility of one or two more joining that list, (Ozil and Rodriguez (to RM) spring to mind).
It'll be a few months before we can judge as to whether £60m has been worth it or not.
Four times the cost of Balotelli in money terms .......................... in terms of value, we'll see!

Slime.

Di Maria won't be the difference to them making top 4. They have much bigger problems than an attacking midfielder.