Dropping head in backswing

Newtonuti

Visit site
So I'm dropping my head in my backswing, then seem to be attempting to lift it back up in my downswing, and causing inconsistent strikes, either fat, thin, face wide open etc. Are there any drills that can help me keep my head level? I don't seem to move it to either side, just straight up or down.

Cheers in advance you lovely folks!

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Put an alignment stick in the ground just in front of you so the tip is just below your eyes - you will soon get sick of poking yourself in the eye and learn to keep your head up. :p

My lesson fee can be paid by cheque or bank transfer, you're welcome.

Newtonuti

Visit site
Put an alignment stick in the ground just in front of you so the tip is just below your eyes - you will soon get sick of poking yourself in the eye and learn to keep your head up. :p

My lesson fee can be paid by cheque or bank transfer, you're welcome.
I can offer one whole Volvik golf ball, with payment suspended for 74 years. However if you agree to a payment plan, I can send you half a golf ball per month for 3 years? :ROFLMAO:

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I do the exact opposite, raise the head on the backswing & lower it again, if I'm lucky, on the downswing. I had the idea of a colander fixed to a pole, attached to one of the driving range stanchions. Stick your head in that & swing, that will give you an idea of what it's like to keep the head still.

I've not tried it yet. Please let me know how you get on if you try it.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
How much do you drop. Almost all good players lower a little. Some more than others. Paul casey drops alot

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
A powerful golf swing will use the ground to create speed. This will mean extending in the backswing, dropping in the downswing then extending again as you go through impact into the follow through. You won't be lifting your head only, it will be your torso and legs and the fault will be doing it too early (early extension).

There will be a reason you are lifting early, your brain knows that you are going to hit the ground behind the ball and will be making you rescue this by standing up. Work on dropping down in the downswing and then pushing up from the ground and you strike the ball.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
So I'm dropping my head in my backswing, then seem to be attempting to lift it back up in my downswing, and causing inconsistent strikes, either fat, thin, face wide open etc. Are there any drills that can help me keep my head level? I don't seem to move it to either side, just straight up or down.

So the OP is dropping his head on the backswing causing inconsistent strikes, either fat, thin, face wide open etc and wants to know how to keep his head level and your advice is

Work on dropping down in the downswing and then pushing up from the ground and you strike the ball.

Unbelievable

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
So the OP is dropping his head on the backswing causing inconsistent strikes, either fat, thin, face wide open etc and wants to know how to keep his head level and your advice is

Unbelievable
It's not possible to drop your head without lowering your body as well.

If you look at top your players they all use ground forces to drop and extend during the swing, the important thing is not to extend too early.

If you read his post the problem is where he is lifting up in his downswing, this is good as long as he does it in the correct place and not too early.

Again, you have decided to extract a part of my post and put it out of context. Please can you stop doing that.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I did read the post, the OP asked for a drill to keep his head level.
He shouldn't be keeping it level, no good player keeps their head level.
He sounds like he's early extending and needs to go from flexion to extension at the right time.

Ian_George

Visit site
I did read the post, the OP asked for a drill to keep his head level.
So is there a drill?
Your post 'Try and keep the angle of your pelvis the same throughout the backswing ' seems more of a 'goal', unlike the one using the plastic chair to solve a slide that has obvious feedback.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
So is there a drill?
Your post 'Try and keep the angle of your pelvis the same throughout the backswing ' seems more of a 'goal', unlike the one using the plastic chair to solve a slide that has obvious feedback.

Not really, unless you've got someone to hold your hair like Jack Nicklaus learned.
My advice was to keep the angle in the pelvis constant which in turn would keep the head level and improve the consistency of strike which seems to be quite high in the list of priorities of the OP

Ian_George

Visit site
Not really, unless you've got someone to hold your hair like Jack Nicklaus learned.
My advice was to keep the angle in the pelvis constant which in turn would keep the head level and improve the consistency of strike which seems to be quite high in the list of priorities of the OP
Ta. I laughed when I first read Jack's solution many years ago. Won't 'leaning forward - relative to at address' also drop the head though? And bending the knees?