Zwift

Swango1980

Visit site
I'm a bit late to the party given how long we've been locked down, but finally decided I need to do more exercise without simply focusing on running and wrecking my knees. So, I bit the bullet and ordered a smart indoor exercise bike. Will take some time to get delivered apparently, but when it does I was thinking of getting Zwift. That may be the sort of thing that will keep me motivated, almost like playing the PlayStation but my controller are the pedals and I actually keep fit. Anybody on it and is it any good?

D

Deleted member 17920

There are a few on here who regularly use zwift.

I do and I know @Rooter does.

Personally I really like it and it keeps the boredom away from just an indoor trainer.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yup, I love it! Just completed the final stage of Tour De Zwift this morning!

I am now (while following FTP Builder program and social rides) working through completing all of the routes and trying to unlock all of the achievements. Sunday is a group ride on Muir and the Mountain with an aim to get the rocketman badge (hit 100kmh) on the descent of the radio tower.

www.zwifthub.com is a really neat website for tracking your progress, its manual which is a shame, but its a great idea!

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
I bought a smart trainer in the first lockdown. Been a blessing over the winter months when i wouldn't have ventured out on the roads. I really like Zwift. Makes it so much more interactive and i like doing group rides where people can chat to each other.

Only pain for me with my set up is that I switched to a turbo tyre and so now the weather is starting to show signs of improving, it is a pain to switch back to a road tyre. I should really buy a spare wheel, but then you need a rear set too, so I haven't bothered yet.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Only pain for me with my set up is that I switched to a turbo tyre and so now the weather is starting to show signs of improving, it is a pain to switch back to a road tyre. I should really buy a spare wheel, but then you need a rear set too, so I haven't bothered yet.

N+1. Winter bike will come indoors soon to be the turbo bike, and the race bike will go back outside!

Swango1980

Visit site
I didn't buy an actual bike and turbo trainer, as I know I will never cycle outdoors (I don't trust myself not to do something stupid and get run over). So, I went for the smart bike option rather than an ordinary exercise bike, as I know that would become something to hang my clothes up on within a month or so.

Once I get it, I need to work out what sort of screen to get. Was just going to get a tablet, so I could leave my TV to watch the football on or something whilst I exercise. The fan is a great idea, never really thought of that.

jmcp

Visit site
I flit in and out of Zwift but it can become quite addictive and I find I end up working a bit too hard and not hydrating enough, especially when doing sessions every day for a week or so, it is really hard to just have a light recovery type spin without getting caught up with sprints and hill climbs. I currently use a powertap hub with Bluetooth connection to my ipad and a wahoo hrm, it all works well.

Cheers, John

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
So, I went for the smart bike option rather than an ordinary exercise bike, as I know that would become something to hang my clothes up on within a month or so.

Which one?! we are considering one here as the wife wants to spin... Top of my list is the Wattbike Atom.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
That's the one I went for, the Wattbike Atom (Next Generation). Quite a long wait for delivery (10-12 weeks), but I've set the wheels in motion so to speak.
Awesome, I have seen people getting them quicker than expected too, not to get your hopes up, but seen 6-7 weeks recently..

Boomy

Visit site
It’s great fun and a good distraction away from the monotony of indoor training. Group rides are a blast and we use discord so we can chat along the way.
I bought the Mrs a treadmill late last year and she enjoys doing the runs on there as well. I prefer the bike but have done a handful of runs.
We had a few issues with Zwift not working properly on the iPad or phones when we first set it up but got Apple TV in the end and it works great on there.