Your 6 Iron swing speed & the shaft you play....

groundskeeperwilly

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Hi folks

Just curious really but wondered if those of you who have been fitted or on a trackman and know your 6 iron swing speed would mind sharing which shaft you use?

I have been having trouble with my current set up and after a couple of fittings have had wildly differing shaft recommendations!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
91mph on the Trackman at Pachesham. Always swung quick and was borderline R and S in most of the shaft options I tried. In the end the Ping standard R gave a tighter dispersion at the lost of 4 yards average on Dynamic Gold R.

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
91mph on the Trackman at Pachesham. Always swung quick and was borderline R and S in most of the shaft options I tried. In the end the Ping standard R gave a tighter dispersion at the lost of 4 yards average on Dynamic Gold R.

Christ that's faster than my driver!

To the op try the mizuno shaft thingy it's pretty good.

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
When I was fitted for my G20s back in January, my 6 or 7 (can't remember which) iron speed was 79mph. Regular CFS shaft.

the smiling assassin

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
92mph average
Whittled down to 2 best options - DG S300/ KBS Tour S
Opted for the latter as tighter dispersion and more height on the flight.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Hi folks

Just curious really but wondered if those of you who have been fitted or on a trackman and know your 6 iron swing speed would mind sharing which shaft you use?

I have been having trouble with my current set up and after a couple of fittings have had wildly differing shaft recommendations!

I got fitted earlier this year. The Mizuno swing DNA measured me at low 70's with 75 my quickest of the day.

Shafts recommended were:

ProjectX 5.0 flighted
True Temper dynalite R300
Nippon 950

What did I have fitted into my clubs....... True Tempur Dynamic Gold R300.

While the shafts recommendations took into account key factors like tempo, release factor, swing speed etc, the selections were no good for my swing.

I know from previous experience, and hitting the shafts during my fitting, that light weight shafts do not suit me. They have always given me a high ball flight and, even at my swing speed, too much spin. The ball literally goes up, but not forward.

With the R300 shaft I get a mid flight, but a flight that Is penetrating with less spin.

Moral of the story: Dont try and fit yourself a shaft based on swing speed only. Let the ball flight and distance you get make the decision for you.

Last edited:

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site

91mph 6 iron is borderline stiff/extra stiff. Your expected driver speed would be around 107mph.

Are you sure about those numbers?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Forget swing speeds and shafts/Flexes and just use the ones that feel (and go) best.

In your case it seems to be he J40 PCBs - which btw are quite different to my TourStages, but similar to some. I have a mate who plays them and loves them too (Rifle 5.5s)

@Homer. Are you sure that's your 6 iron speed? Pretty sure that's deep into Stiff range for a 6-iron Extrapolation of that would make your Driver Swing 105-110. You must be really crooked or inefficient from those numbers. How far do you hit the 6 iron? That should be getting something like 175+ carry from the numbers I remember (could be wrong though).

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Can't remember my 6 iron swing speed, it's in the early 90's. use kbs tour shafts stiff iirc from my fitting, they have no stickers on though! Driver was around 115 and x stiff.

Rarr Popeye me!

Hallsy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
82 mph with a 6 iron and have Ping CFS Stiff shafts on my G25s. Gave me better dispersion Medium/high flight

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have AWT stiffs in the I15s and Px 5.5s in the mp52s ... My 6 iron is around 86-89mph I think but I have a smooth transition. This allows me to play regulars in certain shafts. If that is of any help...

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
ave 86 with a 6 iron. Driver, currently, 102. Tends to depend on how the back is feeling. Sometimes I'm just punting it, others its Mr angry Hobbit.

groundskeeperwilly

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Thanks guys, really interesting to hear. Homer-did you try any of the stiff offerings and how did they compare?

Foxholer-just waiting for payday...