You get out what you put in, I hope

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If it is true that you get out what you put in, then my short game should start improving from now on. In the last two days alone I have hit hundreds of chips in the garden (probably over a thousand in the last week). Clearly it's not a perfect place to practice but when all you're doing is trying to get a consistent strike, it suits my needs.

I am now at the point where I am confident enough to start aiming for, and even hitting, different targets.

It still has to be taken to the course but at least I now feel like I know what I am doing, we'll see.

mcbroon

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I hope so too. I've been doing this for months (weather allowing) and I've spent a load of time at our practise green doing the same. I'm like Seve up there - can hit them high, bump them into a slope, whatever.

However, once I get on the course, it's still a struggle sometimes. As much as I practise and as good as I can be when there's no pressure, as soon as I have a card in my hand and I know I don't get another go, I still hit my fair share of bad ones.

Not trying to be negative, just saying that you shouldn't spect too much too soon. If your short game woes are long term, like mine, there'll be a lot of mental history to overcome.

Stick at it, though. I'm getting there and you will too.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I hope so too. I've been doing this for months (weather allowing) and I've spent a load of time at our practise green doing the same. I'm like Seve up there - can hit them high, bump them into a slope, whatever.

However, once I get on the course, it's still a struggle sometimes. As much as I practise and as good as I can be when there's no pressure, as soon as I have a card in my hand and I know I don't get another go, I still hit my fair share of bad ones.

Not trying to be negative, just saying that you shouldn't spect too much too soon. If your short game woes are long term, like mine, there'll be a lot of mental history to overcome.

Stick at it, though. I'm getting there and you will too.

Thanks, I'm certainly not expecting instant results on the course and still hope I miss greens where I can putt but at least now I have hope :D

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It will definitely pay off. Using these shots to enhance the enjoyment and creativity required on the course is what it's all about IMHO

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
If it is true that you get out what you put in, then my short game should start improving from now on. In the last two days alone I have hit hundreds of chips in the garden (probably over a thousand in the last week). Clearly it's not a perfect place to practice but when all you're doing is trying to get a consistent strike, it suits my needs.

I am now at the point where I am confident enough to start aiming for, and even hitting, different targets.

It still has to be taken to the course but at least I now feel like I know what I am doing, we'll see.

Knew you'd be working on it!!! Glad you'll getting there. I spent several hours on my pitching and chipping today and finally feel like I'm making my own progress and can't wait until I get out tomorrow (in the rain!!) and try it out for real. Keep going matey and I'm expecting 6 or lower (delusional or not)

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ive been swaying in mid swing , and hitting ball terribly , bn to range just concentrating on clean strikes , out yesterday and pured the ball to +3 ,41 pts and a .8 cut . time to put some more into the game if i want more out of it

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Ive been swaying in mid swing , and hitting ball terribly , bn to range just concentrating on clean strikes , out yesterday and pured the ball to +3 ,41 pts and a .8 cut . time to put some more into the game if i want more out of it

Nice work :thup:

I'm just back from the Wolmer Cup. My first opportunity to chip came on the 4th, a nice chip over a bunker off a downhill lie - treble bogey :mad:

I did make a successful chip on 6, it was 20 feet from the pin but it actually looked like a chip. It actually wasn't to bad until the 12th, when I took 4 to escape a bunker and took 8.

Despite all that, and the fact the greens were running at nearly 11, I'm hopeful CSS will go up 1 and I'll be in the buffer.

All in all, it was pretty encouraging and while not being great, I didn't thin or fat any chips which hasn't happened for a while

Bigfoot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I think that my chipping problems arise from tension so in order to replicate this , I practice in the lounge . The chance of breaking a television, ornaments or windows is much worse than thinning it through the green or into a bunker!!

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Nice work :thup:

I'm just back from the Wolmer Cup. My first opportunity to chip came on the 4th, a nice chip over a bunker off a downhill lie - treble bogey :mad:

I did make a successful chip on 6, it was 20 feet from the pin but it actually looked like a chip. It actually wasn't to bad until the 12th, when I took 4 to escape a bunker and took 8.

Despite all that, and the fact the greens were running at nearly 11, I'm hopeful CSS will go up 1 and I'll be in the buffer.

All in all, it was pretty encouraging and while not being great, I didn't thin or fat any chips which hasn't happened for a while

I think making sure ya see the club actually hitting the ball is the key mate , rest is committing & feel , ul only get that on the course ,, hope ya make the buffer , hate missing by 1

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think that my chipping problems arise from tension so in order to replicate this , I practice in the lounge . The chance of breaking a television, ornaments or windows is much worse than thinning it through the green or into a bunker!!

Haha, I was toying with the idea of chipping towards and over the greenhouse but haven't been that brave yet :D

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Hit the flag with a chip on the 8th but did duff one at six. Much better on the back nine so getting there. Pitching not so much so but it's so much in my head now. Hoping that if I can see myself chipping well I'll relax over the pitches and these will flow too. Another evening of working on both elements this week should reinforce the stuff I did yesterday

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Picture the scene. My ball is lying in the first cut a few yards short of the 15th at Blackmoor on a steep upslope about 15 yards from the hole. My partner is 15 or so feet short in two and we really need to make par. I pull out the putter, line it up, address the ball and then think, "what the he'll is the point of all that practice if you're still gonna putt through a few yards of rough?". So I pull out a wedge, take a deep breath an execute a perfect chip to about 2 feet :D BINGO!!!

The very next hole. I left it short again, and hit another chip to 3 feet and made another par.

Practice does it seems pay off!!!

mcbroon

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Picture the scene. My ball is lying in the first cut a few yards short of the 15th at Blackmoor on a steep upslope about 15 yards from the hole. My partner is 15 or so feet short in two and we really need to make par. I pull out the putter, line it up, address the ball and then think, "what the he'll is the point of all that practice if you're still gonna putt through a few yards of rough?". So I pull out a wedge, take a deep breath an execute a perfect chip to about 2 feet :D BINGO!!!

The very next hole. I left it short again, and hit another chip to 3 feet and made another par.

Practice does it seems pay off!!!

Good to hear. I hit a couple of chips off some bare, scratchy lies this afternoon that made me feel warm and fuzzy inside. Just as well, because it was freezing at our place today.

Nice when you see rewards from the hard work :thup:

thesheriff

Head Pro
Visit site
Hoping hard work will pay off for me too. Practicing almost every day and concentrating on my chipping technique after a bout of the yips and a round when I duffed no less than ten of them. Feeling much more confident now and hoping I can improve on Saturdays and bring that handicap down.

jamielaing

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
A lot of talk about chipping issues here. I have them too and recently got a lesson from my pro. He has given me a technique of using an 8 iron and playing it off the toe which stops it running out as much. You also lift the heel off the ground at address and hold it in a putter style stance, gripping down and getting over the ball. Makes it much more like a putt and stops tufty grass snagging the heel. It seems to work for me if you want to give it a try!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I303aXGfvW8

(can't listen to it as at my desk so don't know if this is fully the same as what I have been taught but will give you the idea, they don't seem to lift the heel up though)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
A lot of talk about chipping issues here. I have them too and recently got a lesson from my pro. He has given me a technique of using an 8 iron and playing it off the toe which stops it running out as much. You also lift the heel off the ground at address and hold it in a putter style stance, gripping down and getting over the ball. Makes it much more like a putt and stops tufty grass snagging the heel. It seems to work for me if you want to give it a try!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I303aXGfvW8

(can't listen to it as at my desk so don't know if this is fully the same as what I have been taught but will give you the idea, they don't seem to lift the heel up though)

probably fine on nice lush parkland fringe, i wouldn't fancy that off a bare links lie;)