You bunch of walkers!

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
We are off to the lakes next weekend so I thought I’d check my ViewRanger app to get some gpx routes to follow. It turns out the app is no longer ?
Anyone use a free alternative app where I can upload gpx files and get map guidance on my phone?
I’m using an IPhone btw.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
+1 for the Ordnance Survey site and App.

I’ve been a long time OS subscriber, I’m a bit of a map nerd, so access to the complete 1:25k maps offline is something I won’t ever give up anyway.

I tried Outdoor Active (who bought out Viewranger) but it’s horrible to use in comparison.

Komoot is pretty good but I mostly use it for cycling rather than walking. Although it is quite easy to use and there are plenty of user recommended and supplied routes.

By far the easiest to use is the OS app though. I get a GPX on my iPhone via somewhere like Walk Highlands and into the App for offline usage really easily.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Another vote for the OS App although can be heavy on battery and data - I'm sure there's a way around the latter but I didn't think to figure it out until my mobile provider suggested I buy an extra bundle!

RichA

Visit site
We are off to the lakes next weekend so I thought I’d check my ViewRanger app to get some gpx routes to follow. It turns out the app is no longer ?
Anyone use a free alternative app where I can upload gpx files and get map guidance on my phone?
I’m using an IPhone btw.
Although it gives the message saying it's changed, ViewRanger still works on my iPhone. I always preferred it's Open Cycle Map to the OS app.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Another vote for the OS App although can be heavy on battery and data - I'm sure there's a way around the latter but I didn't think to figure it out until my mobile provider suggested I buy an extra bundle!

You need the OS subscription but you can avoid data downloads with a bit of planning ahead when you’re on WiFi. In the App menu go to Offline Maps then Create a Custom Offline Map and choose the area to store on your phone.

Other apps do similar but I don’t trust them like I trust the OS. However I must admit I will still use Komoot offline downloads as a backup map. And have a paper map. And an emergency locator beacon. ?

I take no chances in the Cairngorms.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
You need the OS subscription but you can avoid data downloads with a bit of planning ahead when you’re on WiFi. In the App menu go to Offline Maps then Create a Custom Offline Map and choose the area to store on your phone.

Other apps do similar but I don’t trust them like I trust the OS. However I must admit I will still use Komoot offline downloads as a backup map. And have a paper map. And an emergency locator beacon. ?

I take no chances in the Cairngorms.

We do have the subscription but think it may be when I use the "start route" option and have to turn on GPS so at any point I open the app and can see where I am on the route?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Do they sell mince pies!!

Thought of you at lunchtime as I checked my stock. 11 M and S flaky pastry and 9 other types.
Very impressive ? ?.

I have two jars of M & S brandy mincemeat sat in the cupboard that I'm going to turn into proper pies in the next week or two. Make a batch, keep some out, freeze ths rest. I have enough to see me through until October when the retail offerings return to the supermarkets ?

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We do have the subscription but think it may be when I use the "start route" option and have to turn on GPS so at any point I open the app and can see where I am on the route?

Ah yeah that consumes a fair bit of power as it’s the general problem of constantly recording your GPS position preventing the phone sleeping. I don’t use the tracking, I just look at my position and manually navigate the route.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ah yeah that consumes a fair bit of power as it’s the general problem of constantly recording your GPS position preventing the phone sleeping. I don’t use the tracking, I just look at my position and manually navigate the route.

I'll do that from now on. Was pretty impressive as we were in large woods (always get lost in woods!) and at a crossroads of paths you literally turn slightly either way and the arrow is very responsive.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'll do that from now on. Was pretty impressive as we were in large woods (always get lost in woods!) and at a crossroads of paths you literally turn slightly either way and the arrow is very responsive.

It’s good but I should caution that when using it that way it takes a few seconds for GPS signal to be picked up to locate precisely. The arrow could be in the wrong place if you just click on, glance, click off.

GPS is great when it works. Potentially dangerous when it doesn’t. I did once cycle over 5 miles in the wrong direction due to a bug in the iPhone 6 GPS being 180 degrees wrong. ?

I should have paid closer attention to my surroundings but that’s the type of lesson or event that makes you question the reliability of phones as your only navigation device. Always have a backup.