Wrist Action

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hi folks, unfortunately I find myself requiring some more of your wisdom...

I was wondering if anyone has any good drills to encourage a good aggressive wrist action through the ball- specifically in relation to using a driver. I am currently struggling with keeping my hands 'square' (like they are at address) as my arms and body etc rotate round, meaning the club face is open and despite a reasonably good angle of attack / downward plane, I am cutting the ball a bit too much for my liking. I want to stop this issue of leaving my hands as they were- and instead begin turning them over so my ungloved hand becomes on top of the gloved hand(as such) after impact rather than the other way round.

I'm not sure if this description will make sense to anyone, but if it does and people have a drill / practice to help solve this problem it would be much appreciated.

Put perhaps more clearly, I'm looking for help getting into the position with the wrists Ernie has at around 22 seconds in this clip. Where you see his right hand rotate over the top of the left one, mine is staying rigid causing me to leave the face open.

Once again thanks in advance.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
If you generally hit draws with your driver (swing inside-to-out)you can try opening the face of the club a fraction at address which will encourage you to square it through impact (otherwise you KNOW it will go right) many pros don't have the clubface quite square at address, favouring the slightly open position. You might need to tweak your grip and/or ball position (to allow time to square the clubface). Such is the way with these things.. change one thing and you may need to change 5 :)

If you generally hit a fade (out-to-in) then I wouldn't even go there if I were you.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
and despite a reasonably good angle of attack / downward plane, I am cutting the ball a bit too much for my liking. I want to stop this issue of leaving my hands as they were- and instead begin turning them over so my ungloved hand becomes on top of the gloved hand(as such) after impact rather than the other way round.

Hi Eagle.
You have several things going wrong in your swing and it would be unwise to try and fix these via this forum.
I would strongly suggest you go and see a pro and tell him what you have just told us.
Hopefully, he will fix your swing path and plane and the hands will react accordingly. Good luck :)