Wow if I hadn't of three putt!

DaveyG

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I would have finished my last few rounds -10 -8 -7 my handicap...

I wonder where I am going wrong????

No seriously its amazing how much you have to put in to this game... After a lesson with the head pro at the belfry I have been striking my irons better than ever and have therefore been on the green or mostly around the green in 2... My chipping has came on leaps but still could be better as I am not getting it close enough... Im embarassed to say its been the all or nothing approach where as I used to leave so many to dustbin lid distance but never gave it a chance... Now I am either rattling them in (obviously not very often or lipping out/very natrowly missing them and running 6 ft past... The problem is I then miss the 6ft putt back but always by an inch or so for the easiest of tap ins... I. Truth i know I have put no effort in to my putting since coming back to the game after 8 months out so its obvious I need to... Isnt it mad though how an area of your game that was never a problem and you could average 2 putts a hole quite easily is now turning my 4's into 5's and 5's into 6s....

10 - 3 putts is amazing even for me...

Anyway lesson booked for the long game (not falling into that trap) following by a short game lesson a few days later.

Bloody love/hate this game!

OldMate

Head Pro
Visit site
Is that ten 3 putts across the three rounds? If so, then the 25 under handicap is still 15 under handicap across those three rounds which is some serious improvement.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Definitely worth getting the lag putts sorted will help but - as long as it's 10 3-putts across the 3 rounds - don't be too hard on yourself.

You may be getting the green in 2 more often, but you are probably a lot further away than previously for your first putt, so more often in '3-putt country'! I never feel really bad about 3-putting if that's the case! It was (still) probably the approach that was to blame.

Still great scoring!

DaveyG

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I wish I could say yes but it was actually 10 - 3 putts in one round I had 8 and 7 in another... I know I have really put the work into a pre shot routine and the mental side of the game but I know myself I haven't approach my putting in the same way.

Its been disappointing but I think I have been on such a high from hitting it well I haven't cared and its only when I look back I see how shocking my card was in comparrison to what it could have been.

The new putter will be delivered in the next couple of days and have just been fitted for new wedges so i am looking forward to working on this part of my game too.

Its weird because although its shocking I feel like I am moving forward and the putting is something I can fix with practise as I have always been half decent with the putter.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Constructive and structured short game and putting practice is often forgotten in the shadows of booming drivers down the range,

I went from a seasons worst of 41 putts to a seasons equal PB of 29 in back to back rounds, all that was different was 6 hours on the putting green in the week between the two games. This winter is all about the short game!