Would you like to go back to five minutes to look for your ball?

Would you like to go back to five minutes to look for your ball?

• Five minutes

Votes: 12 12.0%
  • Three minutes

Votes: 88 88.0%

• Total voters

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Are you a fan of the three-minute ball search (brought in 2019)?

If I could change one rule it would be to go back to five as think it’s a fairer rule and don’t think it speeds up play… don’t play enough comps to say for sure but would guess a lot of club golfers don’t time anyway?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Not really noticed a difference between finding a ball in three minutes or five. Usually if its not found by myself of any PP's looking as well in the first couple of minutes that extra minute (or minutes under the 5 minute rule) chances are it won't be found anyway and is perhaps in such a bad place to be not easily seen that it staying lost may be a blessing. As long as people are playing provisional balls at the first suggestion it won't be found then pace of play shouldn't be an issue

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Stick with three for the simple reason it's shorter. So you dont have to look so long. I suspect most found balls, are found in minutes 1-3 and not many extra found in mins 4 & 5. When everyone plays under the same rules, am intrigued why you think five mins is "fairer"?

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Stick with three for the simple reason it's shorter. So you dont have to look so long. I suspect most found balls, are found in minutes 1-3 and not many extra found in mins 4 & 5. When everyone plays under the same rules, am intrigued why you think five mins is "fairer"?

I get panicky about losing my ball (not financially) and think three minutes is too short. Less rough would be a good start but that’s another discussion

fenwayrich

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Three minutes is a long time, especially when it stretches out to five or more. I would keep it as it is. Mind you I lose about two balls a year so I'm usually searching for someone else's. Less thick rough would definitely be preferable.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I can see how it feels more restrictive at different courses. 3 minutes in the woods is not the same as 3 minutes in the rough, heather etc.

In terms of behaviour I definitely think it’s sped up play, it’s worked really well for our courses and I wouldn’t want to go back. It’s less about the search itself and more about how we behave after hitting into trouble. People now feel compelled to play a provisional more often because they think only having 3 minutes puts them in more jeopardy.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Three minutes is a long time, especially when it stretches out to five or more. I would keep it as it is. Mind you I lose about two balls a year so I'm usually searching for someone else's. Less thick rough would definitely be preferable.
Two balls a year?! Either your eyesight is amazing or you don't hit it further than the length of your driver.?

D

Deleted member 25575

Keep it as is.
I dont play in comps, so pretty much just throw one down after a couple of mins anyway

Boomy

Visit site
I get panicky about losing my ball (not financially) and think three minutes is too short. Less rough would be a good start but that’s another discussion

Less rough? ? Isn’t it supposed to be a challenge. We would end up like those American resort courses with 500 yard wide fairways (slightly exaggerated but you get my point)

I think 3 mins is enough and as Jim says it has improved general behaviour/awareness of time - certainly with the players I’ve had a game with. More time spent looking at GPS and laser devices now.

I also don’t think the pros should have ball spotters at the likes of the open - it’s not in the spirit of the challenge. Remove the ball spotters and they will have to play courses much differently.

Last edited:

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It’s only relevant if people actually police it. How many start a timer when looking for a ball? I normally call time but I’ve seen others continue to look well past three minutes to the point where someone else in the group calls it.

3 mins is more like 5, 5 mins is probably closer to 8-10 especially if there’s a card going and a gap between the following group

Tonto

Visit site
Three minutes is enough. Especially if your pp ( never me ?) is playing soldier golf. You could spend ages on just one hole.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm bored by the end of 3 minutes so that is enough for me. I think most people do the real searching in minutes 0-2 and after that it starts to get a bit half hearted as you are going over existing ground that you have searched already. 5 would just be dragging things out for the sake of it. Sorry Mark, I think it is has been a good rule change.

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'd reduce it further. I think the overwhelming majority of balls are found before 2 mins is up. 3 mins is a bit of hinterland between a "quick search and move on" and "a long search - call them through". So I vote reduce to 2 mins.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'd reduce it further. I think the overwhelming majority of balls are found before 2 mins is up. 3 mins is a bit of hinterland between a "quick search and move on" and "a long search - call them through". So I vote reduce to 2 mins.
I agree with the premise but think 1 minute is about right.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hasn't made a blind bit of difference. When it was 5 minutes, you tended to find it in the first couple of minutes or not at all anyway. People would either give up after 2 minutes or probably search for too long regardless and ignore the time. Nobody ever times it exactly anyway.

I think you're right about it not speeding up play though - those who used to take 8 minutes and not care are still doing that. :LOL: And as I said, a lot of people would give up after two anyway so they're still doing that as well.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Keep it as it is for me, reckon I used to give up before 5 minutes anyway. As others have said, you normally know roughly where it should be (if it’s your home course anyway) and so if it’s not there and a 3 minute search still doesn’t reveal it, chances are 5 minutes or 30 minutes won’t be any more fruitful.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Another thing to think about is who you play with and the format. All of my comps are drawn and nearly all medal stroke play except for a few fun days. The search times and effect on increasing the number of provisional balls in play has made a notable improvement.

If we're talking about the kinds of player that's stuck in the rut of Stableford amongst a group of regular partners the search times have much less meaning. Losing a ball and picking up on a hole is much less penal.