Would You Have Pulled Your Opponent

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
In a K/O match on Saturday playing a fairly new member, new to being a member of a club, and new to matchplay comps - and thoroughly nice guy. I was three down after 8 - and faced with giving my 15 h/cap opponent 4 shots over the remaining 10 holes.

On our par 4 9th my opponent got a shot. I was 3ft from the hole in 3. My opponent on in two putted up to 2ft with ball coming to rest in what would be my field of view for my putt. He walked up to his ball and said he'd get out of my way to give me a clear putt and - before I could stop him - holed his putt (I wasn't 100% concentrating on what he was doing as I expected him to mark his ball so wasn't really watching). My putt now irrelevant and hole lost if I let it go.

I considered whether I should pull him for it and ask him to put his ball back - it was only 2ft - but.... However given the circumstances and the fact that he would most likely have holed his two footer - I let it go.

I'll add - that though I was then 4 down at the turn I got back to all square playing the last. My opponent (no shot) holed a 15 footer for a 6 (the 2 footer on the 9th was the previously longest putt he had holed all the way round) - I took five to get down from 50 yds for a seven - lost the hole and the match. I don't think that I've ever been so annoyed with myself as I walked off the green - defeated.

I have not mentioned the 9th green matchplay rule breach as that might sound like sour grapes. And I don't think I will - even although I feel a bit of responsibility to him to warn him that he shouldn't have done what he did and another player might not have been as generous as I.

Thoughts on any of the above...:)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 21258

Life is really to short to worry about that. Move on, winning is not everything.

I would not have and would not wish to play the game like that.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Unlike the Lexi Thompson case which I've just stated was black and white, in this case I believe I'd have given a new player the benefit of the doubt but I definitely would have explained it after the event.

On my first ever handicapping round, I had a similar situation. I chipped up to about two inches and before anyone could say anything I announced I would get out of their way and tapped it in with my wedge, with the flag still in. They let it slide, explained what I had done (pure ignorance on my part) and I've never done it since.

lukeysafc100

Head Pro
Visit site
I wouldn't of pulled him up on that. Its an honest mistake to make. Plus it carries no penalty except that you can ask him to replace his ball and his last stroke is cancelled.

I would of made him aware of the infraction though - because some members can be proper "swear words" when it comes to minor infractions such as that one.

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would have told him after the round as a word of advice rather than pull him up. Seems a genuine mistake as a newbie and that he didn't think it through but it could cost him the next time he plays.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Life is really to short to worry about that. Move on, winning is not everything.

I would not have and would not wish to play the game like that.

I'm not worried about losing - I was just very annoyed with myself. Then - not now. But could have pulled my opponent on the 9th - and should I warn him in case he didn't realise what he did.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I would have told him after the round as a word of advice rather than pull him up. Seems a genuine mistake as a newbie and that he didn't think it through but it could cost him the next time he plays.

This is my feeling...and I know the members who would 'make him pay' - and it would embarrass him. I didn't mention it to him on Saturday as I was fuming with myself for throwing the match after a really good fight back - and it could well have sounded like sour grapes. Didn't help him holing the 15 footer on the last into the bargain :)

Ah golf - don't yah just love it.

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Still time if you see him again or have a member database email/text him? Just start with saying hope it doesn't sound like sour grapes :D

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I wouldn't have asked him to putt again and wouldn't mention it this late on as it would sound even more like sour grapes than telling him immediately after the game.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

This ^^^^

I agree that now is too late and would look bad. He will just have to find out himself in his own time.

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
I wouldn't have asked him to putt again and wouldn't mention it this late on as it would sound even more like sour grapes than telling him immediately after the game.

This for me.

Time to say something was when walking in. It would be preceded with my commonly used phrase of 'it doesn't bother me in the slightest otherwise I would have said something at the time, but others are sticklers for the rules...'

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
What would you have gained by bringing it up? The worst that could have happened is that he would have to putt again (and I guess from 2 ft it would not have changed the result in the slightest). You would have spoiled his mood and probably created a sour atmosphere that would have made the game more unpleasant for both of you. Even if that would have thrown him off balance a bit and then conseqently led to him losing ... is that really the kind of player you want to be? Or the way you want to win? He did nothing wrong. He even asked you if he could putt out. You didn't react ... which can well be seen as consent, because why on earth would you ever want to prevent him from putting out? ... and he finished up. Pulling him on that and making him retake his putt after you would have been really bad sportsmanship in my opinion (even though, of course, it would have been your right)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
What would you have gained by bringing it up? The worst that could have happened is that he would have to putt again (and I guess from 2 ft it would not have changed the result in the slightest). You would have spoiled his mood and probably created a sour atmosphere that would have made the game more unpleasant for both of you. Even if that would have thrown him off balance a bit and then conseqently led to him losing ... is that really the kind of player you want to be? Or the way you want to win? He did nothing wrong. He even asked you if he could putt out. You didn't react ... which can well be seen as consent, because why on earth would you ever want to prevent him from putting out? ... and he finished up. Pulling him on that and making him retake his putt after you would have been really bad sportsmanship in my opinion (even though, of course, it would have been your right)

yes he did do something wrong. its match play, in stroke play you can do this but not in MP. these sort of things can change the whole emphasis of a hole.

for instance you have a 10 footer, oppo is 3 feet away. you sink the 10 footer puts pressure then on the 3fter, which then gets missed more often that not

D

Deleted Member 1156

The time to say something was actually when the incident happened NOT after the game. What if he did again later in the round but on a much more missable putt? I would have mentioned it straight away but I wouldn't have asked him to replay the shot. He needs to be aware of the rules, especially if playing in competitions.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The time to say something was actually when the incident happened NOT after the game. What if he did again later in the round but on a much more missable putt? I would have mentioned it straight away but I wouldn't have asked him to replay the shot. He needs to be aware of the rules, especially if playing in competitions.

I would have told him of his rules infringement and asked him to re putt.......just as he was about to strike the ball I would have said 'OK conceded'.

With a big smile on my face. Everyone is then a winner.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

This.

I'd have let the putt stand then told him on the way to the next tee.

"It didn't bother me at all, but just so you know, matchplay is a little different to strokeplay regarding holing out on the green......."

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
yes he did do something wrong. its match play, in stroke play you can do this but not in MP. these sort of things can change the whole emphasis of a hole.

for instance you have a 10 footer, oppo is 3 feet away. you sink the 10 footer puts pressure then on the 3fter, which then gets missed more often that not

But if I understand the situation correctly, he did ask his opponent if he could putt out. The opponent did not react (which I too would have taken as consent), in which case it is absolutely normal to putt out, matchplay or not. Sorry, the fault here (if any) is with the original poster for not paying attention and stopping his opponent from putting in the first place if it bothered him. He didn't and, even though I understand he would have had the right to make his opponent putt again after taking his own shot, it would have been petty to do so. We are talking a 2 ft putt here, for god's sake. No reason to make a ceremony out of it, matchplay or not. Bang it in and move on.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
But if I understand the situation correctly, he did ask his opponent if he could putt out. The opponent did not react (which I too would have taken as consent), in which case it is absolutely normal to putt out, matchplay or not. Sorry, the fault here (if any) is with the original poster for not paying attention and stopping his opponent from putting in the first place if it bothered him. He didn't and, even though I understand he would have had the right to make his opponent putt again after taking his own shot, it would have been petty to do so. We are talking a 2 ft putt here, for god's sake. No reason to make a ceremony out of it, matchplay or not. Bang it in and move on.

but you can't just bang it in in matchplay. you mark it or its conceded.