Would you go to Riyadh?

Matty6

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Evening all,

Looking for some advice on travelling to Saudi.

I’ve been asked to go to Riyadh next year with work, and to be honest, I’m not sure if I want to after what’s been in the news recently. Colleagues have been a number of times and say it’s safe, but not sure I feel comfortable going.

What would you guys do?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Okay, it's not Riyadh but I worked with a bloke a few years ago who was offered big money to work in Iraq. He asked my opinion. "You can't spend money if you're dead" was my reply. "That's what I was thinking" came the reply.

You get one go at life. I wouldn't chance anywhere in the world where there was a risk and I didn't feel comfortable.

If people come on here and say Riyadh is fine and dandy then good luck. Not for me though. It looks like it is heating up out there.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Evening all,

Looking for some advice on travelling to Saudi.

I’ve been asked to go to Riyadh next year with work, and to be honest, I’m not sure if I want to after what’s been in the news recently. Colleagues have been a number of times and say it’s safe, but not sure I feel comfortable going.

What would you guys do?

Have worked not risked assessed the area you'd be expected to work and stay in especially in light of recent news events?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Depends on how long for. More than 2-3 weeks, no thanks. The rubbish from Yemen has been going on for a while, and that isn't the reason I'm not to keen. Its an oppressive, uncomfortable place to be.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Flew to Riyadh about 20 years ago when I spent a month working at Al Jubail petrochemical plant.
I enjoyed it, people were very friendly but you need to stick by the rules 100%.
Walked round the shops of Al Jubail at night and never felt worried, we were staying in a secure compound which was odd but you soon got used to it.

D

Deleted member 15344

Been out there a number of times - it’s the same as most Middle East Capitals - plenty of areas you are fine and safe to go , shops , places to eat but obviously areas not to go. Just have to respect their beliefs and obey their laws and it’s safe. Some of the compounds are really good - plenty of “drink” hidden away and in some hotels.

Dhahran is nicer and also has the bonus of Bahrain Close

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
I go a couple of times per year with work to Riyadh, Jeddah and Dammam, I've never not felt safe. We're obviously not allowed to drive and I always make sure I pre book hotel transfers from the airport.

As others have said, you just have to be respectful. I find Jeddah a little more 'Westernised' than Riyadh as it's a big port City. Lots more restaurants and shops that would not look out of place in a City centre here.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 18588

My son runs his employers Saudi operation.

He lives in Qatar; says it all really.

Matty6

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the all the info folks. It’s greatly appreciated!

We have a meeting beginning of Jan to discuss in more detail. In work Saudi is classed as a low-medium risk destination, but we’re going to review the situation ourselves.

D

Deleted member 18588

Thanks for the all the info folks. It’s greatly appreciated!

We have a meeting beginning of Jan to discuss in more detail. In work Saudi is classed as a low-medium risk destination, but we’re going to review the situation ourselves.

I don't think it's a question of risk.

More to do with the oppressive nature of life there and I am not referring to the fact that it is alcohol-free.

Matty6

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
We would have 3 hosts/colleagues with us all week, who are locals. They are great guys and have assured us it is ‘safe’. However, I do get the feeling that they are a little offended by us questioning if it’s safe to travel to their homeland!

I don’t know, it just doesn’t feel right.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
We would have 3 hosts/colleagues with us all week, who are locals. They are great guys and have assured us it is ‘safe’. However, I do get the feeling that they are a little offended by us questioning if it’s safe to travel to their homeland!

It's your life, this is only work. Don't do anything that makes you feel uncomfortable.

I spent a week in Johannesburg and a week in Sao Paulo in the space of 12 months a few years ago. I came back from the second visit and said never again. Anywhere where they tell you not to walk around at night, bars are on the windows of houses, people live in compounds, security guards with guns are at hotels and compound gates and frankly the warnings are continuous I just don't need it. No job is worth taking a risk for. If it doesn't feel right to you then don't go.

Wildrover

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I've been out to Saudi for work in the past for short stints. Personally I wouldn't go out there for more than a few weeks, not from a safety point of view as I never felt threatened in that way, more from a quality of life perspective. As somebody else stated earlier, the whole country is oppressive, it's like stepping back into the dark ages. I don't do religion and don't enjoy being in a country that is so oppressively dominated by it.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk

...sounds a bit like when I went to Aberdare for a Wayfarers Match!

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
It's your life, this is only work. Don't do anything that makes you feel uncomfortable.

I spent a week in Johannesburg and a week in Sao Paulo in the space of 12 months a few years ago. I came back from the second visit and said never again. Anywhere where they tell you not to walk around at night, bars are on the windows of houses, people live in compounds, security guards with guns are at hotels and compound gates and frankly the warnings are continuous I just don't need it. No job is worth taking a risk for. If it doesn't feel right to you then don't go.
I remember going to Sao Paulo on business and whilst travelling around with our local agent, at night, he was telling me all about the potential dangers of kidnapping, false security stops, etc. Not really what you want to here. Mind you his ambition was to live in Scotland.
Probably the place I felt most intimidated was Santo Domingo in the Dominican Republic. I've been to the Dom Rep on holiday but Santo Domingo is diametrically apposed to it and the whole place just made me feel distinctly uncomfortable.