The all things EV chat thread

RichA

Visit site
Has anyone looked at the cost of solar with storage to run their car? Arguably the best way to run an EV is harvest during the day and charge (Tesla power wall etc ) during the evening as a primary charge source. I have friends in PV but haven’t spoken to them in around 18months so I’m slightly out of touch on install costs and grants
My BiL had panels and storage fitted for their 2 Teslas. He doesn't like to talk about how much it cost. Says he did it to be self-sufficient rather than saving money.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My BiL had panels and storage fitted for their 2 Teslas. He doesn't like to talk about how much it cost. Says he did it to be self-sufficient rather than saving money.
which wouldn’t surprise me at the time of install but I bet he’s glad he did it now. 2 years ago I priced a PV / wind turbine / storage install for a customer and his break even was 5yrs based on 20p/kWh, he didn’t go for the install and is now paying 40p/kWh, he phoned me two night ago and asks me why I didn’t convince him to go ahead with the project - “ because your a tight git “ wasn’t well received.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Has anyone looked at the cost of solar with storage to run their car? Arguably the best way to run an EV is harvest during the day and charge (Tesla power wall etc ) during the evening as a primary charge source. I have friends in PV but haven’t spoken to them in around 18months so I’m slightly out of touch on install costs and grants

If going powerwall plus solar then 11p a kw via the Tesla plan

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Back of a fag packet calculation and probably not very accurate but my rough guess is that VED, fuel tax and VAT on fuel contribute £65/70 billion (say) to the exchequer every year. That's very approx £1,000 pa for everyone in the country. When this begins to reduce and disappear, where do you think the replacement money is going to come from?

Yep! You've got it. No matter what type of vehicle you have, you are going to have to pay!

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
It would need to be at least 300 motorway miles. I'm down south and I have family in Scotland plus I do long trips to play in competitions. I know lots of cars have quoted ranges of 250-300 miles but that plummets once you are out of town and driving at speed.
If i drive at 70mph my 300 range will do 270/280. I drove the 310 mile trip from Lichfield to gleneagles. Stopped off at Carlisle for a 25 minute breakfast whilst using a rapid charger. Arrived at gleneagles with 80 miles left and plugged straight into the free charger

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
There is a guy on YouTube (EV Puzzle) who does monthly solar break downs for his system. Quite informative and a bench mark to calculate on. Also does EV stuff.

Better people out there for entertainment, but if numbers are your thing it’s worth watching one or two of his videos.

Last edited:

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
And the install hardware cost, or is this via a lease plan.

i have seriously thought about having batteries installed to complement my solar panels. With the main aim of charging a future car battery. But as I see it there is a major problem.
The average electric car battery size according to Mr Google is 40 kw. But most I have seen are far bigger.
most Battery storage systems are less than 10 Kw.
By my reckoning there is a massive shortfall in what your storing at home and what your car battery would need for a recharge. Bottom line, what you generate during the day at home, max 25 Kw in summer if your lucky will fill a battery then send out to the grid.
All that said owt is better than nowt.
A pal who has had storage batteries at home has a stackable system of batteries. Basically you just buy another battery stick it on top of the system and plug in. He has told me that with hindsight he wishes he had bought bigger batteries.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
i have seriously thought about having batteries installed to complement my solar panels. With the main aim of charging a future car battery. But as I see it there is a major problem.
The average electric car battery size according to Mr Google is 40 kw. But most I have seen are far bigger.
most Battery storage systems are less than 10 Kw.
By my reckoning there is a massive shortfall in what your storing at home and what your car battery would need for a recharge. Bottom line, what you generate during the day at home, max 25 Kw in summer if your lucky will fill a battery then send out to the grid.
All that said owt is better than nowt.
A pal who has had storage batteries at home has a stackable system of batteries. Basically you just buy another battery stick it on top of the system and plug in. He has told me that with hindsight he wishes he had bought bigger batteries.

If you add powerwall to your solar you can get on the telsa energy plan

11p in and pay you 11p for the solar you make

Means the grid becomes a massive battery and summer pays for winter

House is darn sight cheaper to run at 11p aswell

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
If you add powerwall to your solar you can get on the telsa energy plan

11p in and pay you 11p for the solar you make

Means the grid becomes a massive battery and summer pays for winter

House is darn sight cheaper to run at 11p aswell
My problem is I am getting over 50p a kw generated now as they were fitted when the tariff was high. Making me close to £2K a year.