The all things EV chat thread

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
To be fair your iCE miles are about bang on for my current a4 tdi, can I ask what EV you have based the 3m per KW on?

Also I’m aware things like air on, heating, lights etc have a big effect on EV range.
On a good day you'll get 4 miles per kwh, but overall, including winter, it'll go down. But if you want to be picky I'll grant you 3.5 miles per kwh.
Then again, 10 miles per litre is only 45 mpg, and plenty of ICE cars do better than that.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Isn’t there a rule about shopping at Lidl to charge in Lidl? I suppose although a ball ache it’s not a lot different to stopping at the local cheapest station to fill up.

Re Clive’s response, this is kinda my point. On a motorway in efficient im sure I get close to 55mpg.

The other option is a p&p hybrid but based on my experience with the 330e, it was simply for tax purposes as it chewed the first 20 mile charge before it went into petrol race mode. I think I’d have to jump to a diesel plug in hybrid.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Isn’t there a rule about shopping at Lidl to charge in Lidl? I suppose although a ball ache it’s not a lot different to stopping at the local cheapest station to fill up.

Re Clive’s response, this is kinda my point. On a motorway in efficient im sure I get close to 55mpg.

The other option is a p&p hybrid but based on my experience with the 330e, it was simply for tax purposes as it chewed the first 20 mile charge before it went into petrol race mode. I think I’d have to jump to a diesel plug in hybrid.

There isn't a rule at my Lidl but our car park is a town car park aswell

Irony you see now is people slowly down to conserve fuel because of the costs but if they said drive at 60 for better range from an EV nobody would consider doing it

I drove motorway speeds today and averaged 4 miles per kw . 2 of us plus 2 sets of clubs

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Agreed but I just did a quick calculation. The EV above works out at 5.8p per mile based on night rates. My diesel car will do 600 miles on a tank on a motorway run and costs £100 to fill up so that's 16p a mile. As soon as there is an affordable EV with a decent range I will seriously consider changing.
I think most of us are in this camp to be fair. It is just a matter of when it happens.

I agree with your later post, reply to Bob. I do 200 odd mile journeys, round trip and each way, and I don't want the current stress of charging multiple times en route.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
There isn't a rule at my Lidl but our car park is a town car park aswell

Irony you see now is people slowly down to conserve fuel because of the costs but if they said drive at 60 for better range from an EV nobody would consider doing it

I drove motorway speeds today and averaged 4 miles per kw . 2 of us plus 2 sets of clubs

It’s almost like people can’t afford to race around in an ICE so EV was the move. I have a few pals with model 3’s and when I ask what they think the default response is “ it’s fast “

Thanks not the question. ??

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Blimey, what car do you drive that costs £100 to fill and only does 230 miles on it? That isn't a great comparison, it's hugely inefficient (or just drinks fuel for fun).

Clearly there is still a big saving to be made though.

500bhp Audi S4 Avant, mainly doing local miles so the least efficient way of driving it. It was a little better on motorway driving, could sometime get close to 290 miles on the really long journeys!! :LOL:

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Another cost in the ICE vs EV discussion which I don't think has been mentioned (apologies if it has) are the servicing costs. My service was anywhere between £300-600 a year (appreciate that it at the top end) and my wife's Mini One has just had the 3 yearly 'major service' and that cost £399. From what I gather then Hyundai is a fraction of that as they have little to actually tinker with.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
S4 or RS4?

I’d suffer that mileage on the RS with a huge smile.

It was an S4. Was looking at both when I bought however the garage I’d used previously recommended the S4 if I wanted to modify it as it was cheaper to do and the gains were larger. Was a lot of fun for the 5 years that I had it!!

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Another cost in the ICE vs EV discussion which I don't think has been mentioned (apologies if it has) are the servicing costs. My service was anywhere between £300-600 a year (appreciate that it at the top end) and my wife's Mini One has just had the 3 yearly 'major service' and that cost £399. From what I gather then Hyundai is a fraction of that as they have little to actually tinker with.

Depends on dealer vauxhall want £250 for nothing

Another vauxhall £150 lol

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Without getting political. This is the problem we have with our gov. With one hand they ban ice from 2030 and give us warning etc

With the other they hold back ev .. no grant? Shocking. Couple months ago the all car parks charger law became all new or refurb car parks

We should be doubling down on EVs and making a green economy boom n

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Without getting political. This is the problem we have with our gov. With one hand they ban ice from 2030 and give us warning etc

With the other they hold back ev .. no grant? Shocking. Couple months ago the all car parks charger law became all new or refurb car parks

We should be doubling down on EVs and making a green economy boom n

Impossible not to be political when discussing EVs, all the benefits of getting one are very much at the whim of the government. BIK tax, no road tax, no congestion charge. All very much in the hands of the ruling party.
Personally I have decided not to get one. Even though it would be virtually free I just don’t think it would work for me. (Pricing up a big estate for two weeks hire this summer was a bit of an eye opener!) I’ve extended the lease on my XC40 for another 12 months and will see if anything happens over the next year to change my mind.