The all things EV chat thread

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Chatting to one of my work colleagues yesterday. He tows a caravan and the tax saving on electric company cars is massive, so he looked at a Mercedes EQC. Range on it is 250 miles and he said it seemed to perform pretty much to that. He liked it because of way it drove, and the power.
BUT.... He was told that if towing, the range would drop by half. So he connected it to his caravan and tried it out and he reckons he will get 70 miles on a total charge towing his caravan. So absolutely still not suitable for towing.

I’m in the FB group for the Ioniq 5 and there are a few in there who tow caravans. Real world range is 280 miles, towing range is 120/130 give or take. Most seem to plan accordingly but you’re right, really does make any longer journeys an issue which is really the purpose of caravanning in almost cases.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
We looked at the hybrid 2008 for misses, and I’ve driven the hybrid 508. The 508 was lovely but underpowered in size (1.6) compared with 300e (2.0) when you factor in the weight, I think pugs have definitely come on miles, the 508 was lovely

You must mean the hybrid 3008 mate. They don't do the 2008 in Hybrid, only full electric.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’m in the FB group for the Ioniq 5 and there are a few in there who tow caravans. Real world range is 280 miles, towing range is 120/130 give or take. Most seem to plan accordingly but you’re right, really does make any longer journeys an issue which is really the purpose of caravanning in almost cases.

The other big issue at the minute is the design of the infrastructure. Almost all of the current EV charging points are single parking bays. What are you meant to do with your caravan while you use one? You have to pull up in a car park, unhook the caravan and secure it, drive round to the charging space, charge the car, drive back round to the car park, hook up to the caravan and then continue your journey. There needs to be charging bays where you can pull in with a caravan attached, charge up the car and then pull straight out to continue your journey. Towing ability and range is the main reason that I don't think that EV will be the ultimate answer to removing ICE vehicles from the road. I think that hydrogen fuel cell technology will ultimately be what consigns ICE vehicles to the history books.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
I registered my interest in the BMW i4 in June last year and today got an email from BMW saying that the ‘registration group’ that I am in can expect deliveries to start in July… of 2024!

Having had two extended test drives (48 hours each time) I definitely still want one but it will be old hat and probably face lifted before I even get a build slot.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
If a switch to EVs results in the extinction of caravans being towed on public roads, it can't come soon enough.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Without going through 2500 posts, from a personal owned perspective has anyone actually checked if a EV/HYBRID is more cost effective to run that a conventional Ice powered car?

With the rise in both fuel costs and electricity, aside from a BIK saving of its a company car im curious if the savings on running cost still swing in favour of EV?

The last calcs were diesel at 1.50p per litre with 50mpg, and domestic electric being around 25p p/kw. With the increase in diesel being 33% but the increase in domestic energy being closer to 50%, im just curious how the numbers are stacking up now on a personal ownership front.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Without going through 2500 posts, from a personal owned perspective has anyone actually checked if a EV/HYBRID is more cost effective to run that a conventional Ice powered car?

With the rise in both fuel costs and electricity, aside from a BIK saving of its a company car im curious if the savings on running cost still swing in favour of EV?

The last calcs were diesel at 1.50p per litre with 50mpg, and domestic electric being around 25p p/kw. With the increase in diesel being 33% but the increase in domestic energy being closer to 50%, im just curious how the numbers are stacking up now on a personal ownership front.

I can only comment from the point of view of having my present motor that does 230 miles to a tank and costs £100 to fill up. The incoming EV will do around 240 miles and if I charge at night will cost £14 assuming a 0-100% charge and even the daytime rate would be £24.

Servicing costs are the huge saving though, the EV running costs are a fraction of the ICE from the various FB posts I’ve seen.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site

VERY rough figures:
Fuel is £2 per litre, ICE car does about 10 miles per litre, so 20p per mile.
Electricity is 30p per kWh, EV does about 3 miles per kWh, so 10p per mile.

But from a personal ownership pov, up front purchase price is about £10k more, so payback comes after about 100,000 miles.

Once again, I must emphasize these are VERY rough figures.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

If you have a home charger yes. Octopus tarif only went up to 7.5p a kw

If you don't have a home charger and pay between 35-50p a kw it's still cost effective as petrol has risen so much

Quick fag maths

45 kw battery at 50p costs £22.50

At 4 miles per kw would be 180 miles for that £22.50

Car at a generous 50mpg to go 180 miles is 3.6 gallons which at £1.85 a litre is £30

Now that's to extremes cars will do lower mpg putting that costs up

And charging at home at night at 7.5p would cost £3.4 to go 180 miles

So really depends on set up

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I can only comment from the point of view of having my present motor that does 230 miles to a tank and costs £100 to fill up. The incoming EV will do around 240 miles and if I charge at night will cost £14 assuming a 0-100% charge and even the daytime rate would be £24.

Servicing costs are the huge saving though, the EV running costs are a fraction of the ICE from the various FB posts I’ve seen.
Blimey, what car do you drive that costs £100 to fill and only does 230 miles on it? That isn't a great comparison, it's hugely inefficient (or just drinks fuel for fun).

Clearly there is still a big saving to be made though.

D

Deleted member 23270

Blimey, what car do you drive that costs £100 to fill and only does 230 miles on it? That isn't a great comparison, it's hugely inefficient (or just drinks fuel for fun).

Clearly there is still a big saving to be made though.
Agreed but I just did a quick calculation. The EV above works out at 5.8p per mile based on night rates. My diesel car will do 600 miles on a tank on a motorway run and costs £100 to fill up so that's 16p a mile. As soon as there is an affordable EV with a decent range I will seriously consider changing.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
VERY rough figures:
Fuel is £2 per litre, ICE car does about 10 miles per litre, so 20p per mile.
Electricity is 30p per kWh, EV does about 3 miles per kWh, so 10p per mile.

But from a personal ownership pov, up front purchase price is about £10k more, so payback comes after about 100,000 miles.

Once again, I must emphasize these are VERY rough figures.

To be fair your iCE miles are about bang on for my current a4 tdi, can I ask what EV you have based the 3m per KW on?

Also I’m aware things like air on, heating, lights etc have a big effect on EV range.

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The fuel costs are currently skewed though, as the number of EV's increase and ICE reduce the revenue losses to government will be huge and a different form of taxation will need to be applied to recoup the missing £££ from the motorist.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
To be fair your iCE miles are about bang on for my current a4 tdi, can I ask what EV you have based the 3m per KW on?

Also I’m aware things like air on, heating, lights etc have a big effect on EV range.

For example I got 4.5 coming home yesterday with air con on

Heating is becoming less of an issue as they have heat pumps now which use such low energy

Lights use led now .. which are low effect

It's not the big affect that it was before

That's 4.5 with air con and lights on

D

Deleted member 23270

What would you consider a decent range?
It would need to be at least 300 motorway miles. I'm down south and I have family in Scotland plus I do long trips to play in competitions. I know lots of cars have quoted ranges of 250-300 miles but that plummets once you are out of town and driving at speed.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The fuel costs are currently skewed though, as the number of EV's increase and ICE reduce the revenue losses to government will be huge and a different form of taxation will need to be applied to recoup the missing £££ from the motorist.

Once enough people switch no doubt it will become the same amount costs as driving an ice.

It's like their banning of smoking for people born today and take the age forward and forward .. that's loss in tax will need to be made up