The all things EV chat thread

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
All well and good, but for us to use one of the 15 we'd have to drive more than our cars range is - except they have one in Folkestone (some 6 miles away) but it's in Eurotunnel which you can only access if going through to Europe ?

It's a start though and a fairly important step towards the entire network being opened up to non Tesla's. That said there do appear to be issues with some EV's being unable to use v3 Superchargers so even if they are opened up you may have to be careful as to which you're using.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
It's a start though and a fairly important step towards the entire network being opened up to non Tesla's. That said there do appear to be issues with some EV's being unable to use v3 Superchargers so even if they are opened up you may have to be careful as to which you're using.

We have never taken the car beyond its range, so anything beyond its range we take my car, or swap cars.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
We looked at the hybrid 2008 for misses, and I’ve driven the hybrid 508. The 508 was lovely but underpowered in size (1.6) compared with 300e (2.0) when you factor in the weight, I think pugs have definitely come on miles, the 508 was lovely

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
But at what cost? The price premium of the current electric vehicles over their ICE equivalent is an issue for some if not many. Given the way prices are currently going are these new vehicles going to be affordable?
who knows Rich. Price is a big issue - and i think many EVs bought in last 3 years or so could get hammered on second hand market if new advances appear quickly - although most are likely on lease so not as much issue for motorists - more the leasing companies. As i mentioned, I think the case fro a car in 2 to 5 years is getting a lot stronger for many if the tech and price falls happen

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
who knows Rich. Price is a big issue - and i think many EVs bought in last 3 years or so could get hammered on second hand market if new advances appear quickly - although most are likely on lease so not as much issue for motorists - more the leasing companies. As i mentioned, I think the case fro a car in 2 to 5 years is getting a lot stronger for many if the tech and price falls happen

I've got an EV coming in the next month or so and had the option of leasing or buying for cash. For me the decision was easy, leasing every time. I have no idea what'll happen (tech wise) over the next 4 years of my lease but didn't want to risk horrendous depreciation on it as I'm sure that batteries will be smaller but range will be far higher when I come to change motors.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Due to a quirk in the BMW booking system I have another 48 hour test drive with the i4 M50 next weekend. Already had my test drive but the system says it’s my turn and I ain’t arguing.

Really liked it last time but will be interesting comparing it now the mods to my car have been completed.

D

Deleted member 23270

I'm currently away playing in a competition. Texted a mate last night to see if he wanted to join a group of us for something to eat.

His reply 'Sorry can't join you, I'm stuck in my hotel charging the car'

???

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I'm currently away playing in a competition. Texted a mate last night to see if he wanted to join a group of us for something to eat.

His reply 'Sorry can't join you, I'm stuck in my hotel charging the car'

???

Or he could just unplug the car, drive to the restaurant, have the meal, drive back to the hotel and plug in again. It's similar to someone who hasn't got enough petrol left to get to the restaurant and back, except the EV owner will wake up in the morning with a full tank while the ICE driver will still have to limp to the nearest petrol station....unless of course the hotel has petrol pumps in the car park.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
It looks like the EU is following the UK by banning normal car sales from 2035 onwards. Can’t remember the UK date, but it is in the same ball park,

And, while I am not a van person or hippy, I came across advertising for the ID.buzz this week, now that seems like a practical ‘car’ for a family.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It looks like the EU is following the UK by banning normal car sales from 2035 onwards. Can’t remember the UK date, but it is in the same ball park,

And, while I am not a van person or hippy, I came across advertising for the ID.buzz this week, now that seems like a practical ‘car’ for a family.

2030 ice cars
2035 hybrid

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Feck the targets. Let market forces dictate the when things are not sold by as new tech will evolve rapidly. Get fracking. Get drilling in the North Sea. Secure our energy needs etc without relying on dodgy nations and cut the transport costs and provide local jobs. Time for a rethink - although the end game will likely be the same but not forced by an arbitrary Time-line thought up swampy and no big green levees.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Chatting to one of my work colleagues yesterday. He tows a caravan and the tax saving on electric company cars is massive, so he looked at a Mercedes EQC. Range on it is 250 miles and he said it seemed to perform pretty much to that. He liked it because of way it drove, and the power.
BUT.... He was told that if towing, the range would drop by half. So he connected it to his caravan and tried it out and he reckons he will get 70 miles on a total charge towing his caravan. So absolutely still not suitable for towing.