The all things EV chat thread

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Mining rare minerals, burning oil, it's all bad. I am not saying that electric cars are worse but the battery side is glossed over on the whole, the obsession is with tail pipe figures only. Building more batteries, necessary with a battery swap out system, is producing more of the worst element of an electric car.

I don't know how well batteries can be recycled, what is lost etc but it is an important thing to look at.

its already been looked at

you can get old leafs fitted with new leaf batteries from written off nissan leafs

old leaf batteries have been used as house battery storage

thats just small scale

tail emissions may be an obsession but air quality is noticeably different when you get stuck behind an old diesel compared to a modern adblue one and when you get stuck behind an EV even less..

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Do you think it's not being looked at?
Obviously but then lots of things get looked at but not all are resolved in a satisfactory manner. We have been kicking the issue of nuclear waste down the road from the very beginning in the hope that one day they will work out how to dispose of it safely. We don't want batteries to become the next version of this.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Can see this being good for people with no off road parking.
But for most people they would just charge at home or work.
The big issue would be all EV makers would need to be the same system so batteries were compatible with all cars.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
The big issue would be all EV makers would need to be the same system so batteries were compatible with all cars.

Which is why it won't work as all batteries are different shapes and sizes.
Can you imagine all ICE cars having the same sized engine and fitting?

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
An interesting article here on BBC News
How easy is it to drive across Wales in an electric car?

As an aside, when I drove to attend my Mother's funeral last month, I drove from Glasgow to Warrington (where the hotel charger wasn't working and wouldn't be fixed for a week or so due to lack of components), then afterwards we spent a couple of nights in Bowness, where again there were no chargers anywhere near. As I need 5 hours to charge my car, that was effectively 5 days of travelling with no access to overnight charging.
People may say the infrastructure is getting better, maybe I'm just unlucky, but there does seem to be a long way to go.

D

Deleted member 23270

VHS, betamax and Phillips2000 all over again ?

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/...c-class-ev-spearheads-brands-electric-rebirth

This highlights a few issues to me if the EQXX battery tech is 35% lighter and half the size along with a lighter and more efficient motor. This tech is 2 years or so away and then the next solid-state breakthrough is in the second half of the decade that Mercedes estimates can nearly double the range of today’s conventional lithium ion packs and the EVs equipped with these units can be lighter, more spacious and cheaper to produce
  • When the next couple of advances happen, particularly solid state batteries, it will start to be a game changer to many people - caveat being that the totally inadequate infrastructure catches up with where it needs to be
  • The impact is going to be felt very harshly on values of current EVs
  • Will it make people hold off until the much better cars come along in what looks like 2 stages of leaps and bounds?

D-S

Visit site
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/...c-class-ev-spearheads-brands-electric-rebirth

This highlights a few issues to me if the EQXX battery tech is 35% lighter and half the size along with a lighter and more efficient motor. This tech is 2 years or so away and then the next solid-state breakthrough is in the second half of the decade that Mercedes estimates can nearly double the range of today’s conventional lithium ion packs and the EVs equipped with these units can be lighter, more spacious and cheaper to produce
  • When the next couple of advances happen, particularly solid state batteries, it will start to be a game changer to many people - caveat being that the totally inadequate infrastructure catches up with where it needs to be
  • Will it make people hold off until the much better cars come along in what looks like 2 stages of leaps and bounds?
I’m due to change my car later this year and have been debating whether it is time to go EV but it is exactly this sort of prospect of a technology step change in the next 3 years or so that will probably prevent me jumping now. In reality what is the hassle of keeping with ICE for my next car if, when I come to change again, many of the current niggles will be a thing of the past.
Bit of a shame as I had always thought that by now it would have been a no brainer.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
This talk of inadequate infrastructure makes me laugh. Just drove from Lichfield to gleneagles and back with no issues what so ever. I didn't count on the free charging at gleneagles so I stopped off at asda Carlisle, plugged my car into a instavolt station for 40 minutes whilst I got some supplies, had a breakfast and repeated on the way back down. I completely get it if you have "on street parking". But for anyone else you are just being obstructive for the sake of change. I've done 22,000 miles of EV driving in my hyundai Kona with not a single issue. I've been to Cornwall, Norwich and gleneagles. No problems

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
See how history repeats itself???..........

"Today we fill up our cars with petrol from pumps at filling stations, but for the first 25 years of British motoring such things didn't exist. Instead, you could only buy petrol in two-gallon cans from chemists, hardware shops and hotels, as well as from garages. Then petrol filling stations began to appear".

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
See how history repeats itself???..........

"Today we fill up our cars with petrol from pumps at filling stations, but for the first 25 years of British motoring such things didn't exist. Instead, you could only buy petrol in two-gallon cans from chemists, hardware shops and hotels, as well as from garages. Then petrol filling stations began to appear".
Well yes, but for the first 25 years of British motoring, there weren't 20 million cars on the road. People walked/cycled to work, shopped locally, and used trains for long journeys.

I wasn't there, of course, but my guess is that petrol stations started to appear only once there was a sufficient level of demand that they made business sense. And the infrastructure could grow slowly along with the number of cars. The goal of getting everyone switched to EV poses a completely different challenge: that of rapidly replacing a huge, mature infrastructure with something else.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

But at what cost? The price premium of the current electric vehicles over their ICE equivalent is an issue for some if not many. Given the way prices are currently going are these new vehicles going to be affordable?

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
But at what cost? The price premium of the current electric vehicles over their ICE equivalent is an issue for some if not many. Given the way prices are currently going are these new vehicles going to be affordable?

Probably, we are in the advent. The EV mark up will pay for r&d on the technology, advancements and problems with manufacturers current crop until mass adopted.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site

My Brother in Law paid something like £900.00 to get one of the first VHS recorders.
Not that long later you could pick them up for just under £100.00
Early adopters pave the way for the masses.
;););)