The all things EV chat thread

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't see the point in comparing apples with oranges. The MX30 is a niche market car, aimed at those more enviromentally concerned. Read the specs on it's desgn, and you will see.
Why don't we start to compare a Rolls Royce with a Focus instead,

Is it tho? Seems more aimed at familys

And as such range is questionable

It's not "niche" it's poorly designed by Mazda who are a step behind the ev market

Same size as the MG which will go further .. it's just the badge.

The mini , fiat 500 are examples of the niche cars even the BMW i3 is niche

This is Mazda's first attempt but it's like they aimed it for 5 years ago.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 23270

I'd love that car, it was the one I wanted but the stock went fast

I did a long trip today, 130 mile round trip, 70 mph most of way, air con on

Left home 100%

Got there 65%

Got home 25%

So in theory that's 170 miles range at motorway speeds

Did my research and had a couple chargers on route as back up
Long trip ?????

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Turn that on it's head and a car with 100 mile range could be perfect for a family with 2 cars.
One like the Mazda for the school run, shops, work, home, longest trip of 20 miles, charge every night and a bigger car for longer trips.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Turn that on it's head and a car with 100 mile range could be perfect for a family with 2 cars.
One like the Mazda for the school run, shops, work, home, longest trip of 20 miles, charge every night and a bigger car for longer trips.

I agree that a second car with this sort of range would be perfect for families. I would just question whether they’d go for something of this size? We’d definitely consider a 100 odd mile EV as a second car however it’d be a run around so we’d never bother with this SUV size, it’d be a Fiat 500, Mini Electric ish type size.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I agree that a second car with this sort of range would be perfect for families. I would just question whether they’d go for something of this size? We’d definitely consider a 100 odd mile EV as a second car however it’d be a run around so we’d never bother with this SUV size, it’d be a Fiat 500, Mini Electric ish type size.

I'd go for the MG SUV personally

If it was just a run around then you have

Corsa
Fiat 500
Mini
Peugeot electric

Mazda seems to be a cross over of bad range for the size people want

It's like the mix and match the wrong way round

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Sounds a great option. As a second car that does less than 50 miles per day 99 percent of the time it could br perfect, and just because of this remit, it could be a 2 seater mini or 5 seater SUV. Both will have a place.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Back in 2012, there were only two realistic choices, the Renault Zoe and the Nissan Leaf. Both small cars due to the lack of power.
Today, there are more than 130 fully or part electric vehicles available to buy or lease in the UK.
There's not one for everyone yet but they're getting there.
I think the eGolf would be a good sized run around for the shops and school runs

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Sounds a great option. As a second car that does less than 50 miles per day 99 percent of the time it could br perfect, and just because of this remit, it could be a 2 seater mini or 5 seater SUV. Both will have a place.

We have a Nissan Leaf Tekna, it's about 7 years old and been ours for 5 years. Mrsd drives it most days and yesterday I drove it and will easily do 80 + miles. In winter that can drop a bit if the air con is on, heated seats etc but she rarely drives far and if she wants to go a distance I have a Nissan Pulsar Tekna petrol which is very similar to the Leaf so we can swap cars. Point is that it's great as a cheap runabout and one more bonus is that a local garage only charges for an MOT, and does the very few things that need servicing in the MOT price.

Last edited:

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Seems like a pretty good solution to the problem of waiting for the car to charge. How easy or difficult is it currently to swap out a battery? Is this something that can be made easier by design changes going forward to make batteries more accessible?

The drawback for this would be that for many people the £120 to £215 per month to lease the battery would be equal to their current fuel bill. Yes getting almost £8k off the cost of the car would be a bonus but would that be enough to bring it down into the price range of ICE cars?

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Seems like a pretty good solution to the problem of waiting for the car to charge. How easy or difficult is it currently to swap out a battery? Is this something that can be made easier by design changes going forward to make batteries more accessible?

The drawback for this would be that for many people the £120 to £215 per month to lease the battery would be equal to their current fuel bill. Yes getting almost £8k off the cost of the car would be a bonus but would that be enough to bring it down into the price range of ICE cars?

Everytime you fill up / get a new battery I suspect it's full say that £120-215 would replace your fuel costs

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I filled the tank in our Toyota Yaris hybrid on Sunday March 27th. There’s still a 1/3 of a tank left. Virtually all of our journeys are local, 15 mile round trips at less than 45mph. Most of every journey is 100% electric.

I get that people want 100% electric, not a hybrid, but why restrict yourself when there’s hybrids already out there that give the best of both worlds?

D

Deleted member 23270

People have been talking about this as the solution from day 1. It will be interesting to see if this takes off on a larger scale than niche and whether mfrs design their cars with this in mind.
The concept is great but the non green bit of EVs is the mining of minerals for the batteries and this would cause even more CO2 footprint as you have more batteries than cars.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The concept is great but the non green bit of EVs is the mining of minerals for the batteries and this would cause even more CO2 footprint as you have more batteries than cars.
I would not disagree with that. Battery exchange solves range anxiety and charging issues but blows the green aspect out. Ultimately nothing is totally green, it is a con to claim otherwise.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

enjoyed this video

I would not disagree with that. Battery exchange solves range anxiety and charging issues but blows the green aspect out. Ultimately nothing is totally green, it is a con to claim otherwise.

does it? or does it maximize what batteries can do, they obviously would monitor the life of the battery and what happens at the end? do they recycle them ..

they said people could keep cars longer this way as battery would always be newest tech

problem is people dont like to keep things, nothing wrong with that but if they want new that is already the green bit gone

also what needs to be taken into account is mining, batteries , making ev cars whilst still not 100% green is a lot more green than burning and mining oil

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
does it? or does it maximize what batteries can do, they obviously would monitor the life of the battery and what happens at the end? do they recycle them ..

they said people could keep cars longer this way as battery would always be newest tech

problem is people dont like to keep things, nothing wrong with that but if they want new that is already the green bit gone

also what needs to be taken into account is mining, batteries , making ev cars whilst still not 100% green is a lot more green than burning and mining oil
Mining rare minerals, burning oil, it's all bad. I am not saying that electric cars are worse but the battery side is glossed over on the whole, the obsession is with tail pipe figures only. Building more batteries, necessary with a battery swap out system, is producing more of the worst element of an electric car.

I don't know how well batteries can be recycled, what is lost etc but it is an important thing to look at.