The all things EV chat thread

D

Deleted member 15344

Just a thought. Has anyone's club yet installed charger(s) in their car park? Was a guest at a friend's club today and their manager was in the lounge while we were having a coffee. I posed the question and was amazed at the defensive answer and waffle he spouted ranging from "well, some members are here for 7 or 8 hours" to "we haven't really got enough car parking space for charging points". WTF???

I know some of the big clubs have started to put them in

We have had a member request for a couple but we have parking issues due to the size of our carpark and we need to use an overflow which isn’t ideal so we turned down the request at the moment - but it’s something we will need to look at in the future and potential have a separate area for leccy cars near the overflow where the leccy buggies are

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I know some of the big clubs have started to put them in

We have had a member request for a couple but we have parking issues due to the size of our carpark and we need to use an overflow which isn’t ideal so we turned down the request at the moment - but it’s something we will need to look at in the future and potential have a separate area for leccy cars near the overflow where the leccy buggies are
What is the cost of installation? It's asking a lot of clubs / members to install these unless it is very cheap, I don't expect it is. There are more relevant things to spend money on that benefit all.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Rising energy costs threaten to sabotage Boris Johnson’s plans for an electric vehicle revolution, car industry chiefs have warned.

Manufacturing electric cars requires large amounts of energy, while higher bills could also deter drivers from switching from petrol-powered models.

Mike Hawes, the chief executive of the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders, said that of all the challenges facing the industry, “the most disturbing one at the moment is obviously rapidly rising energy costs”.

“Already before this price volatility in the UK, we had among the highest energy costs in Europe, and that fundamentally undermines our competitiveness, so times are tough,” he added.

The UK makes seven combustion engine cars for every 10 bought in the country, while for electric cars that number slips to four, said former Aston Martin boss Andy Palmer, who now leads electric bus company Switch. "Put simply, we're exporting our jobs," he warned.

The Government has been trying to encourage car makers to produce more electric vehicles in the UK, particularly in so-called Red Wall constituencies in the North of England that voted Conservative at the last election.

Germany, China and the US are pushing ahead with dozens of "gigafactories" to produce state of the art batteries to power modern electric cars.

Proponents of plans to build gigafactories in Britain argue that batteries are too heavy to be economically viable to import from abroad.

The UK was the third-biggest car producer in the world in the 1950s but has slipped to 17th place today.

Raw material costs and chronic shortages of parts are also dogging car makers, and leading to more expensive prices on the forecourts.

Separately, BP is set to spend £1bn on charging points in the UK, the Financial Times reported. BP did not respond to a request for comment.

BP has said it plans to have 16,000 fast charging points in the UK by the end of this decade, up from 8,000 today.

Last year the UK has about 16 electric vehicles for every public standard charger, but that ratio was likely to worsen to about 32 EVs per charger this year, with significant regional variations, the SMMT said.

Mr Hawes warned: "Things are getting worse because of that pace of market transition for EVs sales. We need the infrastructure to catch up."

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
https://news.sky.com/story/electric...ber-of-public-charge-points-unveiled-12574519Electric cars: Positive news for EV owners as plan to boost number of public charge points unveiledView attachment 41951

Whilst good news it's a shame its taken Russia behaving appallingly to want to change the norm rather than using the rebuild the economy after covid to focus on green stuff (start a green Revolution) creating jobs etc at the same time as helping working to net zero and becoming self sufficient.

Positive step in the correct direction in the end

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Whilst good news it's a shame its taken Russia behaving appallingly to want to change the norm rather than using the rebuild the economy after covid to focus on green stuff (start a green Revolution) creating jobs etc at the same time as helping working to net zero and becoming self sufficient.

Positive step in the correct direction in the end

And at the same time....
UK cuts grants for electric vehicles for second time in a year

Subsidy available will fall from £2,500 to £1,500 – half the sum available to buyers at the start of 2021

FOnDzwUXEAUc49X.png

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
And at the same time....
UK cuts grants for electric vehicles for second time in a year

Subsidy available will fall from £2,500 to £1,500 – half the sum available to buyers at the start of 2021

View attachment 41955

problem I have with the "grants" is companies just inflate the price to get the grant, like the home charger grant is going.. id bet they end up about the same cost in about a year.. once companies have stopped taking the gov freebie...

When the gov first announced to stop the grant for cars over whatever price it was... the manufacturers lowered their price by £1000 to get the grant..

so it can be done.. if it forces the manufacturers to lower costs to get fails its not a such a bad thing

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
But if you were thinking about solar panels for charging your EV.....

''VAT will be scrapped for energy efficiency measures such as solar panels, heat pumps and insulation to tackle high energy bills, it has been announced.

Chancellor Rishi Sunak said that homeowners having materials such as solar panels, electric heat pumps and insulation installed in the next five years would pay no VAT

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
But if you were thinking about solar panels for charging your EV.....

''VAT will be scrapped for energy efficiency measures such as solar panels, heat pumps and insulation to tackle high energy bills, it has been announced.

Chancellor Rishi Sunak said that homeowners having materials such as solar panels, electric heat pumps and insulation installed in the next five years would pay no VAT

My solar is on order, not sure if the battery side of the order will get the VAT reduction but could save £800. I mean its better in my pocket than theirs

hopefully will help people make their houses more efficient

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Was looking at the review of the new hybrid civic and this came on after so gave it a look, seems to be a fairly balanced review, although says nothing that's ot been said on the thread but nice to get the independent review.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Naughty.
For a start his Leaf is one of the oldest you can buy so the range is going to be low on a 24kw battery.
Secondly, the cost for the MOT he quoted is the highest a garage can legally charge. £54.85. It's around £35-40 where I live.

Thirdly, and very naughty, I checked the MOT. Notice when he showed the MOT certificate (which as far as I know you don't get any more), he covered up and hid the car details.
Here is the real MOT results for that car for its last MOT...

VN62RYK
NISSAN LEAF

MOT history
Check mileage recorded at test, MOT expiry date, defects and advisories, and view test certificate

Date tested6 January 2022
PASS

View test certificate

Mileage72,308 miles
MOT test number7179 0029 9695
Test location

View test location

Expiry date 5 January 2023
Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):
  • Offside Front Suspension arm ball joint has slight play (5.3.4 (a) (i))
  • Nearside Rear Brake pad(s) wearing thin (1.1.13 (a) (ii))

The man is telling porkies to make the car look bad.:confused:

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/?_ga=2.109268869.1861699221.1648305289-2131551870.1642580319

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Naughty.
For a start his Leaf is one of the oldest you can buy so the range is going to be low on a 24kw battery.
Secondly, the cost for the MOT he quoted is the highest a garage can legally charge. £54.85. It's around £35-40 where I live.

Thirdly, and very naughty, I checked the MOT. Notice when he showed the MOT certificate (which as far as I know you don't get any more), he covered up and hid the car details.
Here is the real MOT results for that car for its last MOT...

VN62RYK
NISSAN LEAF

MOT history
Check mileage recorded at test, MOT expiry date, defects and advisories, and view test certificate

Date tested6 January 2022
PASS

View test certificate

Mileage72,308 miles
MOT test number7179 0029 9695
Test location

View test location

Expiry date 5 January 2023
Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):
  • Offside Front Suspension arm ball joint has slight play (5.3.4 (a) (i))
  • Nearside Rear Brake pad(s) wearing thin (1.1.13 (a) (ii))

The man is telling porkies to make the car look bad.:confused:

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/?_ga=2.109268869.1861699221.1648305289-2131551870.1642580319

Bob I admire your commitment to the cause but Rory is a fantastic broadcaster and is a real fan of EVs

I have dealt with Glenn Hopkins myself many times their a nationwide dealer, you still get a mot certificate (don't need one it's all online) and what he showed was their "vehicle health checks" they do whenever a car is serviced , mot or just brought in for warranty work. It's colour coded red yellow and green

They can give extra advise on top of what would appear on a mot