The all things EV chat thread

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Are electric cars hailed as the saviour of the planet alone?

Its a combined effort

The worst offender is a gas boiler but they are just too efficient ATM and the alternative needs massively improving as they only really suit new builds

Plus it's the daily mail

Plus, it's Bjorn Lomborg

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
There are a couple of people here where I would say a plug in hybrid would be their best choice? Are these hybrids still ‘future proof’ or are they outdated by the acceleration of EVs already?
It seems like Hybrids are done and people are better off with an electric or efficient ICE if EV isn't right.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
It seems like Hybrids are done and people are better off with an electric or efficient ICE if EV isn't right.

most hybrids have very small pure electric range. 20-30 miles, they rely on petrol and therefore cannot be a long term solution.

They are very good at extending the vehicle range compared to petrol alone, but it really is just paying lip service to the main problem

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
most hybrids have very small pure electric range. 20-30 miles, they rely on petrol and therefore cannot be a long term solution.

They are very good at extending the vehicle range compared to petrol alone, but it really is just paying lip service to the main problem
I thought before that for people like me who drive 4 miles each way to the shop, or people that drive 15 miles each way to work, but then want the long range for the occasional trip they sound ideal. But it might not be. And by teh time I am swapping the car electric will be the only choice, I think.

The one journey where I would really have range excitement would be driving to the airport, parking there for a week, then driving back. Both not journeys you want to stop charging.
But I think that's well within range of any EV at this point.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Come on, Bob is not as decrepit as that.
Ha ha. A few years ago a mate of mine down in London had a lotus Elise. After staying with him he gave me a lift to a tube station. I tried, unsuccessfully to get out normally. After 2 failed attempts I decided to take a different approach and effectively crawled out on my hands and knees. Not the most dignified approach, thankfully it was a dry day and the pavement wasn't wet. I look at cars like the one in the post and wince now ?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Ha ha. A few years ago a mate of mine down in London had a lotus Elise. After staying with him he gave me a lift to a tube station. I tried, unsuccessfully to get out normally. After 2 failed attempts I decided to take a different approach and effectively crawled out on my hands and knees. Not the most dignified approach, thankfully it was a dry day and the pavement wasn't wet. I look at cars like the one in the post and wince now ?
My Bro's Mk 1 Spit was veryy much the same - and that was when I was young and flexible! Suspension was not designed for the couple of roads literally carved out of rock traversing the Southern Alps either!

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
But you take away one of the best things about the Ferrari - the engine.

What’s the point in having a sports car that’s mute

Like going to see a concert and they turn the microphones off

I've never been in a Ferrari, electric or otherwise but when a man who has been in both says the electric is better all round, I'll take his word for it.

D

Deleted member 15344

I've never been in a Ferrari, electric or otherwise but when a man who has been in both says the electric is better all round, I'll take his word for it.

I have been in a Ferrari and a Porsche , Lamborghini as well as. i8 and a Tesla

Being in a Ferrari and hearing the roar of the engine the shift when you drop it down a gear , going through a tunnel and hearing the noise - you know you’re in a sports car and it’s a thrill - the noise of a Vantage is superb

Never got any of that from an i8 - it’s mute , you can hear the odd whir of a battery , you can have some pretend noise if you want and the Tesla is no different - it’s souless and flat , it’s just about getting you somewhere

You don’t get a Ferrari or sports car to go from a to b