The all things EV chat thread

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Approximately 2% of cars on the UK roads are EV or hybrid
In 2019 /20 £28b was raised in fuel duty. That is £560m down based on the 2% (clearly that is a very approximate figure as we have no idea of the mileage they are doing, fuel that would have been consumed etc.)

Either way, it shows a/ a loss of income, b/ the way things are moving. The govt has to be prepared to plug the gap somehow and the thought process has to begin sooner rather than later.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
It wont for me, living in the sticks there's no options other than a car if I want to carry more than I can fit in a rucksack on my bike.
And that's where the pay per mile system becomes harder to get right
Why should people like you be penalised for where you live..?
A trip to Tesco, for example, could cost someone living in the sticks 5,10 or 20 times more than someone who lives a couple of miles from the shop.
It's a very difficult balancing act. Some drive for a living...charging them extra to do their job doesn't seem fair..
That, for me, is why pay per mile is either a non-starter or will punish certain sectors.

greenone

Visit site
A trip to Tesco, for example, could cost someone living in the sticks 5,10 or 20 times more than someone who lives a couple of miles from the shop.
It's a very difficult balancing act. Some drive for a living...charging them extra to do their job doesn't seem fair..
That, for me, is why pay per mile is either a non-starter or will punish certain sectors.
It's coming they have to fill the hole somehow. If you live in the sticks you already pay more through fuel duty. The price you pay should reflect where you live. They have the data through postcodes. Live in an area where you have a choice pay more, live in an area where you don't pay less per mile. Nearest shop to me is a supermarket, it's a 17 mile round trip.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Its leveling up in real terms ..rather than what we need and people want it's right it's brings the cost of living of the north in line with the south .. housing costs less but ur tax goes up for driving to the shops

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
It's coming they have to fill the hole somehow. If you live in the sticks you already pay more through fuel duty. The price you pay should reflect where you live. They have the data through postcodes. Live in an area where you have a choice pay more, live in an area where you don't pay less per mile. Neaest shop to me is a supermarket, it's a 17 mile round trip.
Works for me - I'm a mile from Tesco's....:ROFLMAO:

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Its leveling up in real terms ..rather than what we need and people want it's right it's brings the cost of living of the north in line with the south .. housing costs less but ur tax goes up for driving to the shops

Are wages in the SE of England on parity with the rest of the country?

My current client pays a "standard" day rate and a "London" rate (that's available to anyone living within 20 miles of London itself) which is around £100 per day extra.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Here we go... And was what I'd been saying from the start of the electric revolution

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60251046
What irks me is that the powers that be seem to think they need to introduce yet another piece of complex technology to deal with the problem: monitoring the miles travelled by vehicles in order to tax them accordingly.

What's wrong with using the technology that already exists in EVs: measure how much electricity has been put into the batteries?
In the meantime, keep fuel duty for ICE cars.

I will hazard a guess what the hidden agenda is: introduce road usage pricing under the guise of replacing the lost fuel duty, but make ICE cars also pay it even though the fuel duty will stay.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Are wages in the SE of England on parity with the rest of the country?

My current client pays a "standard" day rate and a "London" rate (that's available to anyone living within 20 miles of London itself) which is around £100 per day extra.
Sorry my flippant remark wasnt a dig at the north it was a dig at the whole way leveling up will be handled

london rate is higher but then housing is vastly higher (rightly or wrongly not saying on those lines)

but the cost of living outside of housing will increase in the north but wages will not reflect so they will "level up" but still have the divide .

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm not going to get into the argument again but taxation based on distance instead of energy consumption is dumb.

I remember what you said before, and I do agree with what you raised.. is I use 20kw for example to drive 22 miles .. but someone else used 20kw to drive 300 miles.. I should be charged the same . (even though that extreme wont happen but it does make fairer)

PIng

Head Pro
Visit site
Just bought an MG5 yesterday, to replace my Hyundai Ioniq lease car. Hopefully it will arrive before the Ioniq goes back. Love the Ioniq, but changing circumstances mean I need a bigger boot.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just bought an MG5 yesterday, to replace my Hyundai Ioniq lease car. Hopefully it will arrive before the Ioniq goes back. Love the Ioniq, but changing circumstances mean I need a bigger boot.

Has it got precondition now? That's only thing that's putting me off it