The all things EV chat thread

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
You said ...
The issue for me is - if a car runs out of petrol and is blocking something , out people get and push it to the side and wait for help - hold up will be around 5 mins

The Tesla - runs out of battery , anchor is dropped , cannot push it out of the way and it just sits there like a imovable rock - hold up will continue until someone puts some charge in or it’s lifted up and moved - that’s utterly daft and I hope it’s just limited to the Tesla

I've shown that is wrong.
If the driver ignored all the warnings of low battery, let it get to 0 % range, then drove another 10-20 miles on reserve then they are not very clever. So it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't know how to put it into neutral.
Or, the whole thing was a set up

D

Deleted member 15344

You said ...

I've shown that is wrong.
If the driver ignored all the warnings of low battery, let it get to 0 % range, then drove another 10-20 miles on reserve then they are not very clever. So it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't know how to put it into neutral.
Or, the whole thing was a set up

so you think the driver sat there for 3 hours not doing anything ? Didn’t bother to see if he could get it into neutral or search you tube to find if there was anyway of getting it moving ?

Or you think that they just sat there as a set up to cause 3 hours worth of hold up to a significant amount of others ?‍♂️

ok I guess it’s clear that there can never be any fault with the EV then

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Simply if the car runs out of juice, it is the drivers fault, plenty of warnings issued.

If the car is then immobilised as a result and cannot be moved, then this is a design fault.

Now can we stop going round in ever decreasing circles ?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Simply if the car runs out of juice, it is the drivers fault, plenty of warnings issued.

If the car is then immobilised as a result and cannot be moved, then this is a design fault.

Now can we stop going round in ever decreasing circles ?

That's the whole point, it's not a design fault.
When a Tesla model S runs out, you can put the car into neutral and push it.
If the user doesn't know that, it's not the fault of the car.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
The real question is why is Westfield's (both of them in London) welcome to so many cars. It has excellent rail connections and driving their is a nightmare (even with a telsa broken down) if we really want to go green people should be encouraged to get public transport their
Westfield is a big shopping centre, and many visitors are likely to buy a lot of stuff, which will need a car to get home. Trains don't have guards vans for bulky items any more.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That's the whole point, it's not a design fault.
When a Tesla model S runs out, you can put the car into neutral and push it.
If the user doesn't know that, it's not the fault of the car.

And like an ice car has never had an issue .. just looking for an angle as always

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's not so much a flaw as just a byproduct of design

Whenever the engine isn't running the car has regen braking to use little energy and capture energy loss

This engages automatically and means that if you try and push you can't because you don't have the force to move the car

Some ev you can push a bit but no power steering

However what should be focused on is that fact the driver has ignored so many warnings

You get a warning and enabling of turtle model when you get low..it says charge now and directs you to charge points

If you ignore that and carry on not to a charge point your irresponsible
Sorry it’s a flaw!
The crane I used to drive had electric motors with the brakes released by electricity.( dead mans handle)
But even in the 1980s it had an override system to move it if it broke down.
You can’t teach stupid people so you need a safety net.

The only thing I can think of is the Tesla might be to heavy to push up the ramp.
Did it say how they moved it eventually.

Last edited:

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sorry it’s a flaw!
The crane I used to drive had electric motors with the brakes released by electricity.( dead mans handle)

Apparently you can push them, I'm unsure why this telsa was unable to be but Apparently you can but can't tow them

D

Deleted member 15344

Sorry it’s a flaw!

The only thing I can think of is the Tesla might be to heavy to push up the ramp.
Did it say how they moved it eventually.

The report says the car had zero power at all and that put it in park mode so couldn’t be moved at all beyond lifting it

They ended up running a cable so that it could be plug in for 15 mins so that it gave it enough juice to get to one of the Tesla charging points in the car park

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
So on the dead betters issue, I’m now wondering how many ICE auto’s with EPBs would suffer the same.

In ‘off’ mode my car (a 100% ICE) is placed in park by the gearbox controller and the Electronic Parking Brake is applied. Only once the car is started can the gear be moved out of Park and the EPB disengaged. If my battery died or failed I think I would have the same problem.

Ok it’s not likely to happen on a busy road but I suppose a battery could fail at any time.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So on the dead betters issue, I’m now wondering how many ICE auto’s with EPBs would suffer the same.

In ‘off’ mode my car (a 100% ICE) is placed in park by the gearbox controller and the Electronic Parking Brake is applied. Only once the car is started can the gear be moved out of Park and the EPB disengaged. If my battery died or failed I think I would have the same problem.

Ok it’s not likely to happen on a busy road but I suppose a battery could fail at any time.

I did wonder this, all the cars I've bought since 2012 have had electric parking brakes which put a bolt through the wheel

If that stays on the cars going nowhere

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
I did wonder this, all the cars I've bought since 2012 have had electric parking brakes which put a bolt through the wheel

If that stays on the cars going nowhere

They don’t put a bolt through the wheel, the rear callipers have an electronic servo that winds out when engaged, essentially electronically like putting your foot on the pedal.
But the rely on power to release, well that’s not entirely true either, they mostly have a mechanical override but it’s not something I’d want to be doing on a busy dual carriageway.

The secondary issue is the power failing whilst the car is in park. There is no mechanical override for an electronically controlled autobox.