The all things EV chat thread

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I looked into EV BIK advantage but given our Fiesta is 7 yes old cost £0 tax and has just reached 40k miles … the wife doesn’t see the point in releasing funds from the business to pay given it will incur a steady £300-£600 monthly cost (although tax deductible) . So we are sitting tight !

Bit boring though :( but I cannot see us saving more than we are currently

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

Chargers switched off during peak hours, motorways/A roads/fast chargers will NOT be turned off.
Besides, who on earth wants to charge their car at peak rate?
If everyone changed to electric cars overnight, and all charged their cars at peak rate, then yes, the national grid would struggle.
But that's not going to happen.
The grid's capacity will grow as electric car numbers grow

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
There's always doom and gloom no matter what comes along
???
Seeing as access to charging is one of the major obstacles that many people have it seems to be relevant.
And to answer Bob's question...someone who is low on charge and needs to plug in now needs to do it now regardless of what time of day it is.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Seeing as access to charging is one of the major obstacles that many people have it seems to be relevant.
And to answer Bob's question...someone who is low on charge and needs to plug in now needs to do it now regardless of what time of day it is.

I'm sure what will more likely happen rather than this scaremongering is that chargers will be programmed to start later unless you override them

I have mine set up like this. It won't draw before 01:30 unless I override it

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

I repeat...
If everyone changed to electric cars overnight, and all charged their cars at peak rate, then yes, the national grid would struggle.
This will not happen as
1. The whole country will not change to EVs tomorrow
2. Every EV driver will not charge their car at peak rate
3. The grid will continue to expand it's usage of renewable energy over the next decade as it is the cheapest, cleanest and sustainable source of energy available.
  • The cost of renewable technologies like wind and solar is falling significantly, according to a new report.
  • This is fuelling the rise of renewables as the world’s cheapest source of energy.
  • The cost of large-scale solar projects has plunged 85% in a decade.
  • Retiring costly coal plants would also cut around three gigatonnes of CO2 a year.
https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2021/07/renewables-cheapest-energy-source/

4. Less fossil fuels burned
5. Cleaner air for future generations of children to breathe.
6. Slow down climate change

And as someone once said, Wow, just wow, fun to drive

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I repeat...
This will not happen as
1. The whole country will not change to EVs tomorrow
2. Every EV driver will not charge their car at peak rate
3. The grid will continue to expand it's usage of renewable energy over the next decade as it is the cheapest, cleanest and sustainable source of energy available.
  • The cost of renewable technologies like wind and solar is falling significantly, according to a new report.
  • This is fuelling the rise of renewables as the world’s cheapest source of energy.
  • The cost of large-scale solar projects has plunged 85% in a decade.
  • Retiring costly coal plants would also cut around three gigatonnes of CO2 a year.
https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2021/07/renewables-cheapest-energy-source/

4. Less fossil fuels burned
5. Cleaner air for future generations of children to breathe.
6. Slow down climate change

And as someone once said, Wow, just wow, fun to drive
No argument to that.
The question was Who on earth wants to charge their car at peak rate?
The answer stands.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm surprised this has been brought up, but then again perhap's I'm not..Power supply cut through fire

Be very interested to see the affect of this on my energy deal come November

ATM I pay 14p (5.5 at night) the fixed rates for 2 years (only one that came up for octopus on their site) was 24p .. that would be awful... However when you ask their current price for the go tariff (for the car) it's 15 and 5.5 which wouldn't be as bad but still a rise

It doesn't let on the gas price as much (2.5 ATM I think) however if Goes too high I'll stick the heat pumps on

It's almost like a perfect storm of the b word , covid and now just bad luck is stuffing our nation

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I saw this earlier in the week and saw we were firing up a mothballed coal fired power station. That’s disappointing. We need to build nuclear power stations and pronto. And not rely on the Chinese or the French to do it for us.

The head of octopus energy pretty much said the same. Said the lack of investment by the government in green energy will cost us long term

Standard tho. First thing to be cut is public services , think of all the jobs that could be created