The all things EV chat thread

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Corolla. I had the auris hybrid which it replaced I believe. Similar size anyways

My sister had the Yaris hybrid. It's very small

Least with the corolla you can get a little extra in

The Yaris is a great car for a single person but it has some limitations. The Corolla is a good middle ground, still easy to park, gives you more flexibility for carrying things, having passengers etc.

The size of the cabin isn’t an issue. We sold our Kia Niro in January last year as Mrs Hobbit wouldn’t drive it - “too big,” even though we had had Audi A6’s for years. We replaced the Niro with a Kia Picanto, which she drives quite happily.

It took a long while for me not to lip curl getting into the Picanto, and would love another Niro. Unfortunately, she twitched a bit when we tried the Corolla on Friday. The Yaris boot is about 10 inches bigger front to back than the Picanto’s.

Apart from an airport run, collecting and dropping people and cases, there’s no need for a bigger car. And for the odd week or two people come out, we can always hire something.

Yaris is winning.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The size of the cabin isn’t an issue. We sold our Kia Niro in January last year as Mrs Hobbit wouldn’t drive it - “too big,” even though we had had Audi A6’s for years. We replaced the Niro with a Kia Picanto, which she drives quite happily.

It took a long while for me not to lip curl getting into the Picanto, and would love another Niro. Unfortunately, she twitched a bit when we tried the Corolla on Friday. The Yaris boot is about 10 inches bigger front to back than the Picanto’s.

Apart from an airport run, collecting and dropping people and cases, there’s no need for a bigger car. And for the odd week or two people come out, we can always hire something.

Yaris is winning.
My sister is on to her 3rd Yaris, never put a foot wrong and saved her when she was in a pretty nasty accident. If boot space isn't an issue then go for it, cracking little cars.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
We move lots of Hyundai electrics around, and concur the Ionic 5 is really nice as is the Kona
I have the kona electric. Well, my wife does. Amazing car. Air conditioning seats are amazing after a round in the sweltering heat. The only thing I don't like is the VESS (virtual engine sound system). You can't turn it off which is annoying my neighbours when I reverse off My drive at 6am. And before someone says why don't I reverse it on my drive I have to point it nose in to charge

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have the kona electric. Well, my wife does. Amazing car. Air conditioning seats are amazing after a round in the sweltering heat. The only thing I don't like is the VESS (virtual engine sound system). You can't turn it off which is annoying my neighbours when I reverse off My drive at 6am. And before someone says why don't I reverse it on my drive I have to point it nose in to charge

Really wanted that car. It's very nice

I'll see if I can get the skoda next time if it can fit all of us

PIng

Head Pro
Visit site
Can you get your clubs in the boot ok? I have an Ioniq electric and can get the bag and trolly in at a push, but usually just fold the seats down. Looked into the back of a Kona and it looked a bit smaller?

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Can you get your clubs in the boot ok? I have an Ioniq electric and can get the bag and trolly in at a push, but usually just fold the seats down. Looked into the back of a Kona and it looked a bit smaller?
When I was looking to replace my old car a while ago, I could get my full bag and trolley in the Ioniq hybrid boot, but no chance in a Kona hybrid.
i bought a Mazda 3

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Its a long way off yet (BMW inform me that my likely delivery time will be July 2022) but I am quite excited by the fact the the i4 is only losing 10L of boot space compared to its ICE brethren (470L vs 480L in the Grande Coupe it shares its design with).

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I can if I take my driver out. But, like you I just fold the small side down and slot them in to make room for my trolley too. The boot space in the kona isn't the greatest. I'm currently on holiday and managed two large suitcases though

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
The Skoda Superb iV has a towing capacity and mine is fitted with a towbar. I've not used it yet but I'll let you know how it goes.
Just an update. Last week I towed my caravan from Glasgow to Silverdale, then Kelso and back to Glasgow. I had fully charged it before I set off, had it on hybrid mode with the gearbox in 'B' mode and managed to get well into the 30+ MPG which for towing a caravan which is pretty much the same as I was getting with my 2.0 diesel. The battery level dropped pretty slowly on the initial journey as it was motorway so pretty steady speeds. Going back home from Kelso then we were going along country roads and that caused the battery level to fall a lot faster.
However, the issue about charging remains. From a commercial charger it still takes 3-4 hours to charge as it can't take higher rates, and in some areas, there are just not enough charging points near enough that I can charge my car and walk back.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
However, the issue about charging remains. From a commercial charger it still takes 3-4 hours to charge as it can't take higher rates, and in some areas, there are just not enough charging points near enough that I can charge my car and walk back.
So the issue is the car not the chargers? Do you have a hybrid or electric car?
My car charges to 80% (240miles) in 40 minutes with a commercial fast charger

Last edited:

Robster59

Tour Rookie
So the issue is the car not the chargers? Do you have a hybrid or electric car?
My car charges to 80% (240miles) in 40 minutes with a commercial fast charger
It's both. The car is certainly an issue as it does not take a fast charge. It's a Plug-In Hybrid. But the availability of commercial chargers in out of the way areas is also an issue. There were plenty in Carnforth nearby, but that would have been an hours walk each way minimum.
It's an issue with Plug-In hybrids, I know.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's both. The car is certainly an issue as it does not take a fast charge. It's a Plug-In Hybrid. But the availability of commercial chargers in out of the way areas is also an issue. There were plenty in Carnforth nearby, but that would have been an hours walk each way minimum.
It's an issue with Plug-In hybrids, I know.
I understand what you're saying but you're using a hybrid for the exact opposite its designed for. No doubt you love your local trips to the supermarket ect. If you had all electric you would make to to your campsite and back without the need to stop and charge. Plus all electric can take a fast charge so you wouldn't have to walk back.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
I understand what you're saying but you're using a hybrid for the exact opposite its designed for. No doubt you love your local trips to the supermarket ect. If you had all electric you would make to to your campsite and back without the need to stop and charge. Plus all electric can take a fast charge so you wouldn't have to walk back.
In what way am I using it for the exact opposite? It's a company car so, practically for tax purposes, it was my best choice.
I charge it up at night at home and when being used locally it is nearly always on electric. But it is a business car, so on longer runs I put it on hybrid to optimise it for economy. My job covers UK and Ireland so the mileages I do vary tremendously.
The caravan towing happens just occasionally. Nearly all current all-electric cars are not suitable for towing, and it would deplete the factory much faster, and those that are I can't get on my list. Also, travelling down we popped into Gretna services, and it was immensely busy and even getting to a charging point was a nightmare, if there was one available.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
In what way am I using it for the exact opposite? It's a company car so, practically for tax purposes, it was my best choice.
I charge it up at night at home and when being used locally it is nearly always on electric. But it is a business car, so on longer runs I put it on hybrid to optimise it for economy. My job covers UK and Ireland so the mileages I do vary tremendously.
The caravan towing happens just occasionally. Nearly all current all-electric cars are not suitable for towing, and it would deplete the factory much faster, and those that are I can't get on my list. Also, travelling down we popped into Gretna services, and it was immensely busy and even getting to a charging point was a nightmare, if there was one available.
I meant towing a caravan the opposite thing they are designed for. As for charging stations. Why do people think service stations are the only place to charge? They're are literally thousands away from services. However, with a 300 mile range you rearly use them. People just seem to look too hard to find an excuse not to own one. If I can drive from Lichfield to Cornwall and back with no issues then so can anyone

Last edited:

Robster59

Tour Rookie
I meant towing a caravan the opposite thing they are designed for. As for charging stations. Why do people think service stations are the only place to charge? They're are literally thousands away from services. However, with a 300 mile range you rearly use them. People just seem to look too hard to find an excuse not to own one. If I can drive from Lichfield to Cornwall and back with no issues then so can anyone
The caravan is a rare thing, and not what it was got for. My original comment on this was to say it can be done. I am not denying there are thousands away from services. I am on ChargePlace Scotland (although that's in a bit of a mess at the moment as I was an hour on their help line with no answer on Saturday after trying to use the two charge points in Kelso. One was not working and one wasn't communicating with the network) and know from their own map how many there are. I am simply saying that the spread is not uniform throughout the UK. I have nothing against electric cars, I will probably get my missus one as her next car as she doesn't do big mileages.
I also think taking 40 minutes to charge a car is still too long. I am sure it will get faster but on a long journey I don't tend to stop anywhere for that length of time. I am in to get something to eat on the go and carry on.

Last edited:

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Anyone watch Guy Martin last night? Could put a lot of people off leccy. He found driving a Ionic 5 was very expensive to charge up on forecourts, and half of the chargers he had a problem with. His summation was it’s ok in a town but not if you have a long journey (he went to John o groats)

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
The caravan is a rare thing, and not what it was got for. My original comment on this was to say it can be done. I am not denying there are thousands away from services. I am on ChargePlace Scotland (although that's in a bit of a mess at the moment as I was an hour on their help line with no answer on Saturday after trying to use the two charge points in Kelso. One was not working and one wasn't communicating with the network) and know from their own map how many there are. I am simply saying that the spread is not uniform throughout the UK. I have nothing against electric cars, I will probably get my missus one as her next car as she doesn't do big mileages.
I also think taking 40 minutes to charge a car is still too long. I am sure it will get faster but on a long journey I don't tend to stop anywhere for that length of time. I am in to get something to eat on the go and carry on.
40 minutes to fuel a car is of course a long time. However, these are only on rare occasions when 300 miles isn't enough. So for eg I drove to Cornwall from Lichfield and on the way back popped in for a 100 charge to get me home. It took 20 minutes and was at a mcdonald's.
Whilst I wait I just think how I'm saving £250 a month on my fuel bill. All of a sudden 20 minutes whilst golloping down a big mac isn't so bad ?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Seen a prog on TV last night “worlds fastest Electric Car “and it said it can take up to a week to put out a fire in an EV.
The older batteries just keep on bubbling and reigniting .
More modern ones are better, but plenty of older ones still out there.
In Germany any Ev that goes on fire is put in a special skip full of water for a week.
That’s a bit scary.