The all things EV chat thread

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Solid state batteries ... Talks of 300 mile range Rechargeable in 10 mins

https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/M...g-solid-state-battery-en-route-for-2021-debut

Charging is improving all time from the originals

My 50kw battery can handle speeds of up to 100kw per hour charge

Which garages like bp and shell are installing in forecourts

Half hour for a full charge

20 mins for 20-80% which would be enough to top up for me

View attachment 36240

However this is improvement on what was just a few years ago

5 years time? Who knows

The charging station at Braintree has twelve 350kw chargers right now.
I know there's not that many cars that can charge that fast but it's the future

https://www.whatcar.com/news/uks-first-electric-car-charging-forecourt-opens/n21937

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
As a motor sport competitor my view is having 'fun' or 'spirited driving' and 'ragging it ' usually means driving faster than normal for the circumstances, expecially cornering which on country roads with constrained visibility ain't wise. The excitement is from the danger!

Public roads are for A to B travel where an EV can suffice.

If you want 'excitement ' go to a Track Day with a suitable motor and get brown trousers without endangering anyone other than yourself.

Odd that I have 25 years plus of no claims bonus. According to you I should crash at least once a week.

The lanes I go through are two way traffic, and I always slow for corners so that I can stop if necessary. It is still possible to have fun, within the speed limits, and visibility requirements. There are often cyclists or horses about who need respect.
Thanks for the advice, but I think I will manage OK.

theoneandonly

Blackballed
Visit site
Ragged my Z4 through the lanes today, hood down, engine up. Nothing electric is going to come close to the experience. Just pure driving fun.

Oooooooh I beg to differ, I drive a Porsche Taycan. OMG it's truly epic and I'll never buy a internal combustion car again. With ss bats to come things are only getting lighter and even more crazy.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Oooooooh I beg to differ, I drive a Porsche Taycan. OMG it's truly epic and I'll never buy a internal combustion car again. With ss bats to come things are only getting lighter and even more crazy.
Starting price £83k, not exactly an option for most people.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Mines the Turbo S ;) And the quote was nothing electric comes close to the driving experience of that famously cheap car of the people the BMW Z4..
Well if you're talking that sort of budget then you still can't get the same driving experience from electric as you can from a similarly priced ICE car.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Well if you're talking that sort of budget then you still can't get the same driving experience from electric as you can from a similarly priced ICE car.

There are those who say you can't get the same driving experience from a car as you can from a motor bike.
Thank goodness we're all different.

Now, about electric motorbikes....anyone fancy an electric Harley?

18_livewire_02_1.jpg

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Mines the Turbo S ;) And the quote was nothing electric comes close to the driving experience of that famously cheap car of the people the BMW Z4..

Well, my famously cheap car of the people, Z4, cost me 5500 about 4 years ago. That us about the cost of the cup holders in your Taycan.

A lot of the fun in the Z4 is obviously having the roof down, the engine noise, the involvment of driving, while not actually needing to go silly fast.

It also fits the road, being quite small. A bigger car doesn't really fit, as I know too well from driving my CLS.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site