The all things EV chat thread

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ragged my Z4 through the lanes today, hood down, engine up. Nothing electric is going to come close to the experience. Just pure driving fun.

However with what's got to change in the world so the planet doesn't die off what's More important? A bit of fun or the ability to get from a to b

Electric may never replace the feel for petrol heads but I don't think that's the important part

Getting electric ready to be the best replacement it can be for normal driving

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
However with what's got to change in the world so the planet doesn't die off what's More important? A bit of fun or the ability to get from a to b
I hear that comment all to often with EV owners, when they have a small EV and a 4x4 or SUV as well.
If concern for the planet is that great, why not get rid of the big thirsty lump and have another EV?
And just to be clear, that is not directed at you personally just in general at those who have the small EV and second big car.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I hear that comment all to often with EV owners, when they have a small EV and a 4x4 or SUV as well.
If concern for the planet is that great, why not get rid of the big thirsty lump and have another EV?
And just to be clear, that is not directed at you personally just in general at those who have the small EV and second big car.

I think this will change soon as the options are coming

Most need a big SUV or such to actually get their family about , so options are limited . However now there is the Skoda coming SUV that looks brilliant and has good range

The options are there

As I've said s few times. Once my kids old enough I'd love to get an SUV EV

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site

Electric may never replace the feel for petrol heads but I don't think that's the important part

Getting electric ready to be the best replacement it can be for normal driving

Absolute tosh. Can't see it any other way.

2006 car, made years ago, versus buying a new car with all the environmental impact of buying new. Recycling is, and always will be greener.
Reducing flights, cruises, foreign holidays will make way more difference than someone blatting enthusiastically for 5 miles to the golf club.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Absolute tosh. Can't see it any other way.

2006 car, made years ago, versus buying a new car with all the environmental impact of buying new. Recycling is, and always will be greener.
Reducing flights, cruises, foreign holidays will make way more difference than someone blatting enthusiastically for 5 miles to the golf club.

Absolutely if you keep the car until it dies, keep it going .. in good condition so that it goes as economically as it can etc etc

Then when you come to replace tech will have moved enough forward

Could keep that car another what 10-15 years?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Absolutely if you keep the car until it dies, keep it going .. in good condition so that it goes as economically as it can etc etc

Then when you come to replace tech will have moved enough forward

Could keep that car another what 10-15 years?

For sure. I am in no hurry to change it, I love driving it.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
For sure. I am in no hurry to change it, I love driving it.

I had an E46 M3. I've regretted selling if from the moment it left my driveway.

Having a nice fun to drive car is something worth keeping hold of. If I can continue worfrom home going forward I could be tempted to get something more fun while we still can.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I had an E46 M3. I've regretted selling if from the moment it left my driveway.

Having a nice fun to drive car is something worth keeping hold of. If I can continue worfrom home going forward I could be tempted to get something more fun while we still can.
I think this sums up EVs for me. They serve a purpose but based on my experience they just don't give the same driving pleasure as a conventional car. If I have to make a long journey then I want it to be as enjoyable as possible and a ICE car does the job better.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
If lecky car technology mirrors that of phones, and it will... hang on a bit and we'll all be driving them!

Then the climate police will suss that electricity production isn't green and they'll campaign against them too.

Saw a 40 year old hippy on a kids scooter. Thats nice and green, but its not gonna get me the 140 miles tp visit my mum!

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
As a motor sport competitor my view is having 'fun' or 'spirited driving' and 'ragging it ' usually means driving faster than normal for the circumstances, expecially cornering which on country roads with constrained visibility ain't wise. The excitement is from the danger!

Public roads are for A to B travel where an EV can suffice.

If you want 'excitement ' go to a Track Day with a suitable motor and get brown trousers without endangering anyone other than yourself.

D

Deleted Member 1156

As a motor sport competitor my view is having 'fun' or 'spirited driving' and 'ragging it ' usually means driving faster than normal for the circumstances, expecially cornering which on country roads with constrained visibility ain't wise. The excitement is from the danger!

Public roads are for A to B travel where an EV can suffice.

If you want 'excitement ' go to a Track Day with a suitable motor and get brown trousers without endangering anyone other than yourself.
My view is different to yours.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Forgetting to charge becomes not a thing tho , just stick the cable in when you get home

Fair enough

Supermarkets need more chargers for sure

Lampost chargers look a very good way around off street

No, lamppost chargers are not practicable. Do we have a society where it is safe to have a car charging in the street overnight, cables at the mercy of any yobs who may decide to "have a bit of fun".?
Or, those seeking compensation for "injuries" caused by your cable that they "tripped "over.?
These may seem extreme examples of problems, but are they? We won't be talking about the odd cable in a street, when EVs are the vast majority of cars
then there are streets where there will be cables everywhere.
I look outside my window and it would be chaotic charging the cars I see parked overnight here.
Totally impracticable I'm afraid.
I am in favour of EVs . But it will not happen until serious difficulties are overcome. Price -And mostly , charging the battery.
I suggest that there will come a time ,sooner than many think, when the battery technology will be such that the battery will become portable enough to be taken indoors and charged there , much as my buggy ( not trolley) battery is now.
The drive for EVs will cause that to happen. There will be such a need for ICE cars to be abandoned and EVs to be the norm , that this technology will be achieved.
Never underestimate the pace of change.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Fine.

The facts are.
Average reaction time 0.18 seconds, at 60mph (27mps) it takes about 0.15 seconds to travel the (3,3m) width of a country lane: you're in the hedge or opposite lane before you've reacted!
You are assuming people only 'rag it' on hedge lined Country lanes. I've driven on roads in Wales and Scotland where you can see literally miles down the road and they have virtually no traffic on them.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Never underestimate the pace of change.
Isn't this part of the problem though. Now I fully understand ICE vehicles have to be phased out and the enviromental arguements against them and for EV, however if has been likened to mobile phones technology and the pace that it travels so fast aren't we just going to pollute more with a constant changing of vehicles? Years back a mobile phone was good for 5 years, then 3 years now 18 months. We are already see a 3 year lease as the norm for car ownership, but that in itself is highly polluting and damaging to the enviroment just to save a few grams of CO2 in our ownership of the car (we convieniently forget the construction etc of that new car).
Instead of just looking for vehicles we drive to change, how about we also change our ownership pattern. You could start by banning 3 years ownerships plans and make it a minimum 8 year ownership life of all new vehicles.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I am in favour of EVs . But it will not happen until serious difficulties are overcome. Price -And mostly , charging the battery.
I suggest that there will come a time ,sooner than many think, when the battery technology will be such that the battery will become portable enough to be taken indoors and charged there , much as my buggy ( not trolley) battery is now.

It's either that or charging gets faster.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Until that speed gets to similar to filling up with petrol..........Hmmm
The street parking has to be catered for, one way or another.?

Solid state batteries ... Talks of 300 mile range Rechargeable in 10 mins

https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/M...g-solid-state-battery-en-route-for-2021-debut

Charging is improving all time from the originals

My 50kw battery can handle speeds of up to 100kw per hour charge

Which garages like bp and shell are installing in forecourts

Half hour for a full charge

20 mins for 20-80% which would be enough to top up for me

Screenshot_20210418-144206_Chrome.jpg

However this is improvement on what was just a few years ago

5 years time? Who knows

Last edited: