The all things EV chat thread

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It was a nightmare this morning , car frozen over. Turn engine on - front and rear heat on , spray windows with de icer , get in car , nice and warm and on my way in 5 mins Max . Topped car up with a full tank in 5 mins , all done and dusted with little hassle. Nice and simple , no need to plug in car , wait around , get a power point installed at cost.

Is that what an electric car all about now - being warm when you get in it ?!

Ofc not. It's a nice little bonus/ time saver

PowerPoint installed at cost .. bearly any cost. £500. Now it's there I can use forever. £100 pm saving on petrol by using the electric

Paid for itself by June.

Also yesterday's example. Been up since 5:30 am the 30th

Done my 10 hour night shift
So was my 26th hour of being awake

Could have done without it

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
It was a nightmare this morning , car frozen over. Turn engine on - front and rear heat on , spray windows with de icer , get in car , nice and warm and on my way in 5 mins Max . Topped car up with a full tank in 5 mins , all done and dusted with little hassle. Nice and simple , no need to plug in car , wait around , get a power point installed at cost.

How much does a full tank cost you?

D

Deleted member 15344

And how much per day to get to work or per mile

My 50 mile round trip

Less than £1 a day compared to £6 ATM

I work from home so it costs me zero - just need to get to shops and golf club , it’s also in a car significantly cheaper than the equivalent electric car

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I work from home so it costs me zero - just need to get to shops and golf club , it’s also in a car significantly cheaper than the equivalent electric car

So really.. the initial question of would you buy an electric car the answer is

Doesn't suit me ATM

Thank you for your input

Price of car .. not always relevent either as people drive around in jags.. they could drive fords.

D

Deleted member 15344

The average cost of driving an EV, based on 14p per KWh is 4p per mile
Off peak electricity is 5p per KWh.
But how much extra is the car compared to the equivalent petrol/deseil car ? From what I looked at it’s approx £10k more expensive, lease about £100 a month more maybe more - so for some it’s more expensive to have an electric car

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site

It was nice to start the preconditioning on the 14th and get in a warm car after a freezing 18 holes I can tell you!

D

Deleted Member 1156

I'm a self confessed petrol (actually diesel) head. I think some EV's are great and will certainly consider one in the future but right now I'm perfectly happy with what I've got.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm a self confessed petrol (actually diesel) head. I think some EV's are great and will certainly consider one in the future but right now I'm perfectly happy with what I've got.

Which is perfectly fine, gives chance for tech to advance further ..

I love My diesel which I'll keep for 10 years until the kids are out of car seats ..

But the second car might aswell be electric

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
Covid petrol MPG £10 last 4 weeks - no saving on electric at current usage.

I do miss my ZOE 22kw and the 70 mile winter range :) drive 15 miles to golf club use Best Western charger return to full tank (y) pre heating was OK till the subscription runs out then it's 100% not worth the investment for a hit n miss app service I hope it's got better in 15 months since mine went.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
pre heating was OK till the subscription runs out then it's 100% not worth the investment for a hit n miss app service I hope it's got better in 15 months since mine went.
Are you saying it's not something the car can do free of charge?
If so, it's strange how no mention of that has been made;)

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Are you saying it's not something the car can do free of charge?
If so, it's strange how no mention of that has been made;)

They are free of charge now . Well mine is

Also I can program it from the car aswell as the app so can set it to auto do mornings. No charge for that

Zoe not sure but I'd guess free now. Like the rest

With VauxhallConnect you have services included for 10 years and the ability to buy services according your demand and availability. Services which are included and without any further payment are for example e-call, b-call, Vehicle Status & Information, Remote services, Trip & Drive Management. Live Navigation is included for 3 years free of charge. A service requiring additional payment is for example Road Safety Alerts (note: Service Road Safety Alerts is not available in Germany and Switzerland).

For example they don't charge for certain things but most these 3 year apps are sat nav updates

I prefer using andriod auto to get free Google maps

Last edited:

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Will start with it's not for everyone but suits me

20210123_070423_copy_1024x876.jpg

Car arrived Thursday, all set up now ready

20210123_064322.jpg

App is operational (free for life ) gives me options for deffering charge and pre heating. Both can be done via the car itself but this sends to car remotely a lot easier.

Setting the car to deffer charge when plugging cable in is easy, one button when you plug in next to the socket

20210123_064410.jpg

Battery info and charge control, the range is off as I been sitting in it playing around / only been short trips ATM

20210123_064241.jpg

Preconditioning schedules or can just hit activate

20210123_064352.jpg

First charge overnight .. arrived with approx half battery so charged it in the cheap times £1.24

20210123_064548.jpg

This is an app I use to track my electric usage, can see it hammers the night times (even before we have a oil heater in twins room, dishwasher, and washing machine on timers for the cheaper times)

Last week I drove the seat in every day £35 worth of fuel (actually measured as I filled it up the last day on way home to see how long it's going to last) so £7 a day

This returns roughly 3.5-3.8 miles per kw but going for 3.5 as it's winter , do 2 days so 100 miles will use 29 kw £1.50 for the 2 days .. over a week almost £5 . £30 saving

Nights ofc will cost me more £4 for 2 days fuel as unable to charge at cheap times as wil be working

Averages out though, nights every 7 weeks

Once again will finish with appreciate not everyone can , will, wants to, is able to, etc but suits me perfect