The all things EV chat thread

D

Deleted member 18588

Heard an interesting piece quoting the top man at Toyota.

Whilst he acknowledged the progress being made with battery technology he cannot see EV's making the big breakthrough until the cost to the consumer reduces by approx 30% in real terms.

I must admit that together with questions over range the cost of the vehicles deters me from considering full electric.

I would be prepared to consider some form of hybrid but getting over 40 mpg from petrol means I'm slightly less bothered by savings in running costs.

And I will never have another diesel.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Heard an interesting piece quoting the top man at Toyota.

Whilst he acknowledged the progress being made with battery technology he cannot see EV's making the big breakthrough until the cost to the consumer reduces by approx 30% in real terms.

I must admit that together with questions over range the cost of the vehicles deters me from considering full electric.

I would be prepared to consider some form of hybrid but getting over 40 mpg from petrol means I'm slightly less bothered by savings in running costs.

And I will never have another diesel.

I had a soft hybrid as they call them sometimes

I got 55-65mpg which was brilliant

Plug ins are suppose to be good

I'd considering one now I have a home charger

One full EV that I could charge most nights then every few nights charge the plug in

That would be good

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Yep BUT the two electric cars I want are proper bucks - Porsche Taycan Turbo S or the Audi E Tron GT both around £130k - £160k

pool888

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Sorry haven't got time to read all 26 pages to see what all has already been spoken about. I've had a Model 3 Performance for around 8 months if you have any questions.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sorry haven't got time to read all 26 pages to see what all has already been spoken about. I've had a Model 3 Performance for around 8 months if you have any questions.

Basically arguments from both sides about how they aren't for everyone

Some strong ice saying their poor some strong ev saying their good

Etc

And repeat

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Was freezing this morning when I was leaving work

I was a bit gutted the Corsa isn't here yet .. could have preheated no de icing

But then decided to fill up on way home.. yes took 5 mins .. no big deal but i was standing their freezing thinking couple weeks can just plug in at home and forget about it

Defo convenience for me

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Was proper stitched up yesterday (New Years eve)

Was tasked with taking an electric Vehicle from a dealership to a auction prep centre, only 23 miles, but the car was given to me with only 9 miles range, and no rapid chargers on site.

Great Thanks guys

Anyway a quick search of the BP Chargemaster app revealed a rapid charger a short distance away at a Toby Carvery, great I thought, went there, car park closed off, no entry to the charger area.

The app revealed another one at a Holiday inn a couple of miles away. got there with 5 miles left thinking if this one wasnt available then I’d have to take it back to base.Fortunately it was ok and a 25 minute charge got me a 40 mile range.

However because the charge was still low, the car wouldn’t come out of full eco mode, so no heating and was freezing my nuts off when I got to Slough.

If dealerships want their E vehicles moved, they need to check the previous day that there is enough charge in them

new working protocols being suggested to my boss. ?

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site

And you still have your licence :) crazy fast absolute stunning car, wish I did the mileage to warrant 40k+ TM3 so smooth. enjoy pal

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
I had a soft hybrid as they call them sometimes

I got 55-65mpg which was brilliant

Plug ins are suppose to be good

I'd considering one now I have a home charger

One full EV that I could charge most nights then every few nights charge the plug in

That would be good

Wifes Yaris hybrid does 55mpg on the dashboard computer, battery hardly gets used unless in traffic.

Plug in's I've tried the volvo diesel plug in 3 years old with 40k battery lasts for 20 miles and MPG was 45 Outlander 4 years old 50k again 20 miles if lucky and mileage the same.

:cry: My view hybrids and plug in's are a plain scam to make you think your doing something for the world, your not it's lining the pockets of the car manufacturers again, full EV only route if you want the real deal Xpeng G3 hopefully the XIAOMI of the EV world, flagship with realistic costs. Norway have the first batch outside of China.

Great if Tesla had a crack at a small car for the masses soon :) 2 years till I'm fifty TM3 is on the cards (late life crisis purchase) :cool:

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Or you could do what some folk do and start the car and leave it running for 10-15 minutes while it defrosts:confused::confused::confused:
For many years I did what my father did. Extension lead and a fan heater. Pop it in the car, have breakfast, drive off in a toasty car ?
My 2012 old style hybrid has the ability to heat up at a set time though, when I can be bothered.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I had two hot water bottles coming off nights.
One on the dashboard to defrost the screen one on the drivers seat.
Five mins before clocking off was all it took to soften the ice for the wipers to clear it.
The good old days.:ROFLMAO:

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am very interested in the BMW i4 that is due 2022. The mooted i4 M50 variant looks very attractive and if the early renderings are accurate then its finally a good looking fully EV that will be, whilst still expensive, not quite in Model S or X territory.

Caveat on that is that all details are sketchy at best for now so prices are speculative.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The app revealed another one at a Holiday inn a couple of miles away. got there with 5 miles left thinking if this one wasnt available then I’d have to take it back to base.Fortunately it was ok and a 25 minute charge got me a 40 mile range.
However because the charge was still low, the car wouldn’t come out of full eco mode, so no heating and was freezing my nuts off when I got to Slough.
So is this normal?.....once you get to a certain batery level all the extra's are turned off?
So all this "it's got this range" is really cobblers then because they are ignoring the fact the heating/aircon/heated seat/mirrors etc all won't work once the battery gets down to 30% or so

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
So is this normal?.....once you get to a certain batery level all the extra's are turned off?
So all this "it's got this range" is really cobblers then because they are ignoring the fact the heating/aircon/heated seat/mirrors etc all won't work once the battery gets down to 30% or so

Depends on the model, but most will force you into full Eco mode when the charge gets below a certain level

D

Deleted member 15344

Was freezing this morning when I was leaving work

I was a bit gutted the Corsa isn't here yet .. could have preheated no de icing

But then decided to fill up on way home.. yes took 5 mins .. no big deal but i was standing their freezing thinking couple weeks can just plug in at home and forget about it

Defo convenience for me

It was a nightmare this morning , car frozen over. Turn engine on - front and rear heat on , spray windows with de icer , get in car , nice and warm and on my way in 5 mins Max . Topped car up with a full tank in 5 mins , all done and dusted with little hassle. Nice and simple , no need to plug in car , wait around , get a power point installed at cost.

Is that what an electric car all about now - being warm when you get in it ?!