The all things EV chat thread

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Maybe hydrogen powered cars are the way forward?

I am hoping that between now and the ban that we adopt both

They work amazing but the storage is the dangerous part ATM

That's why I'm leasing my electric not buying

4 years

Then assess the market .. hopefully improvements or hydrogen

D

Deleted member 3432

The 15 new mini power plants some will be online by thenhttps://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/business-51233444

Maybe, maybe not. New builds were approved by both Blair and Cameron governments but only Hinkley Point ever got off the ground.

Certainly up here Moorside next door to Sellafield was to be built by Toshiba and operational by 2024. Never broke ground before they pulled out from Nuclear builds all together and Chinese offer to step in was politely declined.

We certainly need to increase capacity to a creaking grid but until something is built and connected up I remain sceptical and bloody windmills are not the answer.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Maybe, maybe not. New builds were approved by both Blair and Cameron governments but only Hinkley Point ever got off the ground.

Certainly up here Moorside next door to Sellafield was to be built by Toshiba and operational by 2024. Never broke ground before they pulled out from Nuclear builds all together and Chinese offer to step in was politely declined.

We certainly need to increase capacity to a creaking grid but until something is built and connected up I remain sceptical and bloody windmills are not the answer.

Battier's on houses are available

Charge up at night use during day.. move demand

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am hoping that between now and the ban that we adopt both

They work amazing but the storage is the dangerous part ATM

That's why I'm leasing my electric not buying

4 years

Then assess the market .. hopefully improvements or hydrogen
As I understand it Hydrogen is more viable for heavy-wagons etc & that's the way they'll be going.
We currently have a Social Services, Nissan enV200 Van adapted for a disability wheel-chair with a 7Kw charging point installed in the drive using off-peak over-night charging. mainly used by my wife who swears by the pre-heating facility for seats & cabin with vehicle securely locked...... big bonus in the winter, she says.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As I understand it Hydrogen is more viable for heavy-wagons etc & that's the way they'll be going.
We currently have a Social Services, Nissan enV200 Van adapted for a disability wheel-chair with a 7Kw charging point installed in the drive using off-peak over-night charging. mainly used by my wife who swears by the pre-heating facility for seats & cabin with vehicle securely locked...... big bonus in the winter, she says.

Pre heating is 100% the thing you must do

Yes winter it's amazing gets the battery to a good temp so it's most efficient.. defrosts car .. means you don't use heater full blast off battery

In summer you do to cool car so u don't blast air con

But doing all this prolongs the life of your battery

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Whilst I agree it's costing a fortune, and it has been rushed through

We have to address climate change and this will help.

I know you said about electric used being dirty but I was discussing today and apparently using gas to make electric is 98% effient and only 2% is lost in heat , where as ICE it's as low as 40% efficient with 60 of energy lost so much more efficent

Also the 15 new mini nuclear pod power plants being built sounds amazing

We may be throwing money at it but how many jobs does it create? Which brings money back in tax and boosts the economy with people able to spend

However again I agree it's very quick. It needs to be planned well (which we don't do)

In my opinion electric cars get too much focus with this goal, why are we not paying as much attention to biofuels and synthetic alternaltives to fossil fuels that burn cleaner, and also capturing and or cleansing emissions.

Even with current technology you can run an internal combustion engine on ethanol, it still produces CO2, but generally this is the same amount of CO2 absorbed by the plant that was grown to produce the ethanol. Find a way to distil it without producing CO2 (such as using solar to provide the heat), you have a much simpler solution to reducing emissions that is immediately available.

Imagine a capture technology that just requires a modification to the exhaust pipe of your vehicle, as opposed to completely scrapping ICE cars for electric.

I just feel we've jumped the gun picking a tech, rather than waiting to see what will be the best option. There is a risk the electric cars of today will go the same was as the steam cars of just over 100 years ago.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In my opinion electric cars get too much focus with this goal, why are we not paying as much attention to biofuels and synthetic alternaltives to fossil fuels that burn cleaner, and also capturing and or cleansing emissions.

Even with current technology you can run an internal combustion engine on ethanol, it still produces CO2, but generally this is the same amount of CO2 absorbed by the plant that was grown to produce the ethanol. Find a way to distil it without producing CO2 (such as using solar to provide the heat), you have a much simpler solution to reducing emissions that is immediately available.

Imagine a capture technology that just requires a modification to the exhaust pipe of your vehicle, as opposed to completely scrapping ICE cars for electric.

I just feel we've jumped the gun picking a tech, rather than waiting to see what will be the best option. There is a risk the electric cars of today will go the same was as the steam cars of just over 100 years ago.

Which is exactly why I promote leasing electric cars not owning .. then if it falls on its face it's not your problem

Same with battery issues .. if my car gets worse in 4 years oh well hand it back

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site

How long should we wait? If there is no legislation then we'd just carry on as we are.
Battery tech development will be important in the future and enable us to store excess energy. Which when applied to other areas such as buildings and homes could be a game changer.

Electric powered cars have the advantage of not producing emissions at the point of use (not strictly true as there is still break and tyre dust to consider) and being quieter. Win win.

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
Pal you have your figures sorted and a use for it, I'd love to be doing 20k plus a year but at less than 4k even my leased battery ZOE had to go as pence per mile it didn't work for me over petrol. and the London charges are another saving again worth the investment not to pay the government to visit work :-(

I'm waiting for the Chinese invasion of cheap EV's as they say the XIAOMI of the ev world is coming.

64 plate VW UP with monthly £15 spend will stay for a while longer.

12k mile allowance

£275 a month but I pay £295 on my current PCP which balloon payment is 12,500. The MIL is paying that and taking ownership of that car as she wants a bigger car. Not suitable for us now. Cost of this lease 13,500.. however that £20 less I pay per month is what my electric cost will be on my electric charging tariff . My monthly commuting costs goes from £120 to £20 over 4 years almost £5k which is prob would the car im selling would be worth by then

I also own a 4 year old seat Alhambra that is staying as the family car . That's paid for outright in April , that's what I was using for work as was more economical than the other one so that goes from 3 tanks every 2 months to a tank every 2

Obviously the electric car gets nightly top ups off my house

Also if Boris trys to force congestion charge onto the north circular in London it adds £15 per day to my commute where as until Xmas 2025 electric cars are congestion charge except. Just incase

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Pal you have your figures sorted and a use for it, I'd love to be doing 20k plus a year but at less than 4k even my leased battery ZOE had to go as pence per mile it didn't work for me over petrol. and the London charges are another saving again worth the investment not to pay the government to visit work :-(

I'm waiting for the Chinese invasion of cheap EV's as they say the XIAOMI of the ev world is coming.

64 plate VW UP with monthly £15 spend will stay for a while longer.

Yeah they defo don't suit everyone. If it was just me on my own I doubt I could have one as going golf sometimes would be further than the range

But with it behind a family of 5 if I need to go far I take the alhambra and the wife can fit the 3 kids in the Corsa no problem

It same with my mate at work who has a leaf .. that's one his cars his other is litterally a Hyundai mini bus type thing. Slightly smaller than a van but holds his 3 kids with more space in back

Him and his wife rotate the leaf for whoever's at work has the leaf

My wife (when she does return to work lol) will be back on the tube

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
How long should we wait? If there is no legislation then we'd just carry on as we are.
Battery tech development will be important in the future and enable us to store excess energy. Which when applied to other areas such as buildings and homes could be a game changer.

Electric powered cars have the advantage of not producing emissions at the point of use (not strictly true as there is still break and tyre dust to consider) and being quieter. Win win.

We should wait as long as needed before committing. Waiting doesn't mean not developing new technology, but if you mandate that ICE cars will be banned, you also mandate to stop developing ICE engines further and reduce your number of possible solutions.

Battery tech may or may not be important, depending on how we source future energy, and what other developments come. I'm all for pushing battery tech forward, just not for mandating such that this be the only solution, or that other options have less viability.

Looking at this with a cynical viewpoint, the legislation is really to protect businesses that have gone down this route, rather than to be green. If it was really about the environment why not mandate an acceptable level of emissions per vehicle that reduces annually, meaning any tech that can achieve it is viable, instead of mandating for or against certain techs. It would have immediate impact, set clear goals, and be open to all, if only that was the real aim.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We should wait as long as needed before committing. Waiting doesn't mean not developing new technology, but if you mandate that ICE cars will be banned, you also mandate to stop developing ICE engines further and reduce your number of possible solutions.

Battery tech may or may not be important, depending on how we source future energy, and what other developments come. I'm all for pushing battery tech forward, just not for mandating such that this be the only solution, or that other options have less viability.

Looking at this with a cynical viewpoint, the legislation is really to protect businesses that have gone down this route, rather than to be green. If it was really about the environment why not mandate an acceptable level of emissions per vehicle that reduces annually, meaning any tech that can achieve it is viable, instead of mandating for or against certain techs. It would have immediate impact, set clear goals, and be open to all, if only that was the real aim.

You can go a step further and say we are removing power from the oil rich Arab nations long term

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Electric cars have the option in all then to use engine braking to reclaim waste energy and recharge battery

Saves your brakes away so does reduce that emissions slightly

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site

As far as I am aware, no one has mandated the use of electrical battery powered vehicles. Just the sale of petrol and diesel Ice.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As far as I am aware, no one has mandated the use of electrical battery powered vehicles. Just the sale of petrol and diesel Ice.

And the point always seemed to be brushed over is that it's new cars

My Alhambra is now 4 years old

I could buy a 4 year old car in 2033
A 15 year old one in 2044

Then hybrids add another 5 years

So it's a long way until you "have" to buy one

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You can go a step further and say we are removing power from the oil rich Arab nations long term
Isn't that what using up the oil reserves is doing anyway?
And by going to purely leccy cars, aren't we putting a greater control into the fewer number of countries who actually have the litium reserves we want to mine?

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My Alhambra is now 4 years old
If you're trying to be eco consious, why then do you need a minibus to transport 2 adults and 3 kids about?
I would accept your new EV purchase more if your other car was a focus/golf size (which will seat 2 adults and 3 kids in safely ) but when you have a minibus that in all honesty you don't really need oyu sort of lose my understanding:)

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you're trying to be eco consious, why then do you need a minibus to transport 2 adults and 3 kids about?
I would accept your new EV purchase more if your other car was a focus/golf size (which will seat 2 adults and 3 kids in safely ) but when you have a minibus that in all honesty you don't really need oyu sort of lose my understanding:)
Actually no you can't

Have you looked into car seat law? Only 5 cars on the market fit 3 child seats accross back row

Alhambra
Sharon
C4 grand
Galaxy
S max

All massive

Plus look at the size of the buggy I have to transport

20201129_110658_copy_1024x1644.jpg

This takes up half the boot when folded so leaving the rest to carry out other baby stuff

Also if we go out with our bubble can go in 1 car not two which is very eco friendly

When my 3 yo hits 12 or 135 cm I can get a normal car again

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
All this talk of buying or leasing EVs and how far they'll go etc etc is all going to be irrelevant by 2030 as nobody will have a car - well just call up a driverless one and tell it where we want to go......wont we?