Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Have just ordered an e Corsa

£800 down

£275 a month 4 year lease

Arrives in few weeks

211 mile range

My lass swapped her golf for the new corsa, petrol mind but I have been stealing it if it’s at the front of the drive as she has nowhere to go anyway.
Nice car and not your typical offering of Vauxhall of old. It gets lots of compliments on its new looks.

Its changed its language to Spanish though twice, easily rectified. Got a sweary phone call one morning as apparently I changed the language on purpose and she didn’t no how fast she was going as it was in kilometres.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My lass swapped her golf for the new corsa, petrol mind but I have been stealing it if it’s at the front of the drive as she has nowhere to go anyway.
Nice car and not your typical offering of Vauxhall of old. It gets lots of compliments on its new looks.

Its changed its language to Spanish though twice, easily rectified. Got a sweary phone call one morning as apparently I changed the language on purpose and she didn’t no how fast she was going as it was in kilometres.

My Mrs is the same ... Doesn't know how anything works and always my fault

Car looks amazing tbh I was surprised

Can't wait for it to arrive

Save £20 a month on the cost compared to my PCP and electric becomes £20 a month .. breaking even.. saves £100 pm in petrol

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
Miles per years allowance? or unlimited miles ? I love lekky but still can't get my head around paying £275 a month for any car unless your doing 20k a year + and have some sort of BIK

Have just ordered an e Corsa

£800 down

£275 a month 4 year lease

Arrives in few weeks

211 mile range

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Miles per years allowance? or unlimited miles ? I love lekky but still can't get my head around paying £275 a month for any car unless your doing 20k a year + and have some sort of BIK

12k mile allowance

£275 a month but I pay £295 on my current PCP which balloon payment is 12,500. The MIL is paying that and taking ownership of that car as she wants a bigger car. Not suitable for us now. Cost of this lease 13,500.. however that £20 less I pay per month is what my electric cost will be on my electric charging tariff . My monthly commuting costs goes from £120 to £20 over 4 years almost £5k which is prob would the car im selling would be worth by then

I also own a 4 year old seat Alhambra that is staying as the family car . That's paid for outright in April , that's what I was using for work as was more economical than the other one so that goes from 3 tanks every 2 months to a tank every 2

Obviously the electric car gets nightly top ups off my house

Also if Boris trys to force congestion charge onto the north circular in London it adds £15 per day to my commute where as until Xmas 2025 electric cars are congestion charge except. Just incase

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I was driving to work today in my Z4. The orange petrol light is on, saying 56 mile range left, so I need to fill it up.

For most small electric cars, this would be effectively half full, and yet I feel the need to fill up with petrol.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I was driving to work today in my Z4. The orange petrol light is on, saying 56 mile range left, so I need to fill it up.

For most small electric cars, this would be effectively half full, and yet I feel the need to fill up with petrol.

But.....you can fill up your electric car at home, so it wouldn't be half full, you can't do that with your Z4

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
But.....you can fill up your electric car at home, so it wouldn't be half full, you can't do that with your Z4

For sure, but if it was only half charged, then it probably wouldn't need charging, as relatively, it is half charged. Where as my Z4 feels nearly empty, but has the same range.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
For sure, but if it was only half charged, then it probably wouldn't need charging, as relatively, it is half charged. Where as my Z4 feels nearly empty, but has the same range.

I guess it depends on how long your journey is.
Even if you do run out of electricity, help is on its way

1_0x0_790x520_0x520_rac-ev-boost-charge.jpgmmmm.jpg

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Yes - but not yet.

Love the Tesla looks and styling, just not happy with the range they can get to unless you go for a top of the range model.

Just brought a brand new Mercedes CLA (collected Wednesday) so im not in the market for 5 years now! Hopefully by then I can go electric!

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I struggle to see electric as the way forward with current battery technology. How replacing internal combustion which can be fueled from empty to the brim in a matter of minutes, which a technology that has to be charged overnight is seen as an upgrade baffles me.

Hopefully some clean technology comes along that allows the same speed of refueling, perhaps batteries that work off a different checmical reaction and you just fill them with the chemicals needed from a pump, that kind of thing.

I know you can get fast chargers, I know you charge them overnight, but what about the unforeseen instances like you've been driving all day then in the evening a child gets stranded somewhere due to train cancellation, your Mrs goes into labour, the family pet has an urgent issue and needs to go to the emergency vet etc... - do you just wait an hour to top the battery up, or tell them to hold on whilst we nip out to a fast charger and give it a 30 min blast?

DCB

Visit site
I struggle to see electric as the way forward with current battery technology. How replacing internal combustion which can be fueled from empty to the brim in a matter of minutes, which a technology that has to be charged overnight is seen as an upgrade baffles me.

Hopefully some clean technology comes along that allows the same speed of refueling, perhaps batteries that work off a different checmical reaction and you just fill them with the chemicals needed from a pump, that kind of thing.

I know you can get fast chargers, I know you charge them overnight, but what about the unforeseen instances like you've been driving all day then in the evening a child gets stranded somewhere due to train cancellation, your Mrs goes into labour, the family pet has an urgent issue and needs to go to the emergency vet etc... - do you just wait an hour to top the battery up, or tell them to hold on whilst we nip out to a fast charger and give it a 30 min blast?

Never mind cars, what are we going to do to heat our homes when we cant fit gas or oil fired boilers .....

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

All the cars with that small range are mainly city cars

In the city you get more range per charge where are cars it's the other way round.

Just reminds me of Johnny English taking Mick out of the electric BMW he raced that it would run out of charged .. he then forgot to fill up and broke down...

Doodle

Visit site
In a word, No.
There are way too many drawbacks & unless there is a massive leap forward in technology then there is no chance we will stop selling petrol or diesel cars by 2030.
An electric car may work for some as a city car, but to my mind that's as good as it gets.
For an electric car to be a viable option for me, it would have to have the range of a petrol car & be able to be charged in the same time frame as it would take to fill up with petrol / diesel.
I am also dubious about the green credentials.
To actually manufacture the cars uses huge resources & the batteries use metals & minerals which are mined by dubious methods.
Then there is the question of being able to safely / economically & environmentally recycle the batteries.
Given this county's appalling record of delivering large infrastructure projects on time & on budget, I have zero confidence of our ability in install enough charging points.
Also I have doubts that there will be enough capacity within the national grid to cope with large scale demand.
In short, it's an ill thought out policy, they have jumped the gun & announced a policy when the technology is in it's infancy & not real world ready.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In a word, No.
There are way too many drawbacks & unless there is a massive leap forward in technology then there is no chance we will stop selling petrol or diesel cars by 2030.
An electric car may work for some as a city car, but to my mind that's as good as it gets.
For an electric car to be a viable option for me, it would have to have the range of a petrol car & be able to be charged in the same time frame as it would take to fill up with petrol / diesel.
I am also dubious about the green credentials.
To actually manufacture the cars uses huge resources & the batteries use metals & minerals which are mined by dubious methods.
Then there is the question of being able to safely / economically & environmentally recycle the batteries.
Given this county's appalling record of delivering large infrastructure projects on time & on budget, I have zero confidence of our ability in install enough charging points.
Also I have doubts that there will be enough capacity within the national grid to cope with large scale demand.
In short, it's an ill thought out policy, they have jumped the gun & announced a policy when the technology is in it's infancy & not real world ready.

People get far to bogged down on 2030 stop selling ice cars

Stop selling new ones

2029 they will still be sold until

Then how long do second hand cars last 20 years at least? So 2040 you will still be able to pick one up

Hybrid ban is 2035 .. more cars coming with hyrbid tech that you still fill up so that pushes the date back even further

Plenty of time for electric to have the range and charging speed

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
All the cars with that small range are mainly city cars

In the city you get more range per charge where are cars it's the other way round.

Just reminds me of Johnny English taking Mick out of the electric BMW he raced that it would run out of charged .. he then forgot to fill up and broke down...

My comment was less about actual range, and more about relativity, and how things are perceived.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Also if Boris trys to force congestion charge onto the north circular in London it adds £15 per day to my commute where as until Xmas 2025 electric cars are congestion charge except. Just incase[/QUOTE
Dont you find it ironic that electric cars are "congestion charge free" when the last time I studied physics, an electric car had similar mass and volume as an ICE car so still contributes to the "congestion" of London..