The all things EV chat thread

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
There'll still be oil tankers Bob.
When we eventually rid ourselves of using petroleum, strikes me that oil tankers could be repurposed by covering their decks with solar panels, installing electrolysers and hydrogen storage facilities, and sailing them to wherever the sun is shining.

Hydrogen isn't really a sensible fuel for domestic use, but it's certainly a convenient energy storage medium.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This has some good facts and talks around the issues of lithium and batteries for cars - while also looking at social, logistical and environmental issues.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's amazing what you can find when you can't sleep.

If I had a Tesla model 3, I'd be very tempted.... :D

https://www.mg.co.uk/new-cars/mg5-ev

This is what's caught my eye ATM

Much more reasonable price (27k, think a focus estate is 23 brand new? So least that's a cheaper gap)

7 year warranty, 250 miles to a charge (57 kw usable battery)

Got 3 more years until my next change.. will be fascinated to see the advances from now until then

PIng

Head Pro
Visit site
https://www.mg.co.uk/new-cars/mg5-ev

This is what's caught my eye ATM

Much more reasonable price (27k, think a focus estate is 23 brand new? So least that's a cheaper gap)

7 year warranty, 250 miles to a charge (57 kw usable battery)

Got 3 more years until my next change.. will be fascinated to see the advances from now until then
Seriously considering a MG5 as my next car, just trying to decide whether to buy outright, lease or PCP.
I'm currently leasing a Ioniq Electric via works scheme. Fantastic car, but I need something with a bit more bootspace.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Seriously considering a MG5 as my next car, just trying to decide whether to buy outright, lease or PCP.
I'm currently leasing a Ioniq Electric via works scheme. Fantastic car, but I need something with a bit more bootspace.

Lease id say. Can pick one up for £320 a month 12,000 miles

But also gives you the option to hand back in 3-4 years if it doesn't hold up well or just the tech advances that u want to switch to something that has longer range

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

Would you consider going back to a petrol/diesel car next?

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thing I detest with most MG's, is they dont have green glass just your 1970's untinted low rent stuff.
It puts me straight off;)

greenone

Visit site
When we eventually rid ourselves of using petroleum, strikes me that oil tankers could be repurposed by covering their decks with solar panels, installing electrolysers and hydrogen storage facilities, and sailing them to wherever the sun is shining.

Hydrogen isn't really a sensible fuel for domestic use, but it's certainly a convenient energy storage medium.
When we stop using petroleum we still need a hell of a lot of oil.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Have you ever seen the cost of a brand new ICE?
This isn't brand new, this is a replacement battery. Just the battery.

Are you telling me 8 year old petrol or diesel cars need a new engine? I don't think so, but even if they did they are not that price. In most cases the engine outlasts the useful life of a car, especially diesel.