The all things EV chat thread

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
I’d love to get an electrical car, but we just haven’t got the charging facilities up here in the Highlands yet, hopefully in time, but I’m not holding my breath.

We don't even have any infrastructure to speak of down here and when I move to EV it will likely be reliant on home charging.

I was just looking at rail stations I used to use to commute. Croy station has a massive car park, some 900+ spaces all in, 6 (yes SIX) charging points. Inverkeithing, 400+ spaces all in, 1 charge point. Dunfermline Town, around 200 spaces, no charge point. That's incredible, absolutely incredible.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think one factor is that EVs have a much higher acquisition price compared to a similar internal combustion vehicle. In the old days of average mileage of 10-12k a year, you would make some of that back in savings on fuel, tax and servicing.

That plan falls over a bit when we are doing so few miles, though.

I nearly placed an order for an EV in October, but the waiting time, then June-July 22 delivery, put me off.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think one factor is that EVs have a much higher acquisition price compared to a similar internal combustion vehicle. In the old days of average mileage of 10-12k a year, you would make some of that back in savings on fuel, tax and servicing.

That plan falls over a bit when we are doing so few miles, though.

I nearly placed an order for an EV in October, but the waiting time, then June-July 22 delivery, put me off.

Tesla build the sales around the savings long term , they factor it into the costs when you do the online calculators

Very tempted next time with a model 3 but the Kia's and Hyundai entries are starting to look very good .. or the Skoda version

Plenty of options coming

Defo the more miles you drive the better for saving tho as you say

I find them a more pleasant drive. However that's personal choice I just enjoy the get in and gokart style instant just go

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Tesla build the sales around the savings long term , they factor it into the costs when you do the online calculators

Very tempted next time with a model 3 but the Kia's and Hyundai entries are starting to look very good .. or the Skoda version

Plenty of options coming

I find them a more pleasant drive. However that's personal choice I just enjoy the get in and gokart style instant just go

I test drove a Polestar 2 and a BMW iX, both lovely drives, if rather different from each other. The Hyundai Ioniq 5 looks nice, not so sure about the Kia EV6. Genesis, niche brand of Hyundai looks possibly interesting.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site

Plenty of options coming

Kia EV6 is looking like a very attractive option for many. Unfortunately being plagued by the same production delays as many manufacturers though.

Nio, a Chinese brand is due to launch a couple of models this year and, again some decent looking options in amongst them.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Kia EV6 is looking like a very attractive option for many. Unfortunately being plagued by the same production delays as many manufacturers though.

Nio, a Chinese brand is due to launch a couple of models this year and, again some decent looking options in amongst them.

Its good to see options coming, I mean we had nissan and telsa for years so either meh or ££££ that was the real choice

Now there is middle ground

Feel a bit for nissan they put the leg work into the market but for example ccs2 is the future charger .. more of them being installed but nissan who help built the network used chademo so less of them about now ..

Also their cars are less of an option they went for 40kw batteries but others starting at 50 now which is a better base .. the 62kw leaf becomes costly which pushes into model 3 money almost

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I am telling how it is for me and the majority at the moment while fully acknowledging and accepting that all arguments in favour of electric cars for the majority now are being chipped away bit-by-bit year-by-year - yet you and certain others cannot accept that while they work for you, they do not for a lot of people AT THE MOMENT!

Maybe you missed my post...

Yes, we know Evs aren't for everyone yet but clever people all over the world are trying to make the transition as easy and painless as possible. The cost of purchase is coming down, the range is increasing and the charging infrastructure is growing every day.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes, we know Evs aren't for everyone yet but clever people all over the world are trying to make the transition as easy and painless as possible. The cost of purchase is coming down, the range is increasing and the charging infrastructure is growing every day.

not sure how to comment on that Bob - i guess those of that are "not trrying to make the transition" then, or the large majority of car users, are just the thickies

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
not sure how to comment on that Bob - i guess those of that are "not trrying to make the transition" then, or the large majority of car users, are just the thickies

Way to make a quote wrong. He said

clever people are trying to make it AS easy and painless as possible.

One sentence.

Not clever people are trying to make the transition.

Two completely different statements.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think what he means is the tickies that oppose the switch just because they don't like change and there's no changing their mind no matter what

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Way to make a quote wrong. He said

clever people are trying to make it AS easy and painless as possible.

One sentence.

Not clever people are trying to make the transition.

Two completely different statements.

Fair point. Apologies Bob for misreading but still does not change anything I have said before. To repeat again, we all accept it is coming, we know it will get incrementally easier to make the switch year on year but it will take years for it to make sense to a lot of people

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Just to be crystal clear...
I meant clever people are improving battery technology/range, bringing down the costs and improving the charging infrastructure to make it easier for more people to move from ICE cars to EVs, If they want to.
We all know EVs are expensive, the range isn't big enough for some and some can't charge at home.
Every scientist who is working on EVs knows that, we all know it, I even repeated it for the umpteenth time in post no. 1599 and still we are reminded.
I get it, not everyone wants an EV now. Fine, buy a brand new ICE car in 2029 and drive it for 20 years, I don't care.
The post I made reference the Mercedes with a 500 mile range shows to those who may be interested that things are changing faster than some think, bearing in mind 11 years ago, the Nissan Leaf range was about 60-80 miles.

But if you having something new and or interesting to say about why you would or would not buy an EV, lets hear it.
If not, spare us the boredom of repeating ourselves because that's boring to the EV haters too.
Thank you

theoneandonly

Blackballed
Visit site
It's the cost and energy requirements to produce hydrogen that are the main issue. It's the most abundant element in the universe but takes a lot of energy to produce. There are some plants coming online that they reckon will produce it using renewable energy but how much it makes is a different matter.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I still reckon Hydrogen isn’t dead yet
Considering the ethical issues with mining lithium,
They just need to get away from the Hindenburg image

If the solid state batteries come on line soon then I think hydrogen for cars will die out, it's just too far behind The EV market.
But for larger vehicles maybe

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
It's the cost and energy requirements to produce hydrogen that are the main issue. It's the most abundant element in the universe but takes a lot of energy to produce. There are some plants coming online that they reckon will produce it using renewable energy but how much it makes is a different matter.
In main current process though, it also has the beneficial effect of removing methane, though (a relatively small amount of) CO2 is also produced.
https://www.energy.gov/eere/fuelcells/hydrogen-production-natural-gas-reforming

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Evs remind me a bit of smart phones (just without the must switch bit)

We got to a stage with the brilliant Nokia 3310 that latest like a week..

Then the smart phones came. The batteries were rubbish

Tech has moved on now less people use the older phones ..batteries are better but still don't last forever but the charge times are now amazing on some. 30 mins up to 80% etc

We have adapted a lot, charge at other places .. like pc at work might plug in.. top up often as possible if we can

Charge at home more often than before but we happier with what they provide now

At first we didn't like it tho