The all things EV chat thread

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was shopping for an EV, had driven a Polestar 2 and a BMW iX, and liked both, although quite different. The Polestar is a smaller car, but lovely to drive and can be quite relaxing to drive or a flying machine. The iX is a big luxury space and very cocooning. Polestar have some pre-configured cars available at shortish lead times, iX is booking now for July delivery. I also liked the look of the i4 but haven't seen one. Saw the petrol version, looks good, but as with iX, July earliest.

Now I have decided to delay until spring 2022, when some more choice will be available.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was out at the EV show in Gothenburg, saw all the main contenders and got to see some newer ones coming.
Ioniq5 .. really nice very comfortable
EV6 .. same platform more sportier feel but well appointed
the Mercedes EQS was okay but the plastics and the dash were covered in finger marks and felt cheap. But the car did not look huge, and the battery range is impressive so long wheel base luxury sedans are ideal for EVs .
I like the Ford, it feels like a Ford and there is a comfort in that, but it moves you on. Audi is the same in that respect. I don’t like ultra modern because it ages badly. BMW was good but not sure whether people will by into the sustainable interior fabrics ( some look like they are from a fiesta of the 80s!)
Polestar look good, but they have seriously got their loads incorrect for the wheel and tyre combination… 2 up it’s perfect, but fully laden it could be unpredictable.
New Renault I think could be a very popular option… boot space is deep and long, battery 2 options with a 250mile range max. Interior crossed nicely over from conventional to modern. Competitor set is ID3 .. so prices in that range.

The motorbikes are awesome different styles .. street, tourers and trail … and no gears ???
Retro electricification was also represented, Tesla units in classic 911 ( which .. I like) and great big American cars, which work easily .. this is a future I like ?

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

The motorbikes are awesome different styles .. street, tourers and trail … and no gears ???
Retro electricification was also represented, Tesla units in classic 911 ( which .. I like) and great big American cars, which work easily .. this is a future I like ?

And where's the fun in that? :unsure:

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was out at the EV show in Gothenburg, saw all the main contenders and got to see some newer ones coming.
Ioniq5 .. really nice very comfortable
EV6 .. same platform more sportier feel but well appointed
the Mercedes EQS was okay but the plastics and the dash were covered in finger marks and felt cheap. But the car did not look huge, and the battery range is impressive so long wheel base luxury sedans are ideal for EVs .
I like the Ford, it feels like a Ford and there is a comfort in that, but it moves you on. Audi is the same in that respect. I don’t like ultra modern because it ages badly. BMW was good but not sure whether people will by into the sustainable interior fabrics ( some look like they are from a fiesta of the 80s!)
Polestar look good, but they have seriously got their loads incorrect for the wheel and tyre combination… 2 up it’s perfect, but fully laden it could be unpredictable.
New Renault I think could be a very popular option… boot space is deep and long, battery 2 options with a 250mile range max. Interior crossed nicely over from conventional to modern. Competitor set is ID3 .. so prices in that range.

Tell me more about this

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Tell me more about this
Tyre load capacity is set at 2.9bar and your legally supposed to utilise a minimum of 88% of this figure. You can increase pressure up to 3.4bar to get more load capacity and they have but actual utilisation 88%+ meaning when you get into load transfer situation the tyre will be saturated … this means the car balance becomes unpredictable. The situation is okay if the vehicle has no dynamic intentions or the driver is not looking to thrash it, but that’s not what polestar had in mind. They packaged for a size tyre that did not allow them to have a weight increase as the program matured. It’s just a case of non car people making cars bit like your window cleaner giving dental advice.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you don't want a riding experience buy a twist and go moped. Motorcycles are meant to be fun and engaging, an automatic sounds boring to me.
That argument could be applied to golf clubs..460cc drivers are boring they make the game slow because the encourage people to swing out their boots and don’t promote skill or punish hard enough..

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
That argument could be applied to golf clubs..460cc drivers are boring they make the game slow because the encourage people to swing out their boots and don’t promote skill or punish hard enough..

I dont recall, whilst being fitted for a 460cc driver, being encouraged to swing "out of my boots" ever

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Having a PHEV I quite like the fact it is auto. But I agree that when riding a motorbike it's a much more organic thing, and slipping up and down the gears is part of the whole experience for me. (Probably OK for Harley's, Gold Wings and others of that ilk though ?).

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you don't want a riding experience buy a twist and go moped. Motorcycles are meant to be fun and engaging, an automatic sounds boring to me.
So not about speed ? The freedom to concentrate more on the balance the line etc … I am sure if a racing bike with no gears was released it would dominate.